Alien Vault: The Definitive Story of the Making of the Film

Started by CorruptionSolid, Jun 14, 2011, 09:56:14 AM

Author
Alien Vault: The Definitive Story of the Making of the Film (Read 22,997 times)

Corporal Hicks

Rightio, should be securing a single copy from the UK publishers (which if they send to me, I'll look at doing as a worldwide thing depending on shipping) and a single copy for North Americans.

Also looks like we maybe able to sort out special AvPG price for those wanting to just purchase.

More information after the weekend when we sort it.

Corporal Hicks

Will definitely be a competition. 1 UK winner, 1 Northern US winner. Will be sorting the finer details of the competition out, will be up ASAP.

Ash 937

I haven't yet seen a hardcore review of this book from a serious Alien fan.  The best I've seen are general impressions from people on this thread that aren't too long.  Anyone here got a link to something more thorough?   

Quote from: Laufey on Aug 29, 2011, 02:53:51 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Rm1_1Ow0JtE/TlejIdo25kI/AAAAAAAABeo/qRKSXQo9H0E/s1600/AV+back+cover2.jpg

What are the thoughts on some of the goodies that come with this book (pictured above)?  I will probably order mine later this week.

weylandchronicles

I have a review here - http://www.prometheusmovienews.co.uk/2011/09/alien-vault-book-review/

If there's anything specific you want to know just ask and I'll try to answer :-)

Corporal Hicks

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=40326.msg1190587;boardseen#new

Competition is live now. I'm currently reading Alien Vault and will have my review up soon. I'll also be speaking to Ian Nathan soon too.

Ash 937

Thanks for the links, guys.  From the reviews, this book appears to be a real treat for Alien fans.

weylandchronicles

It certainly is a treat!

And from the sounds of it, if the book is a success we may well get more covering the rest of the series as well (see Ian Nathan's comments here).

Personally, for all I care he can skip Aliens and just go straight to a book on Alien 3 - now THERE'S a making-of story I want to read!

Ash 937

Quote from: prometheusweyland on Sep 14, 2011, 09:50:54 AM
Personally, for all I care he can skip Aliens and just go straight to a book on Alien 3 - now THERE'S a making-of story I want to read!

Me too.  It is nearly impossible to get David Fincher to seriously acknowledge that film for anymore than a few moments per interview.  It would be amazing if we could finally get his in-depth perspective on the film and then have it finally distributed through one of these books.  The making of Alien3 featurettes in both the Quadrilogy and Anthology were great but the lack of Fincher's own input made them feel more incomplete than Alien3.  Haha.

I think Alien3 is a fascinating film largely in part to what what going on behind the camera as it was being made.  But that's a hardcore fan's perspective.  I'm not sure if there is enough interest in the general population to justify a book on Alien3 in the same way that there is general interest in the first two films.

alienfan95610

Quote from: Ash 937 on Sep 14, 2011, 01:03:38 PM
Quote from: prometheusweyland on Sep 14, 2011, 09:50:54 AM

Me too.  It is nearly impossible to get David Fincher to seriously acknowledge that film for anymore than a few moments per interview.  It would be amazing if we could finally get his in-depth perspective on the film and then have it finally distributed through one of these books.  The making of Alien3 featurettes in both the Quadrilogy and Anthology were great but the lack of Fincher's own input made them feel more incomplete than Alien3.  Haha.

I think Alien3 is a fascinating film largely in part to what what going on behind the camera as it was being made.  But that's a hardcore fan's perspective.  I'm not sure if there is enough interest in the general population to justify a book on Alien3 in the same way that there is general interest in the first two films.

Fincher hates that movie..and rightly so....I wouldn't have anything to say about it either if I were him...do you really need to see him say in print or otherwise how he feels about it?....You already know...

Ash 937

That's not my point.  I know he doesn't like the movie...but I would be interested to see what he would've done differently if he could and what his vision was before FOX got too involved with the process.  It would also be cool to get a book that offered input from all the directors and screen writers that were involved with Alien3 at some point in its development.

Again, I don't think that this sort of thing will ever happen simply because Alien3 does not have the same following that the first two films have in the mind of the general public.  It would simply be a stupid idea to put so much production and effort into a book about a film that most people don't like.

weylandchronicles

Quote from: Ash 937 on Sep 14, 2011, 04:16:33 PM
Again, I don't think that this sort of thing will ever happen simply because Alien3 does not have the same following that the first two films have in the mind of the general public.  It would simply be a stupid idea to put so much production and effort into a book about a film that most people don't like.

Well, as Ian Nathan said in my interview with him, there have already been talks about and Aliens book, and HE would love to do an Alien 3 book, so if the sales match the passion we may see one :-)

SM

QuoteThat's not my point.  I know he doesn't like the movie...but I would be interested to see what he would've done differently if he could and what his vision was before FOX got too involved with the process. 

It'd be a short piece as his answer would be "Everything".

Ash 937

Quote from: prometheusweyland on Sep 14, 2011, 09:25:57 PM
Well, as Ian Nathan said in my interview with him, there have already been talks about and Aliens book, and HE would love to do an Alien 3 book, so if the sales match the passion we may see one :-)

As skeptical as I am I still think this would be awesome. 

Quote from: SM on Sep 14, 2011, 11:26:37 PM
QuoteThat's not my point.  I know he doesn't like the movie...but I would be interested to see what he would've done differently if he could and what his vision was before FOX got too involved with the process. 

It'd be a short piece as his answer would be "Everything".

I don't think its that simple.  David Fincher initially had a lot of ambition for this film when he signed on to direct it.  He saw how far the production had gone so far and he did see the script that was in-progress...he had to have somethings about it to join the crew.  I think Alien3 initiates a lot of good ideas (that Fincher was behind) but that ultimately fell short of his own expectations.  There are a lot of places in this production where he simply wasn't allowed to explore and I think he would have a few things to say about things like that.

SM

If he did Alien3 again he'd do it from the ground up his way, rather than coming on at the 'last minute' without a proper script.

That said he was often his own worst enemy, thinking he was Kubrick or Scott shooting endless takes of the most mundane things.

Ash 937

Quote from: SM on Sep 14, 2011, 11:56:25 PM
That said he was often his own worst enemy, thinking he was Kubrick or Scott shooting endless takes of the most mundane things.

I think you're right about this.  Since Alien3, I feel like Fincher has really come into his own as a director.  If he made Alien3 from the ground up in 2011 it would be a completely different film...for better or worse.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed