NEW Prometheus scan from Premier Magazine (French Edition)

Started by RoaryUK, Dec 16, 2011, 01:37:39 AM

Author
NEW Prometheus scan from Premier Magazine (French Edition) (Read 34,769 times)

RAD_RAT

RAD_RAT

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 17, 2011, 06:10:09 AM
Quote from: St_Eddie on Dec 17, 2011, 05:47:36 AMIf the Space Jockey found the cavern, built by another civilisation, then why are the walls constructed in the same bio-mechanical way as the Jockey's chamber?

It could be a double blind... the Space Jockeys created humans, then found a clue to the origins of their own species, went investigating and got wasted, then we go and find the Jockeys and get wasted as well. The moral of the story is; if you are alienated from you parents, don't go looking, because they could be trailer trash.

-Chris

I like this idea about trailer trash parents :)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: St_Eddie on Dec 17, 2011, 05:47:36 AM
If the Space Jockey found the cavern, built by another civilisation, then why are the walls constructed in the same bio-mechanical way as the Jockey's chamber?

Alien resin from ages back. Either from several creatures or just the one which emerged from the pilot. Wasn't like it had much else to do. :)

I once did this huge comparison between images of the derelict/chamber interiors and the nest at Hadley's Hope. It definitely looks like one's a much more advanced state of the other. Both basically look like the skeletal interior of a whale.

My theory for that is that, since all Aliens came from inside a chest cavity, they're naturally inclined to construct their nest into looking as much like one as possible, for psychological reasons of security and feeling 'home'.

If true, then the 'real' hull could look completely different beneath it.

marsekay

Quote from: Zeta Reticuli on Dec 16, 2011, 11:52:41 PM
it could very well be on earth.
the suits look much more like diving suits than space suits and it also would explain why they are able to take their helmets off.

and let's not forget that some time ago they were shooting scenes on some kind of boat. it would make sense if there is something to find underwater.

Perhaps behind a certain waterfall? ;)

BonesawT101

interesting, what makes you think it could be behind a waterfall marsekay?

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 17, 2011, 11:46:44 AMAlien resin from ages back.. [..] since all Aliens came from inside a chest cavity, they're naturally inclined to construct their nest into looking as much like one as possible

Perhaps the alien resin is not a copy of the human chest cavity, but rather the human chest cavity is a copy of the alien resin... Nah. That's dumb.

The alien builds, that's no doubt. Even in the deleted scene from the original film the alien has 'plastered' the walls with some construction. But surely the derelict is not just plastered over by alien goo.

-Chris

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

Everything is Giger style. Jockey and Xenos are probably from the same world/planet. Maybe the link between them is just evolution like humans and apes.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 17, 2011, 11:46:44 AM
Quote from: St_Eddie on Dec 17, 2011, 05:47:36 AM
If the Space Jockey found the cavern, built by another civilisation, then why are the walls constructed in the same bio-mechanical way as the Jockey's chamber?

Alien resin from ages back. Either from several creatures or just the one which emerged from the pilot. Wasn't like it had much else to do. :)

I once did this huge comparison between images of the derelict/chamber interiors and the nest at Hadley's Hope. It definitely looks like one's a much more advanced state of the other. Both basically look like the skeletal interior of a whale.

My theory for that is that, since all Aliens came from inside a chest cavity, they're naturally inclined to construct their nest into looking as much like one as possible, for psychological reasons of security and feeling 'home'.

If true, then the 'real' hull could look completely different beneath it.

It's an interesting theory but I'm not convinced...

You'll noticed that there's more than just resin in these two environments.  There's clearly a lot of technology (or rather bio-technology), as you can see from the pipes etc.  In fact, they used the walls of the same set for both environments so those pipes that you can clearly see in the Space Jockey picture are also present in the egg chamber.  The Aliens don't build pipes and it's pretty much a given that a different civilisation wouldn't build the exact same pipes as the Space Jockeys!

Skylark Duquesne

I always saw the alien as the extreme embodiment of masculinity, a combination of phallic symbols, and a drive that could be reduced to two tropisms : predation (i.e. destruction) and reproduction.
In French, "mâle" means "male", and "mal" signifies "evil". Both principles are indissociable, hence the almost similar spelling. In that case, it was only too logical that the alien's ultimate contender should be a woman.
In "Aliens", I never liked the fact that these mean creatures obeyed a female entity, like stupid hive members. It ruins the coherence of Scott and O'Bannon's opus. Cameron is a passionate and generous filmmaker but his concepts are naive.
To me, it's obvious the aliens are a construct, the product of the space jockey's experiments. These superior beings certainly imparted some of their traits to their "children".

I'd like to ask you guys two questions :
- Has anyone ever mentioned that the giant head looked so much like Guy Pearce ? Same handsome, fine features. What with the mystery surrounding Pearce's part, I wonder if there's not something to it.
- How come the exploration party people don't wear a backpack, like some childish Captain Scarlet puppets ? No need for oxygen supply ?

Valaquen

Quote from: Skylark Duquesne on Dec 17, 2011, 04:18:11 PM
I always saw the alien as the extreme embodiment of masculinity, a combination of phallic symbols, and a drive that could be reduced to two tropisms : predation (i.e. destruction) and reproduction.
In French, "mâle" means "male", and "mal" signifies "evil". Both principles are indissociable, hence the almost similar spelling. In that case, it was only too logical that the alien's ultimate contender should be a woman.
In "Aliens", I never liked the fact that these mean creatures obeyed a female entity, like stupid hive members. It ruins the coherence of Scott and O'Bannon's opus. Cameron is a passionate and generous filmmaker but his concepts are naive.
To me, it's obvious the aliens are a construct, the product of the space jockey's experiments. These superior beings certainly imparted some of their traits to their "children".
The Alien was actually intended to be a female - Scott spent some time looking for a woman to play the creature, as he thought two women [one alien, one human] battling one another would have excellent 'connotations'. When they couldn't find a woman, thy decided the Alien was a man in the shape of a woman, essentially, a hermaphrodite.

I don't quite understand the offence or stupidity in obeying a "female entity," though.

Gash

Quote from: BonesawT101 on Dec 17, 2011, 12:18:20 PM

The leaked trailer features a huge waterfall quite prominently.

Skylark Duquesne

Thank you Valaquen for setting things straight and enlightening me on this point. I didn't know Scott had once toyed with the idea of a female creature. I do remember reading somewhere that he said it was a hermaphrodite from his standpoint. So now I know where the authors of "Species" drew their inspiration from (apart from "A for Andromeda").
I didn't mean to appear offending to anyone. I am in no way sexist or whatever, quite the contrary. I voted for women quite often in my life so please do not misunderstand me. It's just that I am trying to find a thematic coherence in a film that has marked me for life. My interpretation may be reducing
It's not so much the fact that the aliens are ruled by a queen that I don't much appreciate in Cameron's take on the licence, but the fact they are reduced to bugs in a way, as someone pointed out very pertinently in another thread.
Indeed, Dan O'Bannon wanted to imbue his tale with a lovecraftian dimension. That's a far cry from giant bugs.
In "Alien", Scott spoke of the alien as a kind of medieval gargoyle haunting a gothic cathedral. He said at one point they planned to suggest that the alien had reached Earth in the distant past and had given birth to the myth of the Devil. They ditched that concept for obvious reasons.
Maybe that's the main provocative idea at the core of Prometheus : that man was not created by God in his semblance, but by the Devil.
As an aside, I hate Verhoeven's "Starship Troopers" for the reasons stated above, all the more so since the enemy is a spacefaring species, which makes it ludicrous they should not be sentient. In Heinlein's novel, man is clearly at war against other civilizations.

LarsVader

LarsVader

Valaquen

Quote from: Skylark Duquesne on Dec 17, 2011, 08:11:24 PM
Thank you Valaquen for setting things straight and enlightening me on this point. I didn't know Scott had once toyed with the idea of a female creature. I do remember reading somewhere that he said it was a hermaphrodite from his standpoint. So now I know where the authors of "Species" drew their inspiration from (apart from "A for Andromeda").
I didn't mean to appear offending to anyone. I am in no way sexist or whatever, quite the contrary. I voted for women quite often in my life so please do not misunderstand me. It's just that I am trying to find a thematic coherence in a film that has marked me for life. My interpretation may be reducing
It's not so much the fact that the aliens are ruled by a queen that I don't much appreciate in Cameron's take on the licence, but the fact they are reduced to bugs in a way, as someone pointed out very pertinently in another thread.
Indeed, Dan O'Bannon wanted to imbue his tale with a lovecraftian dimension. That's a far cry from giant bugs.
In "Alien", Scott spoke of the alien as a kind of medieval gargoyle haunting a gothic cathedral. He said at one point they planned to suggest that the alien had reached Earth in the distant past and had given birth to the myth of the Devil. They ditched that concept for obvious reasons.
Maybe that's the main provocative idea at the core of Prometheus : that man was not created by God in his semblance, but by the Devil.
I didn't mean to suggest that you were being offensive towards women, sorry, I just didn't understand your angle, there. As for the bugs thing, Scott called his Alien an insect numerous times, Giger called the egg silo a termite nest, Dan O'Bannon was influenced by insects - it all goes back to insects. Still, I can understand some people's aversion to the Queen, even though I don't feel the same way. Different strokes for different folks.
As for man was not created by God in his semblance, but by the Devil that's pretty much like a lot of Gnosticism and the concept of the Demiurge.

marsekay

Quote from: Gash on Dec 17, 2011, 04:47:29 PM
Quote from: BonesawT101 on Dec 17, 2011, 12:18:20 PM

The leaked trailer features a huge waterfall quite prominently.

This. just trying to put 2+2 together, probably coming up with 600 though lol.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 17, 2011, 12:22:27 PM
Perhaps the alien resin is not a copy of the human chest cavity, but rather the human chest cavity is a copy of the alien resin... Nah. That's dumb.

And then Agent Smith appears in the doorway as the Alien King... :D

QuoteThe alien builds, that's no doubt. Even in the deleted scene from the original film the alien has 'plastered' the walls with some construction. But surely the derelict is not just plastered over by alien goo.

Much of the atmosphere processor's interior was... And that was only after two weeks. They might've covered the entire thing and colony in the stuff if it had gone much longer.

Quote from: St_Eddie on Dec 17, 2011, 03:16:48 PM
You'll noticed that there's more than just resin in these two environments.  There's clearly a lot of technology (or rather bio-technology), as you can see from the pipes etc.  In fact, they used the walls of the same set for both environments so those pipes that you can clearly see in the Space Jockey picture are also present in the egg chamber.  The Aliens don't build pipes and it's pretty much a given that a different civilisation wouldn't build the exact same pipes as the Space Jockeys!

Yes - and in the colony, precisely those sorts of things are actually visible. It's not like in 'Alien Resurrection' (which can be excused by assuming the human DNA-tainted Aliens are having as many psychological adaptation problems as Ripley 8 was). There are clear parts where the stuff is somehow being deliberately changed into structures startlingly like the ribbing and such you see in the Jockey and egg chambers, both.

I could throw up a post about this and identify them all with arrows and stuff, but... It took me ages and I'd need to be in the mood. :)

There's also the possibility inferred in 'Resurrection' that the gunk is somehow alive in a viral/fungal manner. It might well be a living organism, in its own right, gradually reconfiguring itself into a biomechanical matrix (not unlike the Alien, itself, in that respect). Being alive would certainly explain how it can slowly creep outward from where the creatures are hibernating, if one assumes they were dormant and not just periodically resting.

There is actually a precedence for this: Look at how the eggs appear to start sprouting roots. There could be a connection.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed