What went wrong?

Started by KirklandSignature, Dec 29, 2011, 08:23:27 PM

Author
What went wrong? (Read 13,567 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Ah nothing went wrong. It went completely as planned. AVP is like JVM (Jesus vs Mohamed) and having both of them lose every single time.

Gosutoraida

Gosutoraida

AVP is an amazing concept, it's just not treated with respect. The concept has so much potential but we are just stuck with two films. One not bad and the other not even a film.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: JokerJohn35 on Jan 17, 2012, 09:55:32 PMAVP is an amazing concept, it's just not treated with respect.
So amazing that nobody at Brandywine wanted it to happen. It got the respect it deserved, being the (then) latest version of Interstellar Smackdown.

Quote from: JokerJohn35 on Jan 17, 2012, 09:55:32 PMThe concept has so much potential but we are just stuck with two films.
So, we need another movie with something else blowing up at the end.

Snowdog

Snowdog

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 07, 2012, 04:29:25 PM
Superficiality is what went wrong with it.

The first one needed 'Event Horizon' Anderson. What it got was 'Resident Evil' Anderson. You could at least tell it had some interesting ideas, though - what was being aimed for. In a few points, it kind of works. There just aren't enough of them. On the whole, it comes across as flashy and unremarkable. Some of this, however, is to do with it having a small budget.

I can't agree more ! Event Horizon had a great athmosphere. If Anderson could recapture that in an avp movie it would've been a lot better. And other alien designs at least. I want biomechanical aliens again. Or at least the a:r ones. Like i said before. I found out wat is wrong with the avp aliens for me besides the cat like movements here and there. It's the same design as in a:r but they don't seem al that menacing in avp. in a:r they where covered in layers of slime wich made them look unique if you'd ask me. They also acted menacing and like really dangerous beings, while also being smart and come up with solutions (wich did not lack in avp, cuz the aliens where at least smart and came up with solutions for things like freeing the queen). Also the steam coming out of the a:r aliens helped a lot. But still would've loved to see a newer version of the warrior. AND NOT THE AVPR WARRIOR !!!

The Runner

The Runner

Newer version of the Warrior?

Just pick the AVP2010 design.

Gosutoraida

Gosutoraida

Some of the new Aliens from Colonial Marines might work as new Warriors in later films.

jimmylace

jimmylace

I think the first mistake was Paul Anderson. Predators building pyramids and being treated like Gods goes against pretty much everything we knew of the creature beforehand. Anderons concept was B-movie stuff. The biggest mistake of his was to make the Predator 'the lesser of two evils' and shoe-horn the character into an anti-hero role. Anderson did not get the Predator at all and killed all the awesome primitive/futuristic vibe the character had.

AvP being PG-13 certainly didn't help, as did having no decent characters either. No two ways about it, AvP is a mediocre film that made the mistake of being a comic-book movie rather than a cinematic cross-over.

AvPR rectified a few of those Predator issues but replaced them in turn with a whole host of new ones.

Mystery is everything in horror, yet there is a core of fans who want to enjoy watching the creatures battle it out.
That's the versus bit...and its the problem! The aliens and the predators are no longer doing what they were meant to do...which is to be scary and kill off characters you'd grown fond of.

Once you start liking Freddy Krueger, the nightmare is over imo.

Alien Vs Predator should have always been Alien Vs Predator, Aliens+Predator versus humans. The Strauses got that dynamic right but showed us far too much of the Predator in the process.

My suggestions are:
Alien Vs Predator should be set in space. (The Predator integrates into the Aliens universe far better than vice-versa)
It should further the Aliens mythology (anything from the Alien 3 unmade scripts would do) and then bring in Predators in Act 2.

I can't help but picture watching a great Aliens movie, where the invisible guys show up and start blowing holes through everything they see  ;D

That said...I strongly believe an Alien Vs Predator film could never have been as good as a stand-alone. You lose the purity of the haunted-house/slasher structure with the versus stuff. A long-story short, I think they need to make an Alien AND Predator movie in the first instance, and leave the versus stuff until the climax.

Another way to do it, seeing as we've got two movies now already, is to go for all-out spectacle...but that would need a mega-budget.

I doubt we'll see another AvP movie again.  >:(

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: JokerJohn35 on Jan 17, 2012, 09:55:32 PM
AVP is an amazing concept, it's just not treated with respect. The concept has so much potential but we are just stuck with two films. One not bad and the other not even a film.

This. I like the concept and the idea of an alien vs predator movie. But it's just the money to fox. Some of the characters lacking emotion is another thing that breaks the reality for me.

Charles Xavier

Charles Xavier

I haven't read all the posts in the this thread, so please forgive me if this has been mentioned before.

But I think perhaps the root of the problem as to why so many people hate the AVP movies stems from...well, the producers. I think the producers were too stingy with the budget of both films. I mean, if you were to adapt the story from the AVP comics to the big screen, that would cost a fortune, considering all of the space and technological sci-fi aspects of the comics. And even though Fox have a sh!t load of money in their bag, they still weren't willing to risk spending so much money on a crossover movie.

Hence why maybe they resorted to making the setting of the AVP films on Earth and not in space and/or distant planets.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

You dont need a big budget to write a good story,

You write a good story, then worry about the budget

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Wrong planet.

Wrong timeline.

Wrong script.

WRONG director.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

That should have been the actual tagline  :laugh:

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Jun 25, 2012, 11:50:38 AM
That should have been the actual tagline  :laugh:

LOL!

Charles Xavier

Charles Xavier

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Jun 25, 2012, 11:45:22 AM
You dont need a big budget to write a good story,

You write a good story, then worry about the budget

Well, considering the original Alien and Predator movies, those were big budget. But I do agree on the writing part. You always need a good story written for a movie.

SiL

SiL

Neither of the original movies were big budget.

Or Aliens, for that matter.

... or Predator 2.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed