Movies that have ruined careers of actors and directors

Started by Ratchetcomand, Jun 25, 2011, 04:08:11 AM

Author
Movies that have ruined careers of actors and directors (Read 9,072 times)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I'm pretty sure Godzilla '98 ruined Maria Pitillo's career.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

She was and is mainly a tv series actress. Still is.

TheMonolith

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jun 25, 2011, 05:16:35 PM
Speaking of career-ruining movies, I think Jan de Bont only did the second Tomb Raider after Haunting.
Not much of an improvement.

Irwin Allen.
His career was killed by a flop trilogy.
The Swarm, Beyond the Poseidon Adventure and When Time Ran Out. Three of the worst movies ever made, one after the other.
After that, it was only B TV movies for him. Darn shamed too. He proved he could do good stuff with The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno, but he couldn't seem to escape the formula and when it died out, he didn't abandon ship.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: TheMonolith on Jun 25, 2011, 05:24:20 PM
Haha!

Checking on IMDb, he only directed five movies.
Tomb Raider 2 (2003)
The Haunting (1999)
Speed 2 (1997)
Twister (1996)
Speed (1994)

I love Twister, but that's gotta be because Crichton wrote the script.

Keg

As for M Night Shyamalan's career being ruined by The Last Airbender, somehow I doubt it. The guy has given us stinker after stinker ever since Signs. He had a trilogy of hits with Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs and then gave us The Village, which I quite liked but it is shit to be honest. Then it got even worse with the woeful Lady In The Water and I never even bothered with The Happening or The Last Airbender because I'd heard they were crap.

So hes had four crap films in a row going back 7 or 8 years, long before The Last Airbender. But the film he wrote and produced, Devil, did quite well and recieved decent enough reviews, albeit mixed and that was after four flops in a row so I wouldnt count him out just yet.

TheMonolith

I think it is because his movies are hysterical.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jun 25, 2011, 05:28:22 PM
Haha!

Tomb Raider 2 (2003)
The Haunting (1999)
Speed 2 (1997)
Twister (1996)
Speed (1994)

Speed is the only really good film he did with Twister being a guilty pleasure of mine based mainly on nostalgia.
Looks like a flop trilogy got him too.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I think Red Planet (2000) ruined Val Kilmer career. He does nothing but direct to video movies now, the last time I check.

QuoteBut the film he wrote and produced, Devil,

Brian Nelson (30 Days of Night) write the screenplay for Devil. Shyamalan just created the story behind the movie.

TJ Doc

Quote from: TheMonolith on Jun 25, 2011, 05:31:05 PM
I think it is because his movies are hysterical.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jun 25, 2011, 05:28:22 PM
Haha!

Tomb Raider 2 (2003)
The Haunting (1999)
Speed 2 (1997)
Twister (1996)
Speed (1994)

Speed is the only really good film he did with Twister being a guilty pleasure of mine based mainly on nostalgia.
Looks like a flop trilogy got him too.

It's a shame about his directing career, but it's good that he'll always be remembered as a brilliant cinematographer. 

TheMonolith

Yeah. Those flop trilogies are killers.

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 25, 2011, 05:33:30 PM
I think Red Planet (2000) ruined Val Kilmer career.
Nah. Val did Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, one of his most well known films, after Red Planet.

Keg

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 25, 2011, 05:33:30 PM
I think Red Planet (2000) ruined Val Kilmer career. He does nothing but direct to video movies now, the last time I check.

QuoteBut the film he wrote and produced, Devil,

Brian Nelson (30 Days of Night) write the screenplay for Devil. Shyamalan just created the story behind the movie.

Hes credited as a writer and producer. One way or another he was involved with it.

As for Val Kilmer I'd say hes never really went away. He still pops up now and again in some good films. Infact Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is one of his best films ever and thats only about 5 years old. He appeared in the Tony Scott film De Ja'Vu alongside Denzel Washington a few years ago and other films like Spartan and Alexander.

Sure he doesnt appear on the big screen much anymore and he does do alot of Direct to Video stuff but alot of them are actually pretty good. I still think hes got it in him to make a comeback to the big time. I hope so anyway because I enjoy his films alot.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: TheMonolith on Jun 25, 2011, 05:40:10 PM
Nah. Val did Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, one of his most well known films, after Red Planet.

I hear Kiss Bang Bang did not very well at the box office. I remember he was very popular when he star in Batman Forever back in 1995. I still wonder what happen John Rhys-Davies? Could be that In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (2008) damage his career, he is just doing shitty Anaconda movies now.

RagingDragon

I think The Village and Lady in the Water were incredible movies, if a bit unique.  I hated The Village at first because I:
Spoiler
wanted a real monster movie.  Really who hasn't seen The Village? :laugh:
[close]
but after watching it a few more times, I really grew to love it.  So much beauty and such a great concept, deserves much more credit than it gets.

I didn't even see The Last Airbender, nor watch the anime, but lord did the stink still reach my nose!  Every fan of the series I knew was cursing and spitting all over everything at the mere mention of the film.

Prime113

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 25, 2011, 05:50:02 PM
Quote from: TheMonolith on Jun 25, 2011, 05:40:10 PM

I hear Kiss Bang Bang did not very well at the box office. I remember he was very popular when he star in Batman Forever back in 1995. I still wonder what happen John Rhys-Davies? Could be that In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (2008) damage his career, he is just doing shitty Anaconda movies now.

You should watch KKBB. That is my favorite Val Kilmer movie. And the reason it didn't do well, wasn't because it sucked, it was actually pretty awesome, but because the distributors failed to well, distribute.  It's maximum theater count in the U.S was like 600.

First Blood

Quote from: TJ Doc on Jun 25, 2011, 11:54:48 AM
The Lord's fall can be traced all the way back to 1994.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyD_6_jFB8A#ws

With that, his Golden Age was finished, and there'd only be time for an Under Seige sequel before it was all just about over.

I am still curious as to why he signed on to do Executive Decision, only to be sucked out the plane 20 minutes into the movie.

SiL

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 25, 2011, 04:08:11 AM
Chris O'Donnell - Batman & Robin (1997)
He's had a pretty damn good TV career.

QuoteLance Henriksen - Alien vs. Predator (2004)
Whut? The guy's still doing exactly what he's been doing for decades; cameos and walk-on parts in terrible monster movies. That's what Henrikson does.

I am disappoint that no-one's mentioned Freaks ruining Tod Browning's career, seeing as it's a genuine case of someone's career being completely destroyed by one film. He went from making two movies a year most years to four movies over seven years -- two of which he was uncredited for. The reception to that film was so negative no-one was willing to hire the man.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed