Your thoughts on Drugs?

Started by daywalker, Aug 30, 2011, 10:21:03 AM

Author
Your thoughts on Drugs? (Read 48,851 times)

maledoro

maledoro

I've had several chemically-enhanced experiences and I've turned out okay.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Each to their own. As long as you're not hurting anybody, go for it. It's all about self control. I never tried any drugs (not including Sweet Ms. Mary) until I was 23 and felt I was mature enough to handle it.

A lot of my friends were on the pills and other shit from 15 onwards and some of their brains are permanently fried. It's sad to bump into an old high school friend that struggles to hold a normal conversation anymore.

As for weed, I love to indulge. My theory is its all good until it starts effecting your day to day life. If it gets in the way of friendships, relationships, careers or responsibilities, its not worth it. And that includes alcohol.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I have tried any drug besides alcohol. I don't plan to either, not only because the effects are bad but because I don't know how to get a hold of any, not to mention the stuff is expensive. Why waste the money?

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 31, 2011, 02:49:05 AMWhy waste the money?
If you feel you're wasting your money, it's because you haven't been buying the good stuff!
;D

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Always helpful, mal.

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Aug 31, 2011, 12:40:54 AM
It is impossible to overdose on marijuana. The sheer amount you would have to smoke would be several times your own body weight.

You completely missed the point. I never said anything about overdosing on marijuana, it was a slight to the idea that, America at least, has the ability to properly regulate the substance, as we've seen with our own safe over the counter and prescription medications.

The PredBen

The PredBen

Doing drugs occasionally for recreation (by drugs I'm meaning pot in this case) isn't to bad. It allows you to pass time by quicker and keep yourself relaxed. That being said, I don't agree with people becoming dependent on drugs, or any substance unless they medically need it.

I've met several people who can't go a day without Marijuana. While I don't have a problem with what they do with their free time (they're all very hard working people) I find it rather sad that they need it to keep a day enjoyable.

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 31, 2011, 01:56:54 AM
I hate drug testing. I fail to see what someone's past time has to do with their ability to work, especially if they're turning in results.

Considering what it costs to employ workers in the modern age, and the risks employers take doing so, they should absolutely have the right to know if you're on something or have been within 24 hours of working.

For example, my father's business can often see his workers heading into five different states, and the insurance coverage to work out of state can often reach more than 10 grand a month. That is a massive investment in only insurance. The employer has no right to know what his worker is putting in his body? He should only worry about his worker when he's behind the wheel of one of his company vehicles, or working on one of the half million dollar machines?  He has no right to know what he was doing prior to working with all this expensive equipment?

I know I'm a tad off topic, but the lack of employer's rights nowadays is disgusting.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: CELTICPRED on Aug 31, 2011, 04:02:37 AM
I hate drug testing. I fail to see what someone's past time has to do with their ability to work, especially if they're turning in results.

Considering what it costs to employ workers in the modern age, and the risks employers take doing so, they should absolutely have the right to know if you're on something or have been within 24 hours of working.

For example, my father's business can often see his workers heading into five different states, and the insurance coverage to work out of state can often reach more than 10 grand a month. That is a massive investment in only insurance. The employer has no right to know what his worker is putting in his body? He should only worry about his worker when he's behind the wheel of one of his company vehicles, or working on one of the half million dollar machines?  He has no right to know what he was doing prior to working with all this expensive equipment?

I know I'm a tad off topic, but the lack of employer's rights nowadays is disgusting.

What about lifestyles though? Should an employer monitor what you eat and drink and how much you exercise? Perhaps your health and fitness can effect your ability to perform at 100%. Would you be comfortable with a sleep monitor to make sure you are getting the required hours of shut eye every night?

The PredBen

The PredBen

Quote from: Ghostface on Aug 31, 2011, 04:07:13 AM

What about lifestyles though? Should an employer monitor what you eat and drink and how much you exercise? Perhaps your health and fitness can effect your ability to perform at 100%. Would you be comfortable with a sleep monitor to make sure you are getting the required hours of shut eye every night?

Personally, if my employee is doing a good job, than I can care less if he's doing Marijuana in his free time. However, if his work becomes sloppy, and he has the signature signs of doing Marijuana, than yes, I'd want him to do a drug test.

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Annual physicals are required as an insurance precaution for the type of heavy labor they do. Overall health is checked. What? You don't want them to be allowed to check this stuff anymore?

See, you're dealing with false equivalency here.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: The PredBen on Aug 31, 2011, 04:10:32 AM
Quote from: Ghostface on Aug 31, 2011, 04:07:13 AM

Personally, if my employee is doing a good job, than I can care less if he's doing Marijuana in his free time. However, if his work becomes sloppy, and he has the signature signs of doing Marijuana, than yes, I'd want him to do a drug test.

Absolutely. I agree that if it is affecting your job, your employer should have a say in what goes on after hours. If it doesn't then they should just leave it alone.

Having said that there are numerous drugs that have a physical effect on you for days. These would definitely effect your work and if you're going to check for one group of drugs might as well do the whole lot. For industries where safety comes into it I can see why they would drug test.

Quote from: CELTICPRED on Aug 31, 2011, 04:19:03 AM
Annual physicals are required as an insurance precaution for the type of heavy labor they do. Overall health is checked. What? You don't want them to be allowed to check this stuff anymore?

See, you're dealing with false equivalency here.

Perhaps. How about a sleep test though? If there were an economical test to check how much sleep you had over the last month, would you be happy with tests at random?

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Quote from: Ghostface on Aug 31, 2011, 04:23:05 AM
Perhaps. How about a sleep test though? If there were an economical test to check how much sleep you had over the last month, would you be happy with tests at random?

Physical exhaustion is easily detectable without any form of testing. Same can't be said for the leisure type of illegal substances.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: CELTICPRED on Aug 31, 2011, 04:28:10 AM
Quote from: Ghostface on Aug 31, 2011, 04:23:05 AM

Physical exhaustion is easily detectable without any form of testing. Same can't be said for the leisure type of illegal substances.

Not always. Sometimes a lack of sleep isn't detectable. Some people don't show signs of fatigue as easily as others.

Having said all that though I do believe in drug testing in certain industries. It really is necessary no matter how you look at it.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I would say don't try it until your absolutely sure you can handle it.  And I'm not talking the super addictive hard to get off shit like heroin, meth or cocaine.  That shit should always be avoided.

Recreational drugs like weed and alcohol can be fine in limited doses.  I've a friend thats a f**king idiot now because he's been blowed every day since we were about fifteen together.  I can't even stand to be around him anymore because he's dumber than a box of rocks.

Alcohol is WAY more dangerous though.  If you drive 45 mph while high on weed if feels like your going 70.  Your paranoid as shit.  And all you want to do is go to taco bell, order half the menu, and go back home before the police show up.  Alcohol is different. It emboldens you. I've known many people from my graduating class that were constantly drunk and are no longer with us.  It's one thing to recreationally drink every now and again.  Another to wrap your car around a tree going so fast that when your body is recovered your family has trouble identifying your remains.

Which has happened more than once in my experience.

I knew a guy in hs who got drunk, got on his rice burner going about 70 and drifted into a minivan.  They found body parts of his fifty yards away in a f**king corn field.

Slow your roles sons. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed