Producer John Davis - “it needs to rest for a couple of years”

Started by Keyes, Jun 06, 2011, 03:57:18 PM

Author
Producer John Davis - “it needs to rest for a couple of years” (Read 40,320 times)

robbritton

robbritton

John Davis has all the artistic integrity of a Kit Kat wrapper. What he thinks of the stories should be about as noteworthy as what Kevin Peter Hall thought of the marketing.

Not that I'm still bitter about his insistence on AVP being on earth in the present day, or anything.

EDIT: Sorry, that's a little disingenuous. It's a good interview, I just find him irritating.

skull-splitter

I think Davis is the main person responsible for not listening to fans. Too little, too late. Also, I'd rather have Predators developing in a different direction, and become a story driven arc on its own, and leave Predator 1, 2, 3, 4 be their own standalones.

Le Celticant

I'm happy Davis stopped with AVP after requiem.
And I'm also happy he lets PREDATORS sink down the sea for another possible decade? At least for a few years.

Original Predator

"So maybe it's 20 years later, you have retired, and you are the one person who has survived one of these encounters."

I've said this from day one, the Pred story is un-finished and will remain stagnant until they address this HUGE premise.

Dutch Survived the encounter and now we and the Preds are ignoring him.

It's not right.

Rich Green Acid Blood

Quote from: Original Predator on Jun 07, 2011, 12:56:36 PM
"So maybe it's 20 years later, you have retired, and you are the one person who has survived one of these encounters."

I've said this from day one, the Pred story is un-finished and will remain stagnant until they address this HUGE premise.

It's not right.

Someday there will be a Predator 3 starring Dutch. Hollywood loves bringing back old monster horror flicks, and Predator is one of the biggest ones out there. Plus, they'd find a way to get Arnold on board because a new Predator movie with Arnold would make too much money to pass up. It may not happen in the next few years, but eventually Arnold WILL return for a new Predator movie to finish the story arc.

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

To be honest. I am not that kind of a fan that wants a film every 2 or 3 years of one of my favourite movie franchises. E. g. I'm so glad things went so slowly with "The Hobbit" after LOTR, made peter jackson from a producer to a director...

Now with the predator franchise, imo we got a rather decent, maybe even good movie with "Predators" after those 2 abominations crossing the Alien and Predator franchises (which I find great for games, but horrible for movies). So yes, I'm all for a rest, rather than a rushed sequel. I really don't need Arnie in a Pred movie, Brody did a great job as well, so I'd give anybody the chance for the lead role.

However, I do believe it's high time for the next Pred movie in the not so near future to get back to great predator suits like in Predator 1 and 2. Those things looked so real. Even the classic Pred in "Predators" looked so fake unmasked. Come on, somebody has to do the job right, it's one of the important if not THE most import thing in a horror flick. Honestly... although I always hated the idea of CGI Preds... I think it's an option that has to be considered seriously now... and I'm not talking about fake CGI like in deep blue sea, I'm talking about the real deal like WETA would deliver it (I mean their apes for "Rise of the planet of the ape" already look far better than those of that cheap Mark Wahlberg movie)

RakaiThwei

The franchise needs a damn rest, but something more than just "A couple" of years. Seriously, the last three movies came out at an interval of three years.

I'd say maybe another ten or even twenty years would do the franchise some good. Ten being the least.. but then again knowing Hollywood, we're looking at maybe another four. And that damn sure isn't enough time to give it a rest. But hey, like Davis quoted Rothman: "Those Predator movies, they make a lot of money!"

...Yeah, it's all about the money and we're all suckers for it.

Hearing that the franchise is getting a rest, with a potential reboot/remake/sequel... is kind of pleasing and unnerving. Pleasing because it's getting a rest for god knows how long. Unnerving because we don't know what we're gonna get.

-Rakai'Thwei

Original Predator

Quote from: Rich Green Acid Blood on Jun 07, 2011, 01:47:24 PM
Quote from: Original Predator on Jun 07, 2011, 12:56:36 PM

It's not right.

Someday there will be a Predator 3 starring Dutch. Hollywood loves bringing back old monster horror flicks, and Predator is one of the biggest ones out there. Plus, they'd find a way to get Arnold on board because a new Predator movie with Arnold would make too much money to pass up. It may not happen in the next few years, but eventually Arnold WILL return for a new Predator movie to finish the story arc.

I hope so.

The cart got ahead of the horse with this whole franchise.

Instead of making a nice sequence of events in the Pred hunt story line, they went all over the map.  Predators would have been much better with the prior movies tied/wrapped up.

Predators was a decent transitional movie for the franchise, but to me it wasn't as effective because the franchise is not yet ready for a transition.

Watching Predators, in the back of my head I was thinking about Dutch/Harrigan surving prior "hunts" and yet here we are expected to just wipe that from our memory while a new group becomes hunted.

I'm not at the point yet where I can just "forget" about the prior two movies and their importance to the franchise and the development of the coolest Hollywood Monster ever.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Let's see, let's see...

I don't think the franchise needs a 10-20 year rest. It needs good quality product now. If they plan on making another sub-par film akin to the AVP movies then sure, skip it, but i wouldn't want that same sub-par film 10 years down the road either. My fear with putting it off that length of time is you'll be so far removed from the original in terms of time. Of course, with a prequel to Alien and a new Apes film coming out that doesn't seem to be too big an issue. Still, i think the best course of action would be to wait maybe another 2-3 years and release a new film that continues off of and expands upon what was presented to us in Predators. Let's say 2014, which would be nice 4 year break.

Also, i doubt there will ever be another Predator film with Arnold. Despite what he's said about returning to any number of franchises he's been in i don't see it happening. In addition i don't think we need Arnold in another Predator movie. Sure, if they cooked up a good story it'd be nice, really nice, but a good Predator or Predators film can be made without him. As for why the Predators have been leaving him and Danny Glover alone, as someone mentioned, i always thought it was because they proved themselves against the Predators. Beat 'em once and you're set for life. Those story lines are wrapped up.

As for where i'd like to see a new Predator(s) film go i'd pretty watch want it to pick up sometime after Predators. Not so immediately though. Maybe the film opens with Royce and a few new survivors sneaking their way onto a Predator ship thinking they're going home but soon find themselves on the Predator's home world. Once there, maybe they could bump into another action star or two that just happen to be lurking around.

RogueYaujta

Man..this is pretty disappointing.  I was hoping a sequel to PREDATORS would materialize sooner than later. :(

I realize this isn't any sort of confirmation that a sequel won't ever happen, but since the movie was such a success, I figured a sequel was something that would be considered much sooner than later. Maybe he feels the franchise has been a little over saturated, as of late, who knows.

CainsSon

Quote from: Master on Jun 07, 2011, 05:54:47 AM

Maybe you are indifferent to Predator franchise, but not all of us are so please stop posting such shit because someone will hear you by accident and we will have. "Royce the predaturd slayer on predaturds planetz!!!!!!!1111111lolz!!!1!!"

Im not necessarily indifferent I just think they drop the ball by not expanding. The dimensions are whats interesting, the weapons and action are what's cool. They need to add more dimension. PREDATORS tried but it wasn't enough. There was too much attention spent getting it back to what what good about the original and not enough on where it's going.
So with every film, nothing seems to get anywhere.
Also it's really hard to take what you seriously when you write shit like this:  "Royce the predaturd slayer on predaturds planetz!!!!!!!1111111lolz!!!1!!"
But I don't like ROYCE either. It's just where else is there to go from that movie?

Another idea I had was to have the PREDATORS using humans as a form of MARINES against a formidable race (this could have been a good plot for AVP) that they can't seem to beat, maybe some sort of biowarfare gets in the way of their highest trophy kills so they are using humans as a buffer, SORT OF HOW WE USE DOGS TO HELP US HUNT, but then also have some other plot where they intend to hunt them as well.

Spidey3121

I don't think the Predator series has dropped the ball all that much. At least not with the first 2 films, perhaps slightly with the more recent Predators. Predator 2 changed the setting and increased the Predators arsenal of weapons. We also were treated to the interior of the ship and the introduction of their potentially clan based society. This is/was enough for me. And really Aliens didn't do too much more than that. Sure, there were a hell of a lot more of them but that's akin to the Predator's increased weaponry. The Queen was a big reveal, and does perhaps trump everything that Predator 2 had to offer, but it's not all that different from seeing the other members in Pussy Face's clan, even if Danny Glover didn't have to throw down with them.

I agree, Predators didn't do much. It introduced the Berserker and BSP and Falconer but didn't do enough with them to highlight their differences. And yes, setting it on a different planet didn't do much for a change of scenery. As is known though FOX wanted to take the audience back into the jungle, giving the audience what they know and love so to speak. The fact that Predators take humans, and other creatures, from Earth and elsewhere and bring them to game reserves is new though. Maybe not to the comics, or games, but for the movies. The Predator Dogs were a welcomed addition as well.

What did Alien 3 do? It took us back to 1 Alien. Sure, the twist was it burst forth from either a dog or oxen. Of course the primary focus of the films at that point was on Ripley and the company. A reoccurring main character and mysterious and often "evil" company is something that benefited the Alien films, and that the Predator films are lacking. I however don't see the need to a reoccurring main character. As i said, i view Dutch's and Harrigan's stories to be done. As for government involvement Predator 2 did introduce us to O.W.L.F.

Really there isn't that much difference in the amount of new components given to us by either franchise. At least that's how i see it. The key difference is the Alien films follow Ripley, whereas the Predator films only returning star is always the Predator itself. Each film has expanded upon the last, even if minimally. I myself am plenty fine with what we've been given and honestly don't need to be shown, in detail, every component of their society.

DoomRulz

If they had kept the story simple with a Predator 3, things would have turned out for the better I think. I still think that a desert warfare setting would have been ideal, considering it's another hotspot for the Predator to visit. Dutch could be written into the storyline easily. Let's say it's in Iraq, Dutch is a CO or something, Pred gets involved, Dutch has to go fight again.

dallas001

Well my message for Mr. Davis is to not let it rest too long. Thats what happened with the Alien franchise before ALIEN 3, and then they made a horrible film and choices when trying to make a sequel to 2 great films. Predator 2 is actually more acceptable to me than the AVP films. Keep the fanboy directors away, and keep experienced and good film makers in the loop for making these films. I do hope that there is a sequel to PREDATORS. it may have not been perfect, but I really enjoyed fox separating it from the ALIEN franchise and going in the CORRECT direction. It seems in the 90's the studio couldn't get it right with either franchise. The good ideas that have come up in recent years were actually there in the 90's. But stupidity and creative indifference prevailed for too long. Thank god some right decision making has come back.

Master

You want something to bind franchise together? Be my guest. Set it on the deser where Pred is obviously killing and then send Garber`s team there to investigate. They are aware what`s going on. They are prepared  and they can give biger insight to creature, as they are obviously studying it for long time. Prefect predator sequel, right here.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed