A Prequel Disguised To Preserve Mystery?

Started by ThisBethesdaSea, Aug 30, 2011, 02:45:36 PM

Author
A Prequel Disguised To Preserve Mystery? (Read 3,186 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

I just re-read a short interview with Michael Fassbender and they said "perhaps, a prequel being disguised to preserve some mystery)" which, I'm sort of believing.

What if this IS more of a direct prequel all along? The imagery we've seen give credence to this, the sighting of men in traditional alien creature suits give evidence to this. Is this campaign of misinformation Ridleys way of making what we will see way more of a connecting film then anyone realizes. Fassbender also mentioned in a prior interview that this was a pretty direct prequel, or, that the connections to the first series was pretty obvious.

Marr

I think so...I have thought all along that this is an out and out Alien film and as it gets closer to release they will stop distancing themselves from the original films...well some of them!

I think they tried to be vague in the hope of working in peace which I guess has worked...sort off.

They will need to start to marketing this film soon though...most people will not even have heard of it yet or be aware of any connection to Alien.

NUB DESTROYER

That's nice if they want to preserve mystery. But if they don't acknowledge that it's a prequel (as what Ridley hinted at months ago) but it really is a prequel of sorts, then it would be a marketing disaster because there would be some or many Alien fans who would perhaps hold out from watching it at the theatres because they think it isn't an Aliens movie. Lost revenue.

Zeta Reticuli

Zeta Reticuli

i'll just say this:

Prometheus so far is looking to be awesome: the setting, the atmosphere, the concept (at least the snippets we know so far), everything seems to add up to a great epic movie with a mood very similar to the horror of the original ALIEN.

as far as i'm concerned, i do not even care anymore how much this movie is connected to the original movie/franchise. from what i gathered from rumors and such so far is that the connection might be minor at best, meaning that we as the audience can connect the DNA of the movies.

however, something happening storywise towards the ending of the movie that would actually make the connection to ALIEN clear, the apperreance of a Xeno or just anything that is a clear hint to the events in the film, whatever it may be, that would just be the icing on the cake for me.

and i wish i wouldn't spoil myself to take away the surprise of how this connection might be done....but meh  :-X

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Ultimately I don't care about the connection. My original post was in regards the campaign of misinformation as it related to Prometheus. That's what has me fascinated and it's so successful that still, a year later after the announcement of the film I still know next to nothing. Even the tidbits are suspect to me. There's a general outline as released by Fox, but that's it. What is true and what is false? I don't know, and I don't even really care. It's the questions and the mystery that intoxicate me.

I am loving every minute of the anticipation of this film.

Wobblyboddle77

Wobblyboddle77

I see where u guys are coming from and there are two mindsets which are. A) scott is being. Straight with us from from the outset because he knows fox has diluted the franchise  and wants fans to know hes taking it in a different direction. Or B) fox have told scott to be tight lipped about it being a prequel and its only being misinformation because hes been strictly told to by tom rothman and his exec cronies.

ThisBethesdaSea

I don't think it's down to those A and B options at all. Scott used to work in marketing and commercials. He knows what sells, he knows what has the potential to be viral or not. My opinion is that this strategy was drummed up by Lindelof and Scott and then submitted to Fox, and Fox bit and went with it.

Deuterium

Quote from: prometheUSA on Aug 30, 2011, 03:03:45 PM
That's nice if they want to preserve mystery. But if they don't acknowledge that it's a prequel (as what Ridley hinted at months ago) but it really is a prequel of sorts, then it would be a marketing disaster because there would be some or many Alien fans who would perhaps hold out from watching it at the theatres because they think it isn't an Aliens movie. Lost revenue.

Not meaning to create an argument....but, in all sincerity, what Alien "fans" are going to miss this film unless the Apocalypse occurs.  Seriously, anyone with any passing knowledge of either A L I E N (or Aliens, for that matter), or Sir Ridley Scott, is going to have their ass in the theater come hell or high water during the opening week.  If anything, the fact that the studio is not in any way referencing "Alien" is probably the greatest coup de main in cinema history...for precisely the fact that WE ALL KNOW it absolutely is related to A L I E N is some form or another.

Ghostface

My thought is perhaps it is an Alien prequel, but not in the literal sense. There's obviously space jockeys. But there are also talks of xenomorph being spotted too. Perhaps it isn't a prequel in the sense that it doesn't actually show the derelict or anything else from A L I E N, but tells a different jockey story?

NUB DESTROYER

Alien fans who don't think it's an Alien movie. Maybe not all fans are as zealous as you, deuterium. There exists "casual" fans believe it or not.

Also I'm not talking about what's in the movie, but am talking about what people think is inside the movie. Steer them the wrong way and it could lead to lost revenue -- marketing fail

Deuterium

Quote from: prometheUSA on Aug 31, 2011, 05:01:22 AM
Alien fans who don't think it's an Alien movie. Maybe not all fans are as zealous as you, deuterium. There exists "casual" fans believe it or not.

Also I'm not talking about what's in the movie, but am talking about what people think is inside the movie. Steer them the wrong way and it could lead to lost revenue -- marketing fail

I guess what I am trying to say, is that after Alien Resurrection, AvP and AvP:R, the franchise has already lost all credibility.  It's already "jumped the shark", so to speak.  Any movie using "Alien" in it's marquee, is not (in and of itself) a draw for the casual fan.  I think the studio and Ridley Scott realize this...and that their marketing strategy will be to captivate the "casual" movie fan with a compelling, original story.  I believe we will see an official trailer that will stand on it's own, with only subtle "hints" (to the A L I E N fan base) that Promethseus is connected in any way with the original film.

Ghostface

Agreed. I think it would be easier to convince the general ticket buyers this is a good movie with alien ties than a good alien film.

NUB DESTROYER

Quote from: deuterium on Aug 31, 2011, 05:20:01 AM
Quote from: prometheUSA on Aug 31, 2011, 05:01:22 AM

I guess what I am trying to say, is that after Alien Resurrection, AvP and AvP:R, the franchise has already lost all credibility.  It's already "jumped the shark", so to speak.  Any movie using "Alien" in it's marquee, is not (in and of itself) a draw for the casual fan.  I think the studio and Ridley Scott realize this...and that their marketing strategy will be to captivate the "casual" movie fan with a compelling, original story.  I believe we will see an official trailer that will stand on it's own, with only subtle "hints" (to the A L I E N fan base) that Promethseus is connected in any way with the original film.

That's a valid point but your last post is completely different from your previous one.

In the end, I don't know what the most optimal marketing strategy is for this movie. Maybe if it was a low-budget cerebral sci-fi thriller, then you can play around with the marketing strategy more. But with this movie, hundreds of millions of dollars are on the line.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: prometheUSA on Aug 31, 2011, 05:33:25 AM
That's a valid point but your last post is completely different from your previous one.

Yeah, I think I muddled my meaning on this topic.  In my original reply, my intended point was that all the Alien franchise fans (and that includes everyone here on this site) will be there, day one.  It is the casual fans (as you pointed out) that the studio needs to "grab".   While we all may have different views on how Prometheus is (or should) be marketed...my guess is that Fox will knowingly "distance" themselves from the original Alien franchise, and try to bring in the widest possible audience / demographic by promoting an original, compelling sci-fi thriller/horror film.  At the same time, they know they already have the hardcore fans, knocking each other over for their place at the head of the line for the screening.

Yes, it could be risky marketing...but it also may turn out to be a stroke of genius.  To summarize, tease the hell out of the hardcore fans, and bring in a new audience by having the teaser/trailers/online viral marketing create the buzz.  Notwithstanding the A L I E N heritage, the studio has to make this the "Must See" event film of 2012, for the everyday John Q. Public.

Never say no to Panda!

The tactic is not so bad...he got the attention of both sides: ALIEN-fans ('cause it might be an prequel) and SF-fans (even if they don't like ALIEN it could be something else, it's SF at least)...and don't forget the people, that just like Ridley's movies. Many potential customers  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed