Another New Picture

Started by Shasvre, Jan 14, 2012, 09:38:57 PM

Author
Another New Picture (Read 59,056 times)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 14, 2012, 11:07:47 PM
Quote from: csm1013 on Jan 14, 2012, 11:05:32 PM
Sorry to come off as ignorant, but when was it established the 79 was a suit?
"Therefore, who is that, inside that suit? That wasn't a skeleton, that was a suit. And if you open up the suit, what do you get inside it? And why were they going, where were they going?"
Source

Actually having to quote these words is almost like a self-stab. Grrrrkkkk.
That was a suit. A suit with GUMBOOTS! I won't accept it. If Ridley is gonna tell us that the 79 SJ was wearing gumboots, well... it better be done right.

-Chris

EDIT: less speckled version here: http://pic.prometheusforum.net/noomi-jockey-suit.jpg

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: csm1013 on Jan 14, 2012, 11:14:14 PM
Sorry bout that, thanks for the info!
No problem. I wish I could still tell you it was something whispered backstage some years ago and never heard of again.

Cvalda

Cvalda

As much as some of us--myself included--are complaining about the Jockey being a suit, I think it's important to remember it was always conceived of as being such. Giger even stated as much in an old interview, indicating that the trunk is actually an airhose for the humanoid inside to breathe through. His original concept art for the Jockey even included a translucent helmet around the head:

Wobblyboddle77

Wobblyboddle77

Well fox are certainly letting us see plenty of engineer/space jockey related material, well happy with that, i think they're gradually trying to do a balancing act of keeping the core base alien fans happy alongside introducing this as a grand mythology to a new generation of a fans. But those statues behind Noomi look great, Scott seems to have hit the nail on the head with the lighting too, imagine how freaky those 'statues' look in 3D, and believe me i'm on the fence about 3D usually. One thing though, it's hard too make out do you think the anaemic Dr Manhatten can fit into one of them? 

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Cvalda on Jan 14, 2012, 11:31:12 PM
As much as some of us--myself included--are complaining about the Jockey being a suit, I think it's important to remember it was always conceived of as being such. Giger even stated as much in an old interview, indicating that the trunk is actually an airhose for the humanoid inside to breathe through. His original concept art for the Jockey even included a translucent helmet around the head:

The last would be a hint that it was supposed to be a creature itself.
What Giger said about the Jockey was this...
"The creature we finally ended up building is biomechanical to the extent that he has physically grown into, or maybe even out of, his seat – he's integrated totally into the function he performs."
Which is not exactly saying it was a suit. Where did he say about this airhose thing?

Nice avatar by the way. :)

Quote from: Cvalda on Jan 14, 2012, 11:31:12 PM

I agree with you in part - but we need a DAMNED good reason as to why he is so 'snuggly' connected to this machine? I like my PC, but jeez....

Cvalda

Cvalda

Also, as I mentioned earlier, the Jockey suit design looks somewhat similar to Giger's earlier spacesuit design from an earlier short film. Unfortunately, in the process of moving back to the US from the UK I had to leave many of my Giger art books behind that had more detailed images, including a better look at his boots, but I did manage to dig up and scan this from an old issue of Cinefantastique:

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

Quote from: 180924609 on Jan 14, 2012, 11:36:26 PM
I like my PC, but jeez....

For photorealistic por...uhm graphics !

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 14, 2012, 11:35:42 PM
The last would be a hint that it was supposed to be a creature itself.
What Giger said about the Jockey was this...
"The creature we finally ended up building is biomechanical to the extent that he has physically grown into, or maybe even out of, his seat – he's integrated totally into the function he performs."
Which is not exactly saying it was a suit. Where did he say about this airhose thing?
It's an old print interview he did, I believe. Read it ages ago. Currently digging through my far-too-extensive ALIEN library to find it  :P
Nice avatar by the way. :)
Thanks!  ;D

Ash 937

Ash 937

The movie was initially billed as a prequel to Scott's 1979 hit "Alien," but the filmmaker and the studio behind the picture, 20th Century Fox, have since tried to distance it from that label.

Does anyone else find it odd that they are STILL trying play down the fact that this is a prequel?

It really doesnt matter how cool the SJ suit is. OK, its giant, but so what? Na'vi Jake Sully was a giant but after about 10 seconds of him being on screen you forgot that and visually treat him as just a regular guy (but colored blue).

The fact of the matter is that, in ALIEN, when Dallas, Kane and Lambert first encountered the SJ:
Underneath he was just a bald man with a nose, two ears, two eyes, a neck etc. Alien? What an insult! Its worse than Darth Vader being the creator of C3PO.

Does the Space Jockey have a Coccyx tailbone?

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: 180924609 on Jan 14, 2012, 11:58:10 PM
The fact of the matter is that, in ALIEN, when Dallas, Kane and Lambert first encountered the SJ:
Underneath he was just a bald man with a nose, two ears, two eyes, a neck etc. Alien? What an insult! Its worse than Darth Vader being the creator of C3PO.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I still think we have good reason to stay cautiously optimistic. The design of the Engineer may be, well, underwhelming (to put it extremely mildly), but perhaps what he does in the story may make up for that.

SHREK

SHREK

very dissapointed to find out in the end after all these years... the space jockey was just a a bold guy in a suit. well there goes the last little good thing that was left in the alien franchise, oh well.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

It's made me feel ill thinking about a group of five twenty somethings pouring out concept designs. The concept designers for Alien were a bit more mature in age than that. Who wants to think of designing for Alien movies being like playing computer games?

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

I still don't understand the hate for the idea of the Jockey being a humanoid in a suit. Why is that concept bad? No really, I want to understand this. I love the idea that the enemy looks a bit like us (or what we might think is the enemy).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed