Fan Reviews/Questions

Started by ikarop, Sep 30, 2011, 06:34:40 AM

Author
Fan Reviews/Questions (Read 42,310 times)

SM

SM

I played through the first level last night.

Spoiler
The setup is generallt acceptable with UPP seemingly responsible for the Sulaco being crawling with Aliens.  The characters are cliched right out the wazoo - but that's neither here nor there; I think you'll develop favourites over time.  The music is a little bombastic at times, but still suitable for this sort of game.  Couple of decent jump scares (where'd the cat come from?).  Once you get beyond shooting UPP robots, it gets much better - especially when you bag the tracker and use the flares.  Lost three of my four squad members killing the fecking Queen - I think I was doing it wrong.  It looks like you might be able to run past and climb up some platforms to help keep you out of the way.  There was a lot of the ship left unexplored though once I went to the next level which I thought was unusual, but so far I'm really digging the hell out of this game and can't wait to play more.
[close]

PVTDukeMorrison

PVTDukeMorrison

I really hope the Jocklien is in A:CM, that thing would be badass in 3D, though now im stuck on the gorilla alien boss

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Just gotta be persistent with that one. Attack, roll out the way, attack again. You have no specific area to shoot at.

Corporal Hicks

Darkness

Darkness

I'm reached the spacesuit segment, done that, got back inside and got elevator 6 key. Now, there's no marker to tell me where to go. I've been everywhere except the bottom-right section. I went there but the door is locked.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Top right, the elevator to the control room, I believe.

Darkness

Darkness

I'm onto the final queen. Damn, this thing will not die. Spent 20mins at it. Lost all four of Marines. Am I supposed to do something special.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Use the explosive barrels.

SM

SM

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Oct 04, 2011, 05:37:20 PM
Hm, I beat the first boss on Sulaco without losing anyone.

I lost everyone except Paulson.

I suck.  ;D

robbritton

robbritton

Can I ask, has
Spoiler
the enormous alien from the end of the original Colonial Marines: DS trailer made the cut? If so, what's the story with that guy?
[close]

Darkness

Darkness

Well, I've finished the game at long last.

There's been a lot of chit chat about the length of the game but if anything, I felt it was too long. Most likely because I was tired of roaming around similar environments and the bosses being really difficult and drawn out. I was racing to finish it as quickly as possible. Hence, I never really paid attention to the text or the story, if there was one. Don't get me wrong, length is very important. The last DS game I played was Pokemon White and I spent 40 hours on that. Advance Wars Dual Strike, I spent over 170 hours playing. I guess it depends on how much you enjoy the game. This isn't really my cup of tea. And I only played it because it's an Aliens game. It's similar to the Metroid GBA games which I enjoyed back then but now, the game feels really dated. The graphics aren't anything special. The gameplay is what you'd expect. As I said before, you've got games on the iphone like Angry Birds costing a $1 and they're charging £25 for this? It's not wayforward's fault. I just wish they'd have developed it for a current system instead of one that came out 6 years ago. I'd give it 3/5 and that's been generous.

3/5

SM

SM

With radiation being used to apparently explain the Crusher in the Colonial Marines companion game - will radiation also be the excuse for the Derelict being magically restored to it's former glory rather then being damaged like we see it in the Aliens SE? 

And to think it really should be completely destroyed by this point.

Another continuity nitpick, in the first line of the intro text.  Bishop (341-B) apparently sent a transmission just before leaving LV-426, saying that 11 marines were killed.  He says the Sulaco left six weeks earlier.  Make that three weeks methinks...  And it's confused even further by him saying their ETA at Gateway is 498 hours, which is almost exactly three weeks, and therefore correct.

derp...

EDIT- Forgot to mention - really love the original chestburster sound effect they use.

ANOTHER EDIT - Finished.  Pretty pissweak ending I thought.  In fact the entire last level was disappointing.

Spoiler
Too much running backwards and forwards through the ship with not many Aliens too shoot, as Darkness mentioned.  The EVA stuff was novel, and challenging, but it really wasn't as fun as earlier levels.
[close]

jthuconn

jthuconn

I just finished it.  I'm very curious to hear about the variations on the ending that WF alluded to.  I wouldn't mind playing it again but I would like to know what my endgame is.

Ikarop- any chance of getting the other Marine art profiles like the ones in the Developer Diary?

ikarop

ikarop

Quote from: jthuconn on Oct 13, 2011, 03:54:58 AM
I just finished it.  I'm very curious to hear about the variations on the ending that WF alluded to.  I wouldn't mind playing it again but I would like to know what my endgame is.

Ikarop- any chance of getting the other Marine art profiles like the ones in the Developer Diary?

I may ask once the last dev diary is published.

jthuconn

jthuconn

Quote from: ikarop on Oct 13, 2011, 12:01:01 PM
Quote from: jthuconn on Oct 13, 2011, 03:54:58 AM

I may ask once the last dev diary is published.

Thanks, that would be great.  I'm a huge Bachalo fan and love the artwork they've released so far.

Edit- The remainders were released in the diary today.  SO awesome.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed