About the Derelict and PROMETHEUS...

Started by Engineer1, Dec 19, 2011, 12:42:02 AM

Author
About the Derelict and PROMETHEUS... (Read 6,802 times)

Engineer1

Well it has been made clear by Lindelof that we will not see the Derelict crashes on LV426 in PROMETHEUS and from Scott that the originals facehugger/chestbuster/xeno won't be threre too but do you think that Ship and his pilot story will be adressed in some way?

If the Derelict ship is active at the same time that PROMETHEUS story take place and it's shown taking off, the fans knowing where he's headed, how can the Space jockey be fosilized in 37 years?
Will they just do it and hope for the best?
Will they say that the Biomechanoidsuit the Space Jockey's wearing dies up and turn into what it is when it's host dies?

Or does the Derelict story is way much older than the Prometheus adventure?

What could be the take?

Glaive

Unfortunately, the answer would be 'time-travel'... ::)

Engineer1

I rather know nothing about the Derelict then...
Time travel doesnt fit in how i see the ALIEN universe.

Bat Chain Puller

Time travel in a scientific sort a way done via the folding of space/time.

Not by going 88 mph in a car rigged with a flux-capacitor or some crazy never shown bit of tech from Sky-Net.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Engineer1 on Dec 19, 2011, 12:42:02 AM...but do you think that Ship and his pilot story will be adressed in some way?

I think it will be inferred, not explicitly stated. The derelict we have seen will be treated as a side story; something that happened off somewhere else and out of view of the Prometheus story. If the Space Jockeys are the focus of the film, and they are biological engineers by trade, then the happenings on LV426 can be extrapolated from that however you like. You would only need subtle things to open up this connection, such as slight physiological similarities between the creatures and/or architecture of the two and you can just go from there.

-Chris

Engineer1

Engineer1

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Dec 19, 2011, 01:09:56 AM
Time travel in a scientific sort a way done via the folding of space/time.

Not by going 88 mph in a car rigged with a flux-capacitor or some crazy never shown bit of tech from Sky-Net.

you're right.
It's all about execution...

So a bunch of derelict class ship (at least two) get back in time?

I more keen to think that the Derelict is an old lost ship on a mission than having time travel, fits the idea that Scott wants to stay away as he can from the event of ALIEN.

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 19, 2011, 01:26:13 AM
Quote from: Engineer1 on Dec 19, 2011, 12:42:02 AM...but do you think that Ship and his pilot story will be adressed in some way?

I think it will be inferred, not explicitly stated. The derelict we have seen will be treated as a side story; something that happened off somewhere else and out of view of the Prometheus story. If the Space Jockeys are the focus of the film, and they are biological engineers by trade, then the happenings on LV426 can be extrapolated from that however you like. You would only need subtle things to open up this connection, such as slight physiological similarities between the creatures and/or architecture of the two and you can just go from there.

-Chris

I'm hoping for a more straightforward answer.
Maybe the murals Giger did, telling the story of the Engineers.
How they colonized world using the xenos.
Or maybe a phrase by the Engineer saying something like "we send our ship with biowepaons and pillage the planets" then you can understand that the Derelict was just one of those many ships of that colonization campaign.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Engineer1 on Dec 19, 2011, 01:28:30 AMOr maybe a phrase by the Engineer saying something like "we send our ship with biowepaons and pillage the planets" then you can understand that the Derelict was just one of those many ships of that colonization campaign.

I am fairly sure that this will be answered to some degree in Prometheus. Scott has always commented 'Who was that guy, and what was he doing with those eggs' etc. Seems to be a big impetus for the story, whether that actual ship is referred to or not.

-Chris

Highland

I dont see the problem either way.

There could be a thousand reasons why the SJ looks the way it does in Alien.

ThisBethesdaSea

'who was that guy' could be answered by way of explaining his/her/its race as opposed to that specific Jockey found in A L I E N.  I would prefer that the Jockey found dead in ALIEN not be addressed at all. I want Prometheus to ask as many questions as it answers. The beauty of ALIEN was the sheer and hollowed wonder of what we were presented with. For just a moment, humanity came in to contact with a species they know not of. That's heavy heavy shit and it questions everything about what we believe, God, our beginnings and ultimately our endings.

If Ridley can execute Prometheus in the same absolutely believable way he executed A L I E N I'll be beyond thrilled. What I love about the first film is how believable that crew was, how every day and real their dialogue was.  What makes A L I E N....ALIEN is the perfect characters and how perfectly they were acted. I also hope that the same pacing of dialogue occurs, by way of people talking over each other in a realistic way. I'm just as excited to watch how people interact with one another as I am, what kind of nasty monster will be unleashed.

Sorry, veered off course a bit. This movie is a dream come true for me in so many ways.

Engineer1

Engineer1

Quote from: Highland on Dec 19, 2011, 01:57:23 AM
I dont see the problem either way.

There could be a thousand reasons why the SJ looks the way it does in Alien.

Considering that it has been (wrongly?) believed for years that it was on LV426 for centuries and that PROMETHEUS takes place 37 years before ALIEN i think it could be a major plotpoint/hole if not treated right.

The point is to discuss how it could be done properly, if it's actually adressed in PROMETHEUS based on what we know.
Thats it ^^

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 19, 2011, 02:11:33 AM
'who was that guy' could be answered by way of explaining his/her/its race as opposed to that specific Jockey found in A L I E N.  I would prefer that the Jockey found dead in ALIEN not be addressed at all. I want Prometheus to ask as many questions as it answers. The beauty of ALIEN was the sheer and hollowed wonder of what we were presented with. For just a moment, humanity came in to contact with a species they know not of. That's heavy heavy shit and it questions everything about what we believe, God, our beginnings and ultimately our endings.

If Ridley can execute Prometheus in the same absolutely believable way he executed A L I E N I'll be beyond thrilled. What I love about the first film is how believable that crew was, how every day and real their dialogue was.  What makes A L I E N....ALIEN is the perfect characters and how perfectly they were acted. I also hope that the same pacing of dialogue occurs, by way of people talking over each other in a realistic way. I'm just as excited to watch how people interact with one another as I am, what kind of nasty monster will be unleashed.

Sorry, veered off course a bit. This movie is a dream come true for me in so many ways.

I agree with all of the above ^^

Kol

Kol

Quote from: Engineer1 on Dec 19, 2011, 12:42:02 AM
Or does the Derelict story is way much older than the Prometheus adventure?

What could be the take?

maybe the engineer in prometheus know about lv-426 and the derelict on it.
maybe to him and his civilization it's a known fact, or a legend, about this stranded ship with the most dangerous cargo in the universe; pandora's box.

whatever it may be: i don't care much. for me, the whole sequences in A L I E N, which includes the exterior and interior of the derelict, is pure, non-understandable mythology. and i would like to keep it that way.

i don't mind to see the origins and explanation of the space jockey's. i mean that's the whole reason, why i will watch this movie!

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Engineer1 on Dec 19, 2011, 02:12:28 AMConsidering that it has been (wrongly?) believed for years that it was on LV426 for centuries

The adjective 'derelict' implies that the craft was abandoned but doesn't really suggest anything about it's age. Other than that we have nothing to go from apart from some observations made by the crew, and if you like, Newt's parents in Aliens. And if what we see of the Space Jockey is not a skeleton as was originally intended but rather a bio mechanical suit, then the decomposition argument no longer applies. It may have only been there for 30 years after all; it wouldn't break any rules IMO.

-Chris

Highland

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 19, 2011, 03:06:04 AM
Quote from: Engineer1 on Dec 19, 2011, 02:12:28 AMConsidering that it has been (wrongly?) believed for years that it was on LV426 for centuries

The adjective 'derelict' implies that the craft was abandoned but doesn't really suggest anything about it's age. Other than that we have nothing to go from apart from some observations made by the crew, and if you like, Newt's parents in Aliens. And if what we see of the Space Jockey is not a skeleton as was originally intended but rather a bio mechanical suit, then the decomposition argument no longer applies. It may have only been there for 30 years after all; it wouldn't break any rules IMO.

-Chris

@ Engineer1!

Pretty much this.  8)

Wobblyboddle77

Wobblyboddle77

I think prometheus may allude to it in a subtle way, the craft and engineer that are on LV426. But Alien is Scotts masterpiece and i think he will leave alot of it as it is, because that is what makes Alien such a great movie. Scott will explore the engineers as a species but will also leave an aura of mystery about them too. Scott is a good story teller and with prometheus ,i think he will partly explain the jockey's/engineers as a species but also leave certain aspects unexplained alongside raising more questions about that species at the end of the film. Scott is taking a very big risk with prometheus, and so are fox but they seem confident enough. ThisBethesdaSea hit the nail on the head it can be good science fiction without exploring Alien too much , i will only worry if fox start splashing prometheus across KFC and Mc Donald Happy meals lol, but judging by the trailer rating it's unlikely lol.

squonk

squonk

Long time lurker, this is my first post !!

Maybe the Jockey's evolution & technology have changed very little over millions of years, and the LV426 derelict has in fact been there for thousands of years and the derelict class of vehicle is still in use during the time of prometheus,

The derelict/Jockey scenes are my favourite parts of that film, even more so than the xenomorph !

I hope Scott can do these creatures justice, I'm sure he will but the suit idea is worrying !!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed