Ridley Scott talks Prometheus

Started by Darkoo, Nov 07, 2011, 07:01:23 AM

Author
Ridley Scott talks Prometheus (Read 35,606 times)

Ash 937

Ash 937

I just saw Harold and Kumar 3D and I loved the experience.  I can't wait to see how good the CGI for Prometheus looks in glorious 3D.

Beauty&Love

Beauty&Love

I Completely understand and respect Ridley scott as an artist wanting to create somthing new, and im so excited for prometheus and I honestly feel its a good idea, but I dont like when he compared the Alien franchise to that of Saw or Final destination, I remember watching Alien and Aliens, even Alien3 I like,I dont know why it got harsher reviews than Alien rez? because I hated alien rez and didnt mind alien3.

but thats beside the point my point is I wish he or james cameron would just do one final movie for the fans,even if not a box office smash just a plainly -good- movie, just give the alien series the respect it deserves....thats just from where I stand I dont care if people agree or disagree,thats just how I feel about it!, that said I'm looking forward to Prometheus alot =)

Engineer1

Engineer1

Just to be clear Scott never compared Alien to Saw or Final Destination.
I just gave those movies for exemples to show the state of mind of the average moviegoer toward a straight Alien prequel.
Fox kinda killed the franchise with the stupid AVPs movies.
It diminished the power of the creature itself but not on its original universe.
So Scott took the same universe to tell a new/side story with new creatures.
Clever.

The movie you wish for will be PROMETEHUS ;)
And if we are lucky  and the movie is a hit we will have more reason to rejoice as Alien fans.

Beauty&Love

Beauty&Love

OoOOO

thats good to know,regardless I kind of agree with that statement. they are turning into shitty popcorn movies and I still want them to have some respect again you know? I grew up on those movies =(

Engineer1

Engineer1

I'm definitly with you on that.
I too grew up watching them.

I think that the Alien universe is gonna shine again.
I just hope that FOX won't be stupid and spoil it all again after Prometheus.

One thing i noted with this new article is that it says that PROMETHEUS has just been completed.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I'm very excited for this film.  It's so nice to get a new sci-fi horror in the vein of Alien but without continually re-humping the already murdered and murdered and murdered again Xenomorph we all lament.  :(  Please, allow generations of new moviegoers to understand what made Alien so incredible in the first place, enough to spawn a trilogy of (lolo) great films and establish the Alien as a legacy in movie history.

CGI makes me cringe, as the technology seems to be moving backwards now, but I do have faith in Ridley to understand the difference between "looks like ass" and "looks real, scary, terrifying even."  I mean, I have a 10 year old nephew that can easily spot the difference between CGI and real, and is quite frightened by the latter, and if a 10 year old can do it, why can't rich hollywood types?

This might be the first movie I see in theaters in 3D.  I pray to the gods that it may be glorious.  I pray that they drudge up the old fear, the childhood fear that never really goes away, that wonderfully familiar nightmare.

Oh, I pray.

chupacabras acheronsis

problem with CGI nowadays is that it's used in a way that looks unnatural. you can have better-than-real 3D models and lightning effects and shit but if it doesn't move like it should, if it's way too good looking it's not going to blend in. they also make shots way too dynamic that you just know cannot be done with cameras, they completely disregard seamlessness to make comic book shots with weird angles and extreme close ups.

MrSpaceJockey

I agree. 

Not to mention, I hope he doesn't make the Prometheus ship all decked out and zooming around.  In the end, if its really not an alien film, it'll be okay, but the slow, "anti-Star Wars" look of the Nostromo in ALIEN was one of the really great concepts.

Beauty&Love

Beauty&Love

Quote from: RagingDragon on Nov 08, 2011, 01:30:14 AM
I'm very excited for this film.  It's so nice to get a new sci-fi horror in the vein of Alien but without continually re-humping the already murdered and murdered and murdered again Xenomorph we all lament.  :(  Please, allow generations of new moviegoers to understand what made Alien so incredible in the first place, enough to spawn a trilogy of (lolo) great films and establish the Alien as a legacy in movie history.

CGI makes me cringe, as the technology seems to be moving backwards now, but I do have faith in Ridley to understand the difference between "looks like ass" and "looks real, scary, terrifying even."  I mean, I have a 10 year old nephew that can easily spot the difference between CGI and real, and is quite frightened by the latter, and if a 10 year old can do it, why can't rich hollywood types?

This might be the first movie I see in theaters in 3D.  I pray to the gods that it may be glorious.  I pray that they drudge up the old fear, the childhood fear that never really goes away, that wonderfully familiar nightmare.

Oh, I pray.

I loved reading that whole comment,like really,its nice to read intelligent comments from nice people =]

anyways I totally agree,only other movie I saw in 3d was Avatar and I was not trying to put down  Prometheus at all because im sooooo excited for it your totally right I cant waitt to see it!

and I love how you call it,the Alien trilogy haha. to true :)

James cameron said he liked AvP and I wonder if he was just being polite or if he actually thought it was decent? I didnt mind the movie overall untill it looked like that women was dieing to blow the predator, hmff =/

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Wow, thanks  ;D

Spoiler
[close]

I think James Cameron honestly thought "Godzilla vs. King Kong," like, his expectations were really through the sub-basement so he was kind of surprised that they salvaged some sort of forumlaic, made-for-television kind of monster movie out of what people thought would be a hideous, flaming train wreck.  He recognized the effort that went into it, which definitely wasn't the quality of the first two Alien movies, but it still had a few things going for it, you know?  Like, not a total loss.  Not, like, an AvP:R.  Lololo

Salt The Fries

the last eight minutes of the "Prometheus" story evolve into "a pretty good DNA of the 'Alien' one

story - one; DNA of the Alien story; so it's a metaphor

Kev Loaf

Kev Loaf

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Nov 08, 2011, 09:16:37 AM
the last eight minutes of the "Prometheus" story evolve into "a pretty good DNA of the 'Alien' one

story - one; DNA of the Alien story; so it's a metaphor

Lol, it makes me laugh how some people interpreted this quote as the movie will literally end with a shot of Xenomorph DNA.

jaysus!

Quote from: Darkoo on Nov 07, 2011, 07:01:23 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204554204577021821179535022.html

he movie, he said, is about "a higher being who challenges the gods" and is punished for his temerity.

While Mr. Scott refrains from calling it a prequel to "Alien," the last eight minutes of the "Prometheus" story evolve into "a pretty good DNA of the 'Alien' one," he said.

So I assume the "higher being" is the Engineer (the one we see as a fossil in Alien) and he is from the "Space Jockey" species whose leaders or decision makers are the "gods" (also possibly the same species or maybe some unknown species that we have not seen yet).

The Engineer is an ambitious scientist, a bit of a Dr Frankenstein, with crazy ideas but he is suppressed by his superiors (i.e. the gods) since they believe his ideas are insane and a threat to the universe. However he goes against their wishes and creates some crazy shit that we will see in the movie Prometheus. One of his creations will be the xenomorphs, in their pure form.

He gets punished at the end and is face raped by one of his creations.

I would not be shocked if the final product is some where along these lines.

Engineer1

Engineer1

The quote about the higher being is out of context.
In the full interview Scott is talking about the actual Prometheus myth not the movie.
It's a reminder ;)

So the Gods are the Engineers.
I think the Higher being (prometheus) might be an Android (David or Meredith) that steals the fire from the gods.
And the humans are... The humans ^^
And so we are back to KFS' leak...

But your version of the Engineer being some sort of Frankenstein is very close to the PARADISE "leak".
Like i previously said the movie will probably end up being a mix of KFS and PARADISE.

nendo

nendo

Could it be that the planet they visit with the cave and the alien artifacts is actually a space jockey prison for starting the human technology evolution? Stranded on the planet, Going through some form of punishment. The humans presence disrupts the punishment and breaks it free. Obviously its going to be pissed and want some sort of revenge. So its uses the humans to bread the xeno. Obviously the xeno design will be in the early stages in this film so won't look like the alien in the original film

Quote from: Engineer1 on Nov 08, 2011, 10:44:19 AM
The quote about the higher being is out of context.
In the full interview Scott is talking about the actual Prometheus myth not the movie.
It's a reminder ;)

So the Gods are the Engineers.
I think the Higher being (prometheus) might be an Android (David or Meredith) that steals the fire from the gods.
And the humans are... The humans ^^
And so we are back to KFS' leak...

But your version of the Engineer being some sort of Frankenstein is very close to the PARADISE "leak".
Like i previously said the movie will probably end up being a mix of KFS and PARADISE.

But how can an android be of higher being than Humans? If anything they are lower. Just because hes an android doesn't make him a higher being than us

Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

Quote from: ikarop on Nov 07, 2011, 05:20:14 PM
Spoiler

• Ridley showed the creature designs to Giger. But he has had no known involvement with the designs.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed