Most anticipated movies for 2012?

Started by ryanjayhawk, Jan 04, 2012, 03:49:10 PM

Author
Most anticipated movies for 2012? (Read 2,460 times)

ryanjayhawk

Is anyone else confused why Prometheus isn't popping up on more of these lists?  I have come across three in the past week as I look at the news, and none has featured Prometheus?  While the movie certainly has it's share of fanboys... on paper this movie should be making these lists purely on it's own merits.

1. Ridley Scott's first return to Sci-Fi since "Blade Runner" which is currently list as number 97 on AFI's top 100 movies of all time.

2. Prometheus is an indirect (or possibly direct) prequel to Alien, the movie has been 31 years in the making.

Thoughts?

Highland

Depends what lists you look at. On most sci fi/nerd sites it's the number 1 movie.

Also just speaking to a few friends who are not hardcore Alien fans, it's pretty well hyped.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

When something is so well hyped liked Prometheus, a lot of sites deliberately focus on other possibilities. And then of course there are those who genuinely don't give a toss....not everyone is an Alien fan! 

ryanjayhawk

My confusion though is that the movie has credentials that go beyond fan boys.

I feel like while we focus on the movie due mainly to it's ties to Alien... that even people who don't consider Alien one of their favorite movies or are more your average movie goer would still consider Prometheus one of the most anticipated movies of 2012 based on the things I mentioned first post. 

I mean on some level there has been 31 years of anticipation for this movie, so ignoring it on lists of most anticipated movies of the year seems to be wrong on so many levels.

Spidey3121

Right, on some levels, not all. Certain people are interested, others aren't. If you're not a fan of the Sci-Fi genre, it's easy to see why they wouldn't care, regardless of any credentials the film might have.

whiterabbit

Comic book readers and children with parents out number sci-fi/horror fans. It's the R vs PG-13 thing too.

Scree

Scree

Yes, I don't get it either. This should easily be among the most anticipated movies everywhere! We're talking about Ridley Scott returning to his Alien and Sci-Fi roots. This will be the greatest thing since George Lucas' return to Star Wars or Steven Spielberg's return to Indiana Jones....oh wait...

evolution_rex

Can anyone give a few links of the most anticipated lists? I would like to see some.

But, yeah, it doesn't surprise me that its not so anticipated. Most people I know haven't even heard of it. Everyone is just going crazy for The Dark Knight Rises. They've got comic book fans, Nolan fans, and just people who liked the other two films.

maledoro

I skipped the obvious sci-fi list on Den Of Geek for their multi-genre list.

ryanjayhawk

All points are duely noted, and I totally understand them...

I just assumed that when you had some of the stats this film has that it would reach beyond sci-fi, beyond fanboy, because this movie has some other big things going for it... when the last sci-fi movie you made is Blade Runner which is currently 97 out of the 100 best films all time, you might assume even mainstream are going to be interested to see what you come up with next?

Dogme

Dogme

Well Prometheus is my most anticipated movie and I look forward to it's June 1st release in the UK :) Not sure why the US is getting it a week later.

Zeta Reticuli

people obviously don't know what the heck this movie is going to be about and the connection to the AvP movies probably doesn't help to get their anticipations up much higher.

it's alright.

less anticipation = less hype = this movie is going to have an even bigger impact if mr. scott manages to deliver (and i'm pretty sure he will)

the best thing that could happen is that in the end Prometheus doesn't stand in the bad light of AvP, but AvP will stand in the shadow of Prometheus. the audience will hopefully see the Alien creatures again as the wicked beings they were supposed to be. even if they have been involved in shitty storylines before.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: ryanjayhawk on Jan 05, 2012, 02:16:12 PMI just assumed that when you had some of the stats this film has that it would reach beyond sci-fi, beyond fanboy, because this movie has some other big things going for it... when the last sci-fi movie you made is Blade Runner which is currently 97 out of the 100 best films all time, you might assume even mainstream are going to be interested to see what you come up with next?

It's a long time since Blade Runner, and Ridley has been very hit and miss with the critics over the years. Also, the marketing for Prometheus has been pretty lax, despite having one of the best trailers since, well, EVER. I would say that it is the mystery around it as Zeta Reticuli says. People just don't know what to make of it; it's all a bit weird. :)

-Chris

Face Jockey

Similar to before Avatar came out, I just don't think the general public have heard of it yet, beyond rabid film nerds who keep up with such things. Everyone knows about crap like The Dark Knight Returns, the Hobbit, the Avengers as these are related to very recent film franchises. Give it a couple months for publicity to ramp up.

ryanjayhawk

Yeah I suppose it's not a bad thing necessarily... it just seemed strange especially when you get past the expected movies and see some of the filler they chose over Prometheus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed