Damon Lindelof talks Prometheus [Video]

Started by Darkoo, Jun 28, 2011, 04:37:28 AM

Author
Damon Lindelof talks Prometheus [Video] (Read 23,208 times)

CainsSon

Quote from: Pn2501 on Jul 01, 2011, 03:48:38 AM
the search button is a click away.

Yeah my only possible missgiving with lindelof writing, is wether his tone is a right fit for Ridley, he even address the problem in the interview, saying how he has a lighter tone, and ridley is very serious.

I caught that, I wonder how pressured he'll be to lighten it up. Cause you know Ridley will shoot it really dense.

Ghostface

I think Ridley has enough weight for this movie to shoot it how he wants to. If he wants it to be more serious, he'll make it happen.

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 01, 2011, 01:53:31 AM

Honestly, Giger was all they needed, designing new creatures. I dont trust anybody else to do something interesting. Even if thye used other people for contrast, I have never been scared by anything Neville Page has designed.

Well, the first movie relied on more than one person designing the creatures, but when Giger wasn't directly involved, they were stiill using Giger's Necronomicon as central point of reference. So the chestburster and the facehugger in the end were not Giger creations but were based on Giger's creativity. I think Dan drew the design for the Facehugger based on what different people wanted taken from Giger's paintings. So I could respect a decision to have Neville draw something based on various things from Giger's work in that way.

Ghostface

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Jul 01, 2011, 09:54:18 AM
Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 01, 2011, 01:53:31 AM

Honestly, Giger was all they needed, designing new creatures. I dont trust anybody else to do something interesting. Even if thye used other people for contrast, I have never been scared by anything Neville Page has designed.

Well, the first movie relied on more than one person designing the creatures, but when Giger wasn't directly involved, they were stiill using Giger's Necronomicon as central point of reference. So the chestburster and the facehugger in the end were not Giger creations but were based on Giger's creativity. I think Dan drew the design for the Facehugger based on what different people wanted taken from Giger's paintings. So I could respect a decision to have Neville draw something based on various things from Giger's work in that way.

Same way as James Cameron and Stan Winston used Giger's work as reference when designing for Aliens. I have faith in Ridley that he will get the most out of Page.

ThisBethesdaSea

That lighter tone is what crucified (and rightly so) Alien Resurrection.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jul 01, 2011, 04:21:05 PM

Yyyyyyup.

Valaquen

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jul 01, 2011, 05:41:20 PM
http://images.wikia.com/avp/images/b/bc/Alien-4-clones-3-6.jpg
Yyyyyyup.
One scene man, one scene ...

It wasn't enough for most. I know you dig it my brudda  8)

ThisBethesdaSea

That one scene was, for me, the only real ALIEN moment in the film. Then it was killed by that awful one-liner by Johner...a terrible name for a character too by the way. I like the idea that the "kill me" was used in every film save for alien3.

Mus

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jul 01, 2011, 07:05:06 PM
I like the idea that the "kill me" was used in every film save for alien3.

Well, there's the axe scene, kinda. Kinda.

CainsSon

Quote from: Mus on Jul 01, 2011, 10:24:42 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jul 01, 2011, 07:05:06 PM
I like the idea that the "kill me" was used in every film save for alien3.

Well, there's the axe scene, kinda. Kinda.

I like the scene with Ripley putting the knife through her hand. With the exception of one line of dialogue.
"..This pain, this nightmare,..." This melodramatic dialogue. Please make that stop.

Pn2501

Im not worried about ridleys interpretation of tone per-say, just the story, as even lindelof pointed out it's he isn't really used to being so serious, I do take comfort that Ridley guided the writing process with lindelof though.

ThisBethesdaSea

"This pain, this nightmare" I'm sure when Whedon was writing it he thought it was lyrical and beautiful dialogue, as opposed to stilted and very unreal when spoken. Whoever told Whedon he could write obviously led him astray.

What happened with imo AR is that despite the lighter and almost parody tone, it lost ALL of the seriousness of the first 3 films with the exception of a few moments here or there. I couldn't and didn't believe that what any of the characters were experiencing was real.

Why ALIEN is a masterpiece for me is, in large part due to how believable each moment was; Lamberts emotional breakdown, Parkers freak out, and ultimately Ripleys default heroism that came off as if she was terrified and pissed off all at once. The characters of ALIEN are what made that movie, not the designs and certainly not the alien creature (to a certain extent).

I miss actors really acting, and selling how scared they might be in a given situation. There was a moment in ALIEN where Ripley runs into the creature in the corridor. She gets so scared she seems like she is going to throw up. THAT is fear. That is what these films have been missing...authentic fear married to authentic characters.

For all of ALIENS greatness, it did not carry this sense of realism over, nor did the masterpiece that I believe ALIEN3 is.

Snowdog

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jul 02, 2011, 09:19:50 PM
"This pain, this nightmare" I'm sure when Whedon was writing it he thought it was lyrical and beautiful dialogue, as opposed to stilted and very unreal when spoken. Whoever told Whedon he could write obviously led him astray.

What happened with imo AR is that despite the lighter and almost parody tone, it lost ALL of the seriousness of the first 3 films with the exception of a few moments here or there. I couldn't and didn't believe that what any of the characters were experiencing was real.

Why ALIEN is a masterpiece for me is, in large part due to how believable each moment was; Lamberts emotional breakdown, Parkers freak out, and ultimately Ripleys default heroism that came off as if she was terrified and pissed off all at once. The characters of ALIEN are what made that movie, not the designs and certainly not the alien creature (to a certain extent).

I miss actors really acting, and selling how scared they might be in a given situation. There was a moment in ALIEN where Ripley runs into the creature in the corridor. She gets so scared she seems like she is going to throw up. THAT is fear. That is what these films have been missing...authentic fear married to authentic characters.

For all of ALIENS greatness, it did not carry this sense of realism over, nor did the masterpiece that I believe ALIEN3 is.

FINALLY ! somebody that has the exact some opinion about movies as i do  8) I'm telling these stories for years to my friends. But i always get some lame reaction that i'm overreacting and everything :P this is the thing movies are missing nowadays.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed