Ridley Scott talks Prometheus

Started by Darkoo, Nov 07, 2011, 07:01:23 AM

Author
Ridley Scott talks Prometheus (Read 35,332 times)

Darkoo

Darkoo

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204554204577021821179535022.html

Mr. Scott's just-completed film "Prometheus" represents his first sci-fi release in nearly three decades. The movie, he said, is about "a higher being who challenges the gods" and is punished for his temerity.

The screenplay for "Prometheus" was written by Damon Lindelof and Jon Spaihts. While Mr. Scott refrains from calling it a prequel to "Alien," the last eight minutes of the "Prometheus" story evolve into "a pretty good DNA of the 'Alien' one," he said.

"Prometheus" was shot in 3-D with computer-generated imagery, in contrast to "Alien," when Mr. Scott and his team used spaceship models and a puppet and actor in costume as the alien. Since then, Mr. Scott has embraced computerized special effects, and said directing "Prometheus" was "the best time I've had in a number of years making a movie."

Nonetheless, Mr. Scott said computerized effects don't mean much without a strong story, which is why he has worked for years to develop the scripts for his current projects, and why he has such respect for sci-fi writers.

"The hardest single thing to do is write a screenplay or book," he said. "I'm not a writer, really. I get on very well with writers because I know they're my best friend."

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Nothing really new from what we've heard before.  But thanks for posting that nevertheless.

GhettoDefendant

The movie is complete. I hope that means editing, music, effects, all of everything. And that we really get something official soon. a trailer?????

I hope so.

Highland

Highland

So no sign of Alien until the last 8 minutes. Probably a good thing though.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Not too much new information, but nice to see the silence broken for a change :)

Darkoo

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 07, 2011, 11:33:18 AM
Not too much new information, but nice to see the silence broken for a change :)

Well I think it's a bit bigger than that as he suggests that the Jockey's and Engineers aren't one in the same.

Engineer1

Engineer1

I like the fact that the movie is not completely spoiled by spy photos and scripts leaks but nonexistent actual news really annoying. The SDCC footage should have been online by now and they could have shown pics that didn't spoil the movie.
Well, back to waitin' ^^

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Engineer1 on Nov 07, 2011, 01:20:57 PM
I like the fact that the movie is not completely spoiled by spy photos and scripts leaks but nonexistent actual news really annoying. The SDCC footage should have been online by now and they could have shown pics that didn't spoil the movie.
Well, back to waitin' ^^
Frustrating, but it should all pay off. They're keeping the movie close to their chests. We should have a teaser this month or next.

Nero the Jackal

well i hope this part is not true (The movie, he said, is about "a higher being who challenges the gods" and is punished for his temerity.) because the alien franchise is of the sci-fi genre and not the supernatural, adding gods and supernatural elements would be absolutely stupid and a franchise wrecker, hopefully he was just being metaphoric and not serious.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Nov 07, 2011, 01:37:59 PM
well i hope this part is not true (The movie, he said, is about "a higher being who challenges the gods" and is punished for his temerity.) because the alien franchise is of the sci-fi genre and not the supernatural, adding gods and supernatural elements would be absolutely stupid and a franchise wrecker, hopefully he was just being metaphoric and not serious.
We've known about the gods angle since last year; and Prometheus is one step away from Alien; finally, the original Alien was infused with Lovecraftian overtones. (Finally finally; he's speaking figuratively. The gods are seemingly engineers of space, an ancient alien race. The Space Jockeys, perhaps.)

Nero the Jackal

so the gods are just advanced aliens and not super-natural entities? well that is good then. Actual gods would not fit in with the alien franchise.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Nov 07, 2011, 01:51:05 PM
so the gods are just advanced aliens and not super-natural entities? well that is good then. Actual gods would not fit in with the alien franchise.

Yeah it's the general idea that if a technologically advanced species/aliens etc visited a less advanced race (early man/isolated tribe) then their technology would seem magical and god like since there would be no other rational for it.

Nero the Jackal

That is what happened in AVP, predators were worshipped as gods in that film....didn't end well for the humans though.

aliennaire

aliennaire

...The central metaphor of "Prometheus" is about a "higher being" who challenges the gods, and the gods don't want to give him fire. "Fire is our first form of technology," Scott says, and so by taking fire, the higher being is punished "in perpetuity in a horrible fashion." Much like the story of the mythological god, Prometheus, who stole fire from Zeus and for his actions was bound to a rock with an eagle eternally devouring his liver...

Excerpt is taken from http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/11/07/ridley-scott-spills-the-secrets-of-prometheus/?mod=google_news_blog

That's a direct link to Greek myth, at last!

Quote from: tmjhur on Nov 07, 2011, 01:08:28 PM
Well I think it's a bit bigger than that as he suggests that the Jockey's and Engineers aren't one in the same.

Yes, looks like that! And a "higher being" is probably Engineer!

Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 07, 2011, 01:41:31 PM
We've known about the gods angle since last year; and Prometheus is one step away from Alien; finally, the original Alien was infused with Lovecraftian overtones. (Finally finally; he's speaking figuratively. The gods are seemingly engineers of space, an ancient alien race. The Space Jockeys, perhaps.)

Yes, I also think Mr. Scott speaks metaphotically about the gods, at least, Prometheus is ascertained to be sci fi genre movie, not religious and philosophical one.

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Nov 07, 2011, 01:51:05 PM

Actually, every paranormal thing, untill being explained will seem as miraculous trick to us.  :)
And in the light of what Ridley said during his interview, Paradise story spoiler comes even more likily: there is an Engeneer, awaken after a extremely long hypersleep, Vickers' chest explodes in the very end of the story...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed