Alien Vault: The Definitive Story of the Making of the Film

Started by CorruptionSolid, Jun 14, 2011, 09:56:14 AM

Author
Alien Vault: The Definitive Story of the Making of the Film (Read 23,227 times)

Shasvre

Quote from: ikarop on Sep 22, 2011, 08:22:25 PMReally nice video review here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSo9Lqei_5w#ws
Watched about half of that (don't want to spoil the whole thing) and there seems to be a lot of stuff I haven't seen before. Will definitely get this, perhaps even next week is the shipping is fast enough. :)

T Dog

AMAZON:
"Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page."

Damn, I have a voucher and want to get it. Hope it wasn't one of you guys who moaned that it wasn't "definitive" enough.

Mr. Domino

I love the picture of Sigourney and Bolaji in full costume sitting talking to Ridley. I'd never seen that one before.

alienfan95610

Book got a VERY positive review in Fangoria #308. Nice to see.

Alienseseses

Just got this as a Chanukah present! Can't wait to crack it open.

EEV-2501

^Got it for Christmas. Can't wait too.

Xenomrph

Finally bought myself a copy, should be here in the next week or so!

Promethean Fire

I got this for £15 from Amazon and have to admit, I got slightly bored reading it.  If you have been exposed to every behind the scene media on the market, there is not much new on offer here.  Plus, I really hate the schoolboy error of combining "Weylan Yutani" with the W-Y logo from ALIENS.

Saying that it looks nice on a coffee table.

Xenomrph

I actually thought that was pretty clever, and the book is actually self-aware about it - on the page with the Nostromo schematics, it specifically points out that the schematics have "Weyland", meaning they must be from a timeframe after 'Alien'.

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 23, 2012, 02:29:59 AM
I actually thought that was pretty clever, and the book is actually self-aware about it - on the page with the Nostromo schematics, it specifically points out that the schematics have "Weyland", meaning they must be from a timeframe after 'Alien'.

The problem is though, the cover design feels more like a publishing error.  Yes, the author is aware of the change in name between the first and second film.  However, to feel more authentic towards the original movie, they really should have used the Egyptian Wings logo from the first movie instead of the logo from the second.

Unless they were actually trying to piss off Cameron haters in the first place.  ;)

SM

I picked it up in Singapore only due to a very favourable exhange rate, meaning it was a shitload cheaper than at home.  Love the Nostromo schematic (noting the change in length), but only glanced at the rest so far.  The mention of WY being an invention of Ron Shusett was annoying.

Xenomrph

QuoteLove the Nostromo schematic (noting the change in length)
What do you mean?

SM

It's always been quoted as being 800' long.

The dude who did the blueprint measured it properly using known lengths from the film and came up with 1095'.

Mind you the accepted length for the Sulaco from the CMTM has been wrong for yonks too.

Xenomrph

I didn't realize the length from the CMTM was wrong. How do we know it was wrong, though?

SM

Measure the airlock set and compare it to the model when the Queen gets dumped out.

I think the CMTM says the length is over 385m.  I did rough calculations years and years ago and came up with a figure around 200m longer.  The guy who did the Nostromo worked with some other guys and they're arrived at a length of over 700m.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed