The Basilisk: aka Jurassic Park fanfilm aka Raptors in America

Started by Bat Chain Puller, May 19, 2011, 06:09:30 PM

Author
The Basilisk: aka Jurassic Park fanfilm aka Raptors in America (Read 17,018 times)

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

In 1992 I made a horrible feature length ALIEN fan film. It was a deceit 'attempt' for a young teenager in the early, pre-digital-editing-software era of the early 90's.

My second full length feature was to be 'more original' so I wrote a classic monster on the loose story with a healthy dose of message and metaphor in addition to upping the energy, spirit, and pacing.

While my writing and film-making improved (albeit slightly) I was missing my monster. It was now the summer of 1993 and Jurassic Fever was gripping our world. The monster became for all intents and purposes "A Raptor" for lack of anything else decent and available to a budding teenage filmmaker. More and more of Jurassic Park's DNA began infecting my once original script. In the end, some music ques and sound effects sealed the deal. This is a Jurassic Park spin off. Raptors in America.

The film was abandoned before it was finished in the summer of 1994 (Life Intervened) but I picked up the baton again nearly ten years later and finished it despite missing a few scenes. I shot a couple new scenes (to bridge the unavoidable gaps) and added additional music and sound effects.

So here it is. The Basilisk: Episode 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHTjjjBdbZQ#

Below each Episode I'll post behind the scene information within a Spoilers Post for young filmmakers or anyone simply wanting to know more about what they just saw.

Spoiler
The opening title sequence originally had the famous Jurassic Park Theme but I changed it because in the end it just sounded too heroic. I wanted something darker and foreboding. Shrewd ears will pick up a few notes from Predators (added only recently) that I felt punctuated where this film was going to go.

The deforestation sequence used no stock photography. It was all me, trespassing and getting in the way of dump-trucks trying to get my shots. No one cared. Construction workers are the most laid back folks ever.

The blood splash on the ground after the second kill is my first 'digital effect' added within this last year. Oh my god I've become George Lucas. Demand that I release my original film without the tweaks and I'll say it's too much effort and will ignore you. (Like George did.)

Yes, the intro to Virginia Beach (Hampton Roads Area) was shot from a helicopter. I was in television production class at the time and had connections so I used them!

The song "No Rain" by Blind Melon is used for symbolism. Things were dark and rainy before, but our main characters are seemingly so far removed from that danger. But you know the rain will come again, and does. Where he sings "Essscaape, Essscaaape." Well ... yeah, the Raptor is about to be free. Heavy handed I know.

The dock workers at the ship yard that taught the captive beast are basically reenacting a deleted scene from Alien 3. I stole the dialogue whole sale. I needed blue collar small talk, didn't know how to write it, loved that scene in the Alien 3 script and decided to film it. (It was neat finally seeing it preformed by real actors in the Alien 3 work print)
[close]

scarhunter92

I enjoyed the hell out of this.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

The Basilisk: Episode 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqqiyt8zJiM#

Spoiler
Shot the conversation between the mercenary and the government agent behind a food lion. What can I say, trespassing on a construction site is one thing. Trespassing on a military base is another. (Even in Pre-911 America)

That is my second attempt at digital gore when the mercenary is attacked.

That's a Kenner toys Alien Queen Shane is messing with. "What the hell is this thing?" was the actor quoting himself from my Alien fan film when he found the deceased facehugger.

More foreshadowing with the "Killing for a Living" commercial.

The news cast gives us our first idea of the "Police Strike" aka ... a plot device that will logically explain why police officers don't show up with the bodies start piling up.
[close]

Sharp Sticks

Jesus Christ dude. I'm loving this, definitely one of the best fan films I've ever seen. The flaws are just as obvious as the passion and attention to detail, and the action sequences are electrifying. A hell of a lot more appealing than most low-budget monster movies I've seen!  :laugh:

Can't wait to see more of your tears/sweat/digital blood - and your commentary makes each installment twice as interesting. As intriguing as it is inspiring.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Wow Sticks thanks! I'm glad you appreciate it, warts and all. I seriously wish there were more positive individuals around me back when I was doing it! The trailer for it won a regional film contest ... which led to a gig at a public broadcasting station where I promptly learned the cruel, uncompromising, two faced nature of people. Left a horrible taste and I ran for the hills and into further obscurity.

More Basilisk.

Episode 3. Morales for this episode: Don't hitchhike after dark or climb in trees while in Raptor Country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-OGsMs9S1U#

Spoiler
Originally the sounds of the beast during the hitchiker scene were all humpback whale. I replaced some of the more obvious 'hey I'm a whale' sounds with elephants, wild pig, and combinations of the two. There is a Raptor/Rex roar when he de-shoes his victim.

Got a lot of flack from friends and family members for having 'suggest' these two teenagers spent the night together and had sex. Didn't hear a word about killing the kid. Welcome to the Bible Belt ya'll. (They were dating in real life and f**king like rabbits so I was really diluting reality.) They're married now and have two kids. (The product of f**king.)

I was getting really carried away with the sweeping, one shot camera moves when Mike and Karen leave for work. It was originally supposed to incorporate the entire 'kid conversation' too ... but we didn't have that much money for gas to waste.

The little kid (Zach)  in the purple batman shirt is one of my best friend's little brothers. He was a chubby 'indoor' kid who couldn't climb a tree to save his life. We had to hoist him up there and edit very carefully to build this illusion.

If your wondering ... "Why the f**k did that kid put on glasses behind the garbage can before he climbed the tree?" The answer is simple. I was trying to cover a continuity mistake AFTER the fact. We shot the glasses falling out of the tree with the blood (practical effect this time) before the scene with all the neighborhood kids.

Zach (the little kid) scored a part later in the film when I was shooting bridge shots to tie elements together in 2005. He was all grown up, but his luck was no better in dealing with hungry dinosaurs.

That's Pantera's 'Use My Third Arm' from the Far Beyond Driven album playing during Ingram's intro.

In my opinion, the worst scene of the film is when Ingram (the wayward brother) comes home and interacts with his old friends in the house. I was grounded at the time (from using my camcorder) and had to use someone Else's (the show must go on!) but it had a shitty built in mic. The sound was shit. Never was able to fix it properly.

You can really see the shitty chemistry between the actors that played Shane and Debbie. He liked her, she thought he was annoying. So I expertly cast them as teen lovers. Casting Fail. And it comes back to haunt me time and time again.
[close]

Requiem28

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on May 19, 2011, 06:09:30 PM
In 1992 I made a horrible feature length ALIEN fan film. It was a deceit 'attempt' for a young teenager in the early, pre-digital-editing-software era of the early 90's.

My second full length feature was to be 'more original' so I wrote a classic monster on the loose story with a healthy dose of message and metaphor in addition to upping the energy, spirit, and pacing.

While my writing and film-making improved (albeit slightly) I was missing my monster. It was now the summer of 1993 and Jurassic Fever was gripping our world. The monster became for all intents and purposes "A Raptor" for lack of anything else decent and available to a budding teenage filmmaker. More and more of Jurassic Park's DNA began infecting my once original script. In the end, some music ques and sound effects sealed the deal. This is a Jurassic Park spin off. Raptors in America.

The film was abandoned before it was finished in the summer of 1994 (Life Intervened) but I picked up the baton again nearly ten years later and finished it despite missing a few scenes. I shot a couple new scenes (to bridge the unavoidable gaps) and added additional music and sound effects.

So here it is. The Basilisk: Episode 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHTjjjBdbZQ#

Below each Episode I'll post behind the scene information within a Spoilers Post for young filmmakers or anyone simply wanting to know more about what they just saw.

Spoiler
The opening title sequence originally had the famous Jurassic Park Theme but I changed it because in the end it just sounded too heroic. I wanted something darker and foreboding. Shrewd ears will pick up a few notes from Predators (added only recently) that I felt punctuated where this film was going to go.

The deforestation sequence used no stock photography. It was all me, trespassing and getting in the way of dump-trucks trying to get my shots. No one cared. Construction workers are the most laid back folks ever.

The blood splash on the ground after the second kill is my first 'digital effect' added within this last year. Oh my god I've become George Lucas. Demand that I release my original film without the tweaks and I'll say it's too much effort and will ignore you. (Like George did.)

Yes, the intro to Virginia Beach (Hampton Roads Area) was shot from a helicopter. I was in television production class at the time and had connections so I used them!

The song "No Rain" by Blind Melon is used for symbolism. Things were dark and rainy before, but our main characters are seemingly so far removed from that danger. But you know the rain will come again, and does. Where he sings "Essscaape, Essscaaape." Well ... yeah, the Raptor is about to be free. Heavy handed I know.

The dock workers at the ship yard that taught the captive beast are basically reenacting a deleted scene from Alien 3. I stole the dialogue whole sale. I needed blue collar small talk, didn't know how to write it, loved that scene in the Alien 3 script and decided to film it. (It was neat finally seeing it preformed by real actors in the Alien 3 work print)
[close]

SO DAMN 90'S!!!!!

I LOVE IT!

Space Sweeper

I love it. I really love it. The passion and loving direction put into this is absolutely fantastic. I'm now eagerly awaiting each part of the film as you release them. The actress for Karen is great as well, props to her. As Sticks said, this really is inspiring.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

We aren't even to the good stuff yet! Sweeps, if you like it so far you won't be disappointed as we get into the monster action. Which we're about to get into the next clip ... the beasts big reveal. (No it's not a tiger!)

The Basilisk: Episode 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_8hJe59cTA#

Behind the scenes stuff below.

Spoiler
The back story of Mike and Ingram's shared delinquent past, and Karen being the conduit to Mike's redemption, and Ingram's destiny to 'stay on his troubled path' was all an attempt to breath some humanity into these characters and to keep people guessing who was going to be the 'hero.' I was deliberately building up Ingram to be this James Dean like character, that you'd feel was going to turn things around and be the hero of the day.

The car washing scene: More on Ingram's past and how Debbie and Shane ended up together ... again leaving Ingram as the outsider. The song 'Black Hole Sun' by Soundgarden was HUGE during that time so I included it to give a feeling of when this was. Originally Stone Temple Pilot's "Dead and Bloated" was going to be here as a bit of foreshadowing. I went with Soundgarden over all because of the 'Take away the Rain' and the 'times are gone for honest men, and far to gone for snakes' lyrics.

The lizard in the terrarium belonged to the actress who played Debbie and his name was Boner. Of course his inclusion was foreshadowing. Especially with the lines spoken by Debbie's sister.

We called the actress who played Debbie's sister, Angela ... Winnie. As in Winnie Cooper from the Wonder Years. She had a terrible lisp, but a kick ass smokin' body. I don't know what I was thinking putting her in a big long sleeved flannel the rest of the movie. Probably one of my biggest missteps.

The rain is back. It can only mean the danger has arrived at the front door of our main characters.

Anthony Hopkins narration of the wildlife program was more metaphor and foreshadowing. Humans are about to be replaced as the supreme hunter, and top predator of the food chain.

You might notice a lot of Debbie changing shirts. Sometimes even on camera. Again, we're always chasing our tails with this continuity shit.

Our first deleted scene goes in (or should I say 'comes out') when Ingram comes back into the room, only to find Debbie, waiting for him with a seductive little smile. They have this little moment where their hands reach for each other ... it was so gay ... then ... out of no where, Debbie takes her shirt off and tosses it playfully on Ingram's head. It is only right before they are about to have sex, that Debbie sees the creature in the window and throws her shirt back on. Raptors are a huge buzz kill. I deleted this scene because it sucked, made Debbie seem like a wretched whore, and featured underage nipple slip. I wasn't going to jail over that gay scene because of a 16 year old's areola.

We shot the Ingram in the rain on two separate nights. Once with real rain, and once with a garden hose and blinking drop lights for lighting.

When Debbie see's the beast, we shot the mask in the downstairs window. Someone was standing just off camera holding a bed sheet up next to the glass that matched the upstairs curtains.

When Debbie steps back, she had to do so with a sprained ankle. (Which she suffered the day before ... and had nothing to do with me and my crazy movie) You can actually see her limping backwards and almost falls on top of me.
[close]

Sharp Sticks

Cool that you got Anthony Hopkins to make a cameo, he must be cheaper than I thought. Laughed like a fool when dude pulled his gun out, though that may just be my Canadianess.

As for the reveal: about twenty times more intense than anything in JP3. I always get a buzz out of the scenes where an object slides away or part of a body gets dragged out of frame so that the rest gets left to your imagination. The sounds make it work - very Spielberg. Lovin' it.

Bat Chain Puller

He was making movies like The Edge and Congo back then so this was a part of that phase for him. If his agent finds this video we'll see how cheap he is.

Pulling guns out is what Americans are best at. Especially in the South. Nowadays though they are held sideways and referred to as gats. Maybe another digital change in the works. When he pulled the piece it was supposed to be an homage to Indiana Jones ... when Marcus Brody is all worried for Indy, and Indy is all like "Marcus you're starting to sound like my mother ... besides you know what a cautious guy I am." Maybe should have had a jump cut to him wearing the hat.

If you liked that reveal, your going to love the full body reveal. It actually made a girl piss her pants. And not out of fear, mind you.

Youtube takes forever to upload. Unless it's my connection. Needless to say there will be (many) more than 9 episodes. I'm having to break them up into different lengths to keep from breaking momentum and pacing too much. I just hope I can get them up before they wear out their welcome with you fine folks. 

scarhunter92

Damn, this is awesome old-school fun.

Bat Chain Puller

The Basilisk: Episode 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zqkZbbOzUc#
Spoiler

I wanted one of the characters to crack mentally because of the sheer craziness of what was happening. I feel there isn't enough of that in these types of movies. I wanted to show someone go from business as usual to clinging to sanity by a thread. Debbie is our character for that from this point on. 

You aren't seeing things. Shane is missing an ear.

When Debbie is asked to describe what she saw ... it's hilarious now because we all want her to say "It looked like a f**kin dinosaur!" But all she could come up with in her fragile state were a few vague adjectives before weakly and matter of factly landing on 'a dragon.' It's something I refer to as The Golic Syndrome.

When Angela leads Debbie off the couch to get some rest check out that movie magic in her right hand!

I wanted the introduction to the Bounty Hunters to begin with a sense of mystery and danger.  I liked the idea of them being disembodied flash lights at first ... just these ghost lanterns in the aftermath of this crazy shit that just went down. Shane, full of anger, fearing the unknown, goes out there and pulls them into reality.

The Hunters themselves would have obviously benefited from being played by actors much older than the principle actors ... but I couldn't find anyone in the 30 to 55 age group that I could get to commit to such a long shoot. The actors ended up being younger than the principle characters. I can't explain this. Maybe Predxeno can help.

The Leader of the Hunters, Maurice Steele, is decked out with some pretty savage looking scarring makeup on the left side of his face. Continuity be damned ... those scars do a lot of subtle and not so subtle moving around during the course of the film.
[close]

That last episode was short, so...

The Basilisk: Episode 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKWTcZnQr-Q#

Spoiler
Ah the expounding scene. Here the Hunters explain what is going on ... again, for some reason always avoiding the best description. "It's a f**king dinosaur!!"

Count how many times Steele sits forward, and then sits back during the course of this scene. Make it into a drinking game. By the time the scene ends you'll need a designated driver.

Several lines were never shot in this scene. You'll notice a couple of times characters responding to questions that they seem to have heard telepathically. They are that good, I tell ya.

This scene with everyone in one room was probably the hardest to put together. Everyone's close shots were done on separate days and with an ever changing script, we had to go back sometimes months later and reshoot a line or two.

We originally had another actor playing Steele, but after shooting his lines for this scene, (and another) he was arrested for shooting passing cars on the interstate with a BB gun. So we got the guy you see hamming it up on screen. He was like a mini William Shatner. An extremely gifted over actor who took himself SO seriously. He plays it close to parody. Because he ignores the fact that he's 16 with such verve, we almost can too.

The score here is from Jaws ... the tale of the USS Indianapolis scene. I wanted to channel Quint into Steele, and a little Ahab for good measure.

The sunrise shots are the first of the 'newly shot' footage to bridge scenes together. Oddly enough it's footage from a trip to the upper peninsula of Michigan.
There was a series of deleted scenes that take place between the introduction to the hunters and the discovery of the creature's territory. A horrible bed room scene with Mike and Karen discussing Shane wanting to go with the hunters as if they are his concerned parents. A first hunt scene, where they go out, and ultimately don't locate the beast (but find a wrecked campsite with ripped up tents and blood everywhere.) Another scene with Mike and Karen where he picks her up from work and drives her home, only to accidentally hit the creature with his car. He watches it run to a particular forest, then promptly calls Steele from a payphone (remember those?) and tells him they've been looking in the wrong place.

It was like an extra 15 minutes or so that just killed the pacing. So it went.

Now we just cut straight to the second hunt (now the only hunt) while still retaining a scene of dialogue between Mike and Debbie. The price I pay is Debbie is dressed differently, and somehow we're to believe Karen and Shane are sitting silently in the backseat.
[close]

Bat Chain Puller

The Basilisk: Episode 7

This is where the fun begins. Raptor Hunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL11EnLeHKk#

Spoiler
The blood they find on the outskirts of the forest was originally supposed to be that of the creatures from the car crash (deleted scene) But now we are supposed to believe it's a blood trail from a recent victim.

Shane and Debbie's awkward kissing scene. Like I said ... the actor had a huge crush on her, and the feelings were NOT reciprocated. The kiss (or face-butt as we called it) just drives home that fact.

On the day we shot Grissom's death scene (and yes he was named after Jack Palance's character in Tim Burton's BATMAN.) The cops showed up. There we are out in the woods standing over a bloody dead body with guns. I had to quickly bring my camera, the rubber dinosaur head, and the script to convince the officers that we were actually making a movie.

More digital blood splatter. Over the top.

What happens to Shane's gun??

When the creature busts it's head through the glass window of Mike's car, it's really quick cuts of a sheet of ice being held up by the open window and smashed by the rubber head. It's all in the editing and sound effects.

When Shane checks on Debbie in the Van ... look who has returned from the grave.

[close]

Requiem28

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on May 20, 2011, 07:04:34 PM
The Basilisk: Episode 7

This is where the fun begins. Raptor Hunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL11EnLeHKk#

Spoiler
The blood they find on the outskirts of the forest was originally supposed to be that of the creatures from the car crash (deleted scene) But now we are supposed to believe it's a blood trail from a recent victim.

Shane and Debbie's awkward kissing scene. Like I said ... the actor had a huge crush on her, and the feelings were NOT reciprocated. The kiss (or face-butt as we called it) just drives home that fact.

On the day we shot Grissom's death scene (and yes he was named after Jack Palance's character in Tim Burton's BATMAN.) The cops showed up. There we are out in the woods standing over a bloody dead body with guns. I had to quickly bring my camera, the rubber dinosaur head, and the script to convince the officers that we were actually making a movie.

More digital blood splatter. Over the top.

What happens to Shane's gun??

When the creature busts it's head through the glass window of Mike's car, it's really quick cuts of a sheet of ice being held up by the open window and smashed by the rubber head. It's all in the editing and sound effects.

When Shane checks on Debbie in the Van ... look who has returned from the grave.

[close]

bravo sir!

Bat Chain Puller

Thanks Requiem!

The Basilisk: Episode 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiOpUaahdv4#

Spoiler
On the day we shot the dinosaur head peeking out of the foliage, I was still numb from having my wisdom teeth extracted. So the puppeteers had a tough time understanding my direction.

The radio sounds in the van are comprised of elements including samples of communication chatter from the original Alien. I pitched them high and low and reversed them to avoid having them sound fresh from LV4-26.

We had one walkie-talkie an it was broken. Anytime you see a walkie-talkie on screen it's the same one, over and over. The battery compartment had missing panel, and I was always telling the actors to hold it on such a way that it wouldn't be noticeable.

Karen says she was on the track team her senior year and that she is the fastest of the four of them, but in reality, the actress was the least athletic and ran like a duck.

Each time the rifle fires, notice the spent shell ejecting. It's a digital effect added somewhat recently.

The van belonged to the actor who played Grissom (the doomed white flannel wearing hunter) who was killed off early. But the poor guy had to show up because his van had a bigger part than he did. It eventually became a problem when it was decided that the van was to be sold, so we had to quickly grab all of our pick up shots that involved it before it was gone forever.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed