The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 449,657 times)

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 16, 2019, 03:08:20 PM
Dude what? I literally answered that right in the beginning.

Ahh, Okay thanks for clarification. So ....
Spoiler
your perception why most people saw it coming, that is Dany becoming a mad queen, is
[close]
because .....

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 16, 2019, 07:39:43 AM
Spoiler
There were some seeds planted here and there.
[close]

Is the above correct?

Spoiler
And what in-film story examples you see as the seeds planted that led most people to believe Dany was heading towards mad queen?
[close]

Was the following sentences in the same paragraph your examples?..........
Quote from: The Kurgan on May 16, 2019, 07:39:43 AM
Spoiler
She always was unforgiving,resolute and brutal in what she saw as justice and with Barristan warning her that her father "gave his enemies the justice he thought they deserved, and each time, it made him feel powerful and right, until the very end." there was foreshadowing for her to go down the same path as Aerys.
And her whole the throne is mine by birthright\destiny mindset could easily led to disaster.
[close]

Vertigo

Vertigo

Still talking about S8E5. And probably will be for the rest of this thread.

The showrunners probably just watched season 2 of Westworld and lifted my least favourite element, turning the heroine into the main villain at the flip of a switch.

Regardless of whether or not it was seeded or foreshadowed, for me it boils down to this...

Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Vertigo on May 16, 2019, 04:23:42 PM

The showrunners probably just watched season 2 of Westworld and lifted my least favourite element, turning the heroine into the main villain at the flip of a switch.

Regardless of whether or not it was seeded or foreshadowed, for me it boils down to this...

Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Not likely lol.
GOT season 8 was scripted in 2016/2017 and pretty much finished shooting, before Westworld season 2 was aired in mid 2018.

Even with its less than stellar conclusion, Game Of Thrones still stands as the best tv-series produced in this decade. It's better cast than anything Marvel, DC and Lucasfilm has been throwing into the movie theaters.

So, people can complain all day long on social media and youtube about how Benioff and Weiss have destroyed the show and made it unwatchable. Or.. you can chill the f off and remember all the great episodes they gave us, pour yourself some wine and listen to Ramin Djawadi's amazing score in your headphones.  8)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Eva on May 16, 2019, 05:10:01 PM

Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Not likely lol.
GOT season 8 was scripted in 2016/2017 and pretty much finished shooting, before Westworld season 2 was aired in mid 2018.

I may not have been entirely serious :P

The Old One

The Old One

Lol, a serious waste of a mostly fantastic series.

Voodoo Magic

Even with its less than stellar conclusion, Game Of Thrones still stands as the best tv-series produced in this decade.

Hmm. Interesting question. Best tv series?

What are the great shows that have been out in my opinion. Breaking Bad. Better Call Saul. House of Cards. Mad Men. Stranger Things. The Haunting of Hill House. Daredevil. True Detective. House of Cards. Sneaky Pete. Bosch. Glow. Off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm not mentioning a ton.

I'd immediately put Breaking Bad over GoT. That ended well. See this is going to be the problem with Game of Thrones, like House of Cards, the end is not going to justify the journey. Ending strong is so important.

QuoteSo, people can complain all day long on social media and youtube about how Benioff and Weiss have destroyed the show and made it unwatchable. Or.. you can chill the f off and remember all the great episodes they gave us, pour yourself some wine and listen to Ramin Djawadi's amazing score in your headphones.  8)

Sooo... chill out and don't think about how bad it ends? :P

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Eva on May 16, 2019, 05:10:01 PMIt's better cast than anything Marvel...

Nah.

Marvel Studios have employed some of the very best people in the business over the last decade, and turned  a lot of relatively unknowns into superstars. I guess the same can be said for Game of Thrones, but I feel like a lot of the people who went into the show as unknowns are going to struggle a bit once it's done.

The Old One

The Old One

NBC's Hannibal Series, Daredevil & Jessica Jones (S1), True Detective (S1), This is England, Black Mirror and Breaking Bad.

All superior now, GoT would've been top dog if it ended properly.

Local Trouble

What was the proper ending for GoT?

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 16, 2019, 01:38:56 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on May 16, 2019, 01:22:59 PM
Maybe we should skip our seed analogies. they seem to end up more confusing than useful in the end.

Spoiler
Fair enough, we could always use Voodoo's alphabet letter steps or as I just recently called them, indicators. Point is, what indicator(?) element(?) tidbit(?) led most people to believe, including you, as you stated earlier, that Dany was to become a mad Targaryren, before episode 5 even existed. This is the second time I've asked you now and I'm sensing you don't want to answer, so I won't keep asking to maintain harmony.
[close]

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 16, 2019, 12:46:47 PM
Most people didn't see it coming, most people assumed it would happen based on who her father was. 

Spoiler
That's new. Well now we're finally getting somewhere. So I want to make sure I'm clear on this. Never mind that multiple members here have acknowledged they believed Dany would become a mad Targaryren. Never mind the countless blogs listing out the signs they saw she was heading towards madsville. Never mind tens of thousands posters in forums like here and movieforums.com declaring they saw it coming along with posting in-film story examples. Your perception is the millions of viewers, and/or most people, just assumed she would become a mad Targaryen based on her heritage. Is that right?
[close]

Spoiler
Yes and no.  There weren't any real concrete signs that she would, there were subtle hints, but not signs, not any red flags.  She made mistakes, she didn't intentionally murder people for no reason, nor did she enjoy it.  And, the fact that her greatest fear is becoming her father and it is literally in lines of dialogue throughout the show leads people to make that connection.  Don't forget the millions of blogs and youtube videos that talk about littlefinger still being alive, or bran actually being the night king fans can speculate.  My issue isn't that Dany turned mad, my issue is how the show handled her turning mad.  It wasn't built up, it wasn't foreshadowed, a lot of posts pointing these signs out are just trying to make excuses for her sudden change in character mere moments after she won the iron throne.  That's my issue, how they handled it.  They murdered her character within the space of fifteen seconds, when they should have built it up properly over three seasons.

If you go back a little further, I wrote a piece about how I would have written her descent into madness
[close]

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 16, 2019, 05:52:44 PM
What was the proper ending for GoT?

Jon Snow uses the Infinity Stones to destroy the Death Star and unite the people of Greyskull

The Old One

The Old One

A well-written and thematically congruent final Season.

Game of Thrones Brotherhood when?

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 16, 2019, 05:52:44 PMWhat was the proper ending for GoT?

The Three Eyed Raven was the villain all along. ;)

LastSonofKrypton

Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Not likely lol.

Even with its less than stellar conclusion, Game Of Thrones still stands as the best tv-series produced in this decade. It's better cast than anything Marvel, DC and Lucasfilm has been throwing into the movie theaters.

So, people can complain all day long on social media and youtube about how Benioff and Weiss have destroyed the show and made it unwatchable. Or.. you can chill the f off and remember all the great episodes they gave us, pour yourself some wine and listen to Ramin Djawadi's amazing score in your headphones.  8)

Game of Thrones is an exquisite three course meal ruined by finding pieces of broken glass in the dessert

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Old One on May 16, 2019, 05:54:35 PM
A well-written and thematically congruent final Season.

More Chris Avellone-y?

Shasvre

Shasvre

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed