Prometheus Set & Location Pictures

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 08, 2011, 09:38:34 AM

Author
Prometheus Set & Location Pictures (Read 81,097 times)

Alien³

Alien³

I've lost sight as to why everyone is talking about what the actors do when faced with green screen.
Has this all been brought up because people are worried that Prometheus will use green screen?

ThisBethesdaSea

This started when ASH posted about CGI being used as opposed to practical sets. Then, the conversation devolved into 'good actors don't need sets or people to act around or with."

Anyway....

PROMETHEUS TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hurry the F*ck Up!!!!!

Corporal Hicks

I do believe you were all asked by a Global Mod to go start another thread if you wanna continue this debate. See to it you do guys. Don't want anymore posts dealing with this issue here, this is for talking about the set and location pictures. Thanxkaybai.

ThisBethesdaSea

The real question is....are the trickle down pics of Prometheus all a Fox scheme of viral marketing?

Glaive

Glaive

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Oct 14, 2011, 05:00:20 PM
The real question is....are the trickle down pics of Prometheus all a Fox scheme of viral marketing?

...YUP!!

Corporal Hicks

Am afraid not guys. These kind if leaks never look representitive of the finished movie and can make stuff worse. It's not in their interests.

Gash

Gash

In regards to practical sets Ridley has stated that it is better to build it, light it and shoot it by preference. I think he quotes Trumbull as guiding him in that and his views don't appear to have changed over more than thirty years. He likes to operate the camera on occasion so I reckon sets are as important to him as they are to actors. On  A  L  I  E  N  he made the point that switches and dials on the Nostromo bridge actually did things and that all helped the actors feel the reality of the situation.

I've never really got the impression Ridley would be a director to rely too heavily on green screen, thankfully he's a film maker that regards CGI as one of the tools of the trade and will use it to augment reality. Obviously Prometheus will probably be his most digitally enhanced film but he's a very artistic director and he doesn't want effects to jar with the gritty reality of what he has shot practically. I can't, off hand, think of any Scott film in which CGI has looked as obvious as in most recent blockbuster films. As to the issue of cost, again Ridley has mentioned that it is no cheaper to use quality CGI than it is to do things practically.

To me it one of the big selling points of Prometheus, that it is an epic film, made in the tradition of classics, but with the advantage of digital enhancements under the guidance of a director who is a genuine artist. I agree with Cameron's point that it's about time Scott got back to Sci-Fi where he can really spread his wings creatively. That Scott is doing it from a 'practical' starting point is wonderful IMHO.

Valaquen

^ Amen.

Glaive

Glaive

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 14, 2011, 07:34:58 PM
Am afraid not guys. These kind if leaks never look representitive of the finished movie and can make stuff worse. It's not in their interests.

Oh, really? It certainly pricked-up many sites ears (INCLUDING THIS ONE.).
How is this NOT in their interest?
How does it make STUFF worse? (what STUFF?...worse than WHAT?)

I don't understand what you mean.
...and I don't think YOU understand what's being said.

ThisBethesdaSea

I agree with Glaive....the leaked images only further surround the film with mystery. "what is it? What are these images? I want more" that fuels a viral campaign. A damaging photo would have to be something different.

Corporal Hicks

Not necessarily. These photos are never lit the way the movie will be, they wont show the sets or location in the same way and sometimes this can make them look worse than they will be. A grainy photo is never representative of the finished project and can sometimes (not that these have) insight some anger and disappointment towards the films.

This isn't viral marketing. They can do better than that. Plus, I know where these came from and it wasn't Fox employees so take my word when I say these aren't Fox distributed or some conspiracy to promote the film. Not that you guys will believe me but for those out there that might.

Glaive

Glaive

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 15, 2011, 09:44:23 AM
A grainy photo is never representative of the finished project and can sometimes (not that these have) insight some anger and disappointment towards the films.

Can you give some examples of where that HAS been the case?

T Dog

T Dog

I wonder are they hotly debating whether or not they should add A L I E N to the title or not.

Glaive

Glaive

'PROMALIENETHUS' is a bit of a mouthful...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Glaive on Oct 15, 2011, 10:01:02 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 15, 2011, 09:44:23 AM
A grainy photo is never representative of the finished project and can sometimes (not that these have) insight some anger and disappointment towards the films.

Can you give some examples of where that HAS been the case?

As for people getting irritated about things in leaked pics? Not any specific examples off the top of my head but if you go to general movie sites I'm sure you'll see some comments. As for the pictures not looking the same as the movie, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that will obviously be the case.

And like I said, I know for a fact these weren't deliberate leaks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed