New Aliens series by John Layman/Sam Keith

Started by vikingspawn, Jul 28, 2011, 05:04:14 PM

Author
New Aliens series by John Layman/Sam Keith (Read 36,039 times)

shadowedge

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 12, 2012, 01:10:36 AM
Well I wouldn't say "very prominent" - out of like 120+ issues, they probably show up maybe a dozen times at most.

Really? Wow I must be seriously misremembering or something then.

Xenomrph

Yeah, the Internet tells me there were 201 issues of DHP across all 3 of its runs (to date), and here's a complete list of Aliens/Predator/AvP stories from Dark Horse Presents:

Alien
- Theory of Alien Propagation (DHP #24)
- The Alien (DHP #56)
- Reapers (DHP Fifth Anniversary Special)
- Incubation (DHP #101-102)
- Once in a Lifetime (DHP #140)
- Headhunters (DHP #117)

AvP
- The Web (DHP #146-147)

Predator
- God's Truth (DHP #46)
- Demon's Gold (DHP #137)

You might be thinking of the "Dark Horse Comics" serial anthology series, which also had a bunch of A/P/AvP stories too. DHP was always in black-and-white, DHC was always in color.

happypred

I've always been curious, what was the point of having DH Presents and DH Comics? Was one more geared toward a younger audience?

predxeno

Thank God, I thought Dark Horse would never release another Aliens comic.

Corporal Hicks

I wonder if this is the actual work they did or something side to it? I'm trying to get in touch with the pair to chat with them.

You realize they've recently released Fast Track to Heaven, right?

predxeno

Yeah, I know but I was starting to worry that that would be the only Aliens-related work that we'd be seeing in years.

Xenomrph

Quote from: happypred on Feb 13, 2012, 04:51:38 PM
I've always been curious, what was the point of having DH Presents and DH Comics? Was one more geared toward a younger audience?
DHP was always in black-and-white, since originally all of Dark Horse's work was strictly in black-and-white (including the first Aliens series they did), so DHP stayed true to that. DHC was always in color, so I guess it was around so they could tell stories in color if they wanted to without "compromising" DHP.

HybridNewborn

I really hope this is a fresh start. I can not tell you how disappointed I was when the 2009 series decided to keep to the convoluted contradictory continuity circle-jerk that Dark Horse made of the earlier Aliens & AvP comics.

If we're lucky, this new series will start with the films as a base and ignore the comics that came before.

Lonely Universe

Not sure why everybody is down on Sam Keith. I know his art is strange and psychedelic at times but if you ask me it fits in a way, especially when thinking about the shape of the derelict. Personally I enjoyed the original prints of Earth War. The shitty recolor they did for Female War is what ruined people's perceptions if you ask me.

It's difficult to cry foul on the use of an individual artist when it comes to an anthology series. They are all temporary, so just roll with it.

However, I am concerned about the writing. I can't recall having ever read anything by John Layman but if Fast Track to Heaven is any indication then Dark Horse really needs to step it up in the quality control dept. That whole thing was just stupid with it's pretentious Biblical references and generic scarred up soldiers ::)

happypred

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 13, 2012, 07:32:57 PM
DHP was always in black-and-white, since originally all of Dark Horse's work was strictly in black-and-white (including the first Aliens series they did), so DHP stayed true to that. DHC was always in color, so I guess it was around so they could tell stories in color if they wanted to without "compromising" DHP.
Ah, thanks. I've personally always preferred color, but I suppose black and white has its artsy appeal

Xenomrph

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Feb 14, 2012, 12:05:32 AM
I really hope this is a fresh start. I can not tell you how disappointed I was when the 2009 series decided to keep to the convoluted contradictory continuity circle-jerk that Dark Horse made of the earlier Aliens & AvP comics.

If we're lucky, this new series will start with the films as a base and ignore the comics that came before.
Gonna disagree there, there really isn't a reason to ignore the older comics.

predxeno

The new comics can always ignore the old ones, but they can never wipe them out of canon unless they say that those stories were actually dreams, etc.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: EarthAngel on Feb 14, 2012, 12:35:45 AM
Not sure why everybody is down on Sam Keith. I know his art is strange and psychedelic at times but if you ask me it fits in a way, especially when thinking about the shape of the derelict. Personally I enjoyed the original prints of Earth War. The shitty recolor they did for Female War is what ruined people's perceptions if you ask me.

It's difficult to cry foul on the use of an individual artist when it comes to an anthology series. They are all temporary, so just roll with it.

However, I am concerned about the writing. I can't recall having ever read anything by John Layman but if Fast Track to Heaven is any indication then Dark Horse really needs to step it up in the quality control dept. That whole thing was just stupid with it's pretentious Biblical references and generic scarred up soldiers ::)

I have to agree with the first half of your post. I never understood why so many folks out there seem to hate an artist's work because it's different from the norm. I guess I'm just more passive when it comes to these sort of things - I see the multitudes of comics and stories as unique entities that are all good in their own way. I'm going to be purchasing the new series once it releases regardless of prior public opinion :) Also need to pick up Fast Track to Heaven.

SiL

Like that'd stop you.

Corporal Hicks

Right, this is the same series them pair were working on: "same story. they've decided to serialized it in DHP before collecting it."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed