SOPA strike

Started by Predator Queen, Jan 14, 2012, 02:40:43 AM

Author
SOPA strike (Read 38,160 times)

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

I love how people keep raging about all the things that SOPA's going to put a stop to, without realizing that they're already quite illegal, and all SOPA does is readdress the penalties for those things.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

your sig could be illegal if they want it to.

Pn2501

Pn2501

anything promoting that show should be illegal  ;D

Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jan 15, 2012, 01:57:28 AM
your sig could be illegal if they want it to.

I'm pretty sure that was exactly the point I was trying to make, chupa ol' buddy.

Quote from: Pn2501 on Jan 15, 2012, 02:16:36 AM
anything promoting that show should be illegal  ;D

bite me, fanboy.  ;D

Ghostface

Ghostface

Gate

Gate

The Strike is still happening, I believe

The Golden Fox

The Golden Fox

Wikipedia is going to black out in 21 hours in protest.

I hope Google does something as well, even if it's just changing their 'Google-title' thing to an anti-SOPA message.

Gate

Gate

We still have to worry about Protect-IP.

Protect-IP can still land us a felony and no way to build our lives up from even 2 seconds of a movie or song appearing in our work

The Golden Fox

The Golden Fox

Kudos to AvPGalaxy and its host for fighting the good fight.

We're all doing the best we can, and with a little luck and determination, it'll be enough to stop these initiatives.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

People act like downloading things legally will hurt media when movies, games and music still make a lot of money. More people will rather sit down and watch a movie on a big screen then watch it on a PC at home.

Darkness

Darkness

If those items weren't so expensive in the first place, people wouldn't need to download stuff on pirate.

The Golden Fox

The Golden Fox

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jan 18, 2012, 10:09:08 PM
People act like downloading things legally will hurt media when movies, games and music still make a lot of money. More people will rather sit down and watch a movie on a big screen then watch it on a PC at home.

That's not even the issue at hand here, whether their public intentions were right or wrong, or whether or not piracy hurts the industry. It's the effect that such an iniative would have on the Internet.

On that note, you can't stop piracy in the manner which they proposed. Pirates would simply find a way around it. The only way is to offer potential downloaders something better than piracy (What that may be, I'm not quite sure).

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: The Golden Fox on Jan 18, 2012, 10:15:43 PMThe only way is to offer potential downloaders something better than piracy (What that may be, I'm not quite sure).

Things like Spotify works great. I don't think I've downloaded a song since I got that.

Valaquen

Valaquen

I wouldn't have known, fanned, or experienced half the things I have if it weren't for the net and D/L'ing. Quality control - I always buy the shit that I deem to deserve it. Great movies, music, etc. I've bolstered my DVD/BD collection considerably thanks to D/L'ing, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to dare waste my money.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

QuoteIf those items weren't so expensive in the first place, people wouldn't need to download stuff on pirate.

Movies and Games still make a lot of money even with people downloading them. Recent movies like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3, Transformers 3 and the final Harry Potter movie made over 1 billion worldwide. The 3rd Modern Warfare game also made around 1 billion in sales from what I can remember.

I don't think downloading effects the media that much. X-Men Origins: Wolverine was leak on the web a month and half before it was release and still did fine at the box office.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed