The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 460,724 times)

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Aug 18, 2017, 05:32:09 PM
I never watch or read the series, but I do wonder why it took so long for the books to be adapted? The first book came out in 1996 and took 15 years for it happen. Imagine they adapted the first book into a movie back in the early 2000's during the Lord of the Rings movie hype. Could it have work back in 2002 or 2003?
Back then TV wasn't given much trust; recent developments by the beginnings of the 2010s have raised the quality of TV series a lot.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Also the fact that at that point less than half of the books in the series had been released.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: Magegg on Aug 19, 2017, 05:16:32 PM
Back then TV wasn't given much trust; recent developments by the beginnings of the 2010s have raised the quality of TV series a lot.

What about on the big screen? I wonder why they didn't try to adapt the books into movies in the early-mid 2000's.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Probably because the books are massive and have a lot of shit going on in them. And keep in mind, in the early-mid 2000s, only three of the books were out. The fourth was what, 2006? I can't recall. And they're still not over with, believe or not.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Aug 19, 2017, 09:04:35 PM

What about on the big screen? I wonder why they didn't try to adapt the books into movies in the early-mid 2000's.
Almost no one wanted to adapt big fantasy epic books to big screen because they would be unfavorably compared to Lord of the Rings. Movies like Eragon or Dark is Rising were huge flops.

As for the plot, it wasn't probably "spectacular" enough to be adapted to cinema. Most of the attractive of the books was the intrigue aspect, as well as all the mature content that would have restricted the audience and thus the profits.

And Martin's opinion on the case:
QuoteBefore being approached by Benioff and Weiss, Martin had had other meetings with other scriptwriters, most of them wanting to turn it into a feature film. Martin however deemed it "unfilmable" and impossible to be done as a feature film, stating that the size of one of his novels is as long as The Lord of the Rings, which had been adapted as three feature films.[40] Similarly, Benioff also said that it would be impossible to turn the novels into a feature film as the scale of the novels is too big for a feature film and dozen of characters would have to be discarded. Benioff added, "a fantasy movie of this scope, financed by a major studio, would almost certainly need a PG-13 rating. That means no sex, no blood, no profanity. f**k that."[13] Martin himself was pleased with the suggestion that they adapt it as an HBO series, saying that he "never imagined it anywhere else".[41] "I knew it couldn't be done as a network television series. It's too adult. The level of sex and violence would never have gone through."[40]

x-M-x

x-M-x

Just finished watching Episode 7.

dat ending  :o

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: x-M-x on Aug 28, 2017, 02:32:52 AM
Just finished watching Episode 7.

dat ending  :o

It's what we've all been waiting for ever since the first scene in this series.

oduodu

oduodu

One big revelation

Unexpected

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Aug 19, 2017, 09:04:35 PM

According to interviews I read some time ago, many people actually wanted to. Due to the sheer scale of the story, George R. R. Martin refused to adapt it into a 2 hour film. It took a lot of convincing to even get him to eventually agree to adapting it into a TV series.

Alionic

Alionic

So I guess Winterfell
Spoiler
is f**ked in season 8's premiere episode?
[close]
:laugh:

Vertigo

Vertigo

Season 8
Probably not. Winterfell is looking to be the key defensive point, Daenerys and Jon are heading there. Its walls are pretty epic, too, surprise giant assault vs handful of Bolton troops notwithstanding.

What it really boils down to is that the Night King's goal is still fairly mysterious. If "kill all humans" was always the only mission, why now? What's changed?

With that in mind, we can't really know where they're going to go. Winterfell is a long way west of where they've broken through, so if they're just going directly south, they'll bypass it entirely. Maybe King's Landing is their priority, to immediately knock the fight out of the Seven Kingdoms. Maybe they'll avoid strongholds and just sweep through fields and towns, destroying poorly defended food supplies and expanding their army. Maybe, as some people have suggested, their actual goal is to reach the Isle of Faces near Harrenhal, where there may be the last group of Children of the Forest.

Personally I'm just expecting that they'll sweep along the Wall and wipe out the Night's Watch - it'd be an impactful way to start the season, kill off some long-time minor characters, and release Sam Tarly from his vows. I'd expect Tormund and Beric to get away though, initially at least.
[close]

oduodu

oduodu

How far is that from winterfell? And what was that place's name? Or former place.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Damn it feels good to see
Spoiler
Littlefinger pee his pants begging and getting his throat slashed ! f**k him, this was sooo good !
[close]

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: oduodu on Aug 28, 2017, 11:56:12 PM
How far is that from winterfell? And what was that place's name? Or former place.

Eastwatch.

Distances are a bit sketchy in GoT, there are maps but George RR Martin has avoided using exact scales to avoid hyper-nerd nitpicking. Winterfell's around 600-700 miles, directly southwest.

A map, for reference (all of this stuff is near the top).

oduodu

oduodu

Ah thanks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed