Plot [Rumor]

Started by ikarop, Jun 30, 2011, 12:05:09 AM

Author
Plot [Rumor] (Read 37,774 times)

Gigerapparition

Gigerapparition

The overwhelming logistics of a speed and fuel resources of a craft could surely be overcome
(within the sci-fi realm of course) by jumping to a pre-determined distant planet using a 'wormhole'
rather than FLT? I am currently reading 'The Forever War' and it seems that (comparatively) instantaneous
space travel is the chosen mode in this book.

One potentialy dumb but plausible question has always remained for me concerning FLT - how
is collision with space debris from dust to planet-sized obstacles avoided while travellling at such
unfathomable speeds? This makes the wormhole option even more of a better choice.

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Quote from: azrael55 on Jul 03, 2011, 03:32:07 AM
maybe the only connection in THIS prometheus movie will be the space jockeys and a version of the alien. they might consider making the connection storywise (crash of the sj's ship) in a potential sequel to prometheus - or not at all...

This!

It has now been confirmed so many times that the film will take place in t he Alien universe... but it's NOT an Alien film in itself. So I don't know why people are complaining here and saying that a galaxy built for 20 years is being disregarded in this film. It's not, its simply a standalone film that will tie in with the first Alien movie (I still think it will not accept "Aliens", "Alien 3" or "Rez" as canon, it will redefine what we have known so far about xenomorphs. Don't expect "Hive", "Drones", "Queens" etc.)

Scott is using the first Alien film to create something bigger and more meaningful (If anything in that storyline that I just read is true). I can totally understand why he didn't want to make it an Alien movie, because the Xenomorph Alien is just one part of this gigantic universe that he is about to unleash on us.

nendo

nendo

Quote from: deuterium on Jul 05, 2011, 03:04:19 AM

Well, then prepare yourself to suspend disbelief.  Do you have any conception of how much energy it would take to CONTINUOUSLY accelerate a multi-ton spacecraft at 10G's for approximately a year?  Forget about the fact that one would have to deccelerate the spacecraft at same rate.

Well the amount of energy would be alot(putting it lightly) but to CONTINUOUSLY accelerate for a year? sorry if i miss understood what you have put but would would you continuously need to accelerate? Once you hit that speed required you don't need to continue to apply that acceleration. There is no resistance in space that would slow the ship down to a hault. The only real issue for speed then would be gravity Plus a multi-ton weighing cargo ship would weight 0 n in space for there would be no conventional gravity to give it a weight

harlock

harlock

You would accelerate, then at the halfway point (astrogation on ship's computer will total and do this - the crew will be in Grav-couches for the trip) you deccelerate at the same rate. A set of gravity drives in the ship would get rid of the remass problem (you'd still need some fuel to power it -keeping it turned on- though).
We're talking about a level of technology that is very advanced and doesnt work like our currently decommisioned space shuttles did - it would be faster and way more efficient.

I only mention this as this would be how time dilation would factor into the plot in its actual way - and thats if the destination is Zeta 2 Reticuli and the ship doesnt end up drifting to it or whatever planet the ship will land on. As I work out all this hard scifi information, the less I see the film doing something like this - though maybe someone can pick this up for an Alien fanfic, eh?

Bum Burster

Bum Burster

Sounds like an AVP plot, minus the Predators.

C.R.A.P.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Quote from: Bum Burster on Jul 09, 2011, 12:42:23 PM

C.R.A.P.

LOL...agreed. The ENTIRETY of the AvP world quivers with mediocrity.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The lack of hard scifi never really bothered me in the series.  It probably isn't going to bother me in Prometheus either.  As long as they don't go the space opera route like SW where the universe itself feels completely different I'll be okay.

Just put on the window dressing and make it seem legit.

Zenzucht

Zenzucht

I would love to see some Erotomechanics..

By the way, does anybody know 'A Strange Hour' by Recoil?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jul 09, 2011, 03:00:40 PM

C.R.A.P.

Hey now, the first comic, and avp2 PC rocked. It's just all the other avp things which fail abysmally. :laugh:

azrael55

azrael55

Quote from: Ktulhut on Jul 09, 2011, 11:33:27 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jul 09, 2011, 03:00:40 PM

C.R.A.P.

Hey now, the first comic, and avp2 PC rocked. It's just all the other avp things which fail abysmally. :laugh:

don't forget the first avp game - which is still the scariest game to date. less scripts, more random alien encounters :D never finished the marine campaign

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Jaguar or AvP 2000?

Lonely Universe

Lonely Universe

I like a good chunk of the AvP stuff but despise the movies. Most of the games are good & some of the comics.

azrael55

azrael55

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 10, 2011, 10:21:49 AM
Jaguar or AvP 2000?

avp 2000 :) never had an atari, but the jaguar avp is supposed to be quite scary as well :D

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: azrael55 on Jul 10, 2011, 11:56:28 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 10, 2011, 10:21:49 AM
Jaguar or AvP 2000?

avp 2000 :) never had an atari, but the jaguar avp is supposed to be quite scary as well :D
Yeah the control method and map design was a nightmare.

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

Well i guess it will be a futuristic comedy (they should hire Seth Rogan)...and since it plays in the same universe in the end some drunk teenage guy (Jonah Hill or Michael Cera)  will pass LV-426 with his spacecraft and crash into the Derelict.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed