More plot details.

Started by Shasvre, Feb 24, 2011, 07:46:27 PM

Author
More plot details. (Read 34,319 times)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

What false symbolism?

Alien was rife with imagery both sexual and otherworldly. It's perfectly reasonable to say that it was multifaceted and had depth. 'Cause that's true.

Predator doesn't really match up on those grounds. It does have symbolism and depth, but not to the degree that Alien does. But it was never designed to be that way. Predator was meant to start as a schlocky 80s action flick and end up as a horror story. It did that and did it well, no doubt.

Alien, in the same way, was designed to hit you right in the nads of your subconscious. It did that and did that well, which entailed greater depth and symbolism. That doesn't make Predator bad, or even objectively worse. It does make it significantly different, though. Different enough that, upon reflection, paring the Alien and the Predator seems to be really f**king bizarre.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Predator is simply to macho for the more subdued and believable Alien universe.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: MadassAlex on Mar 02, 2011, 09:28:45 PMDifferent enough that, upon reflection, paring the Alien and the Predator seems to be really f**king bizarre.

Citizen Kane vs. Rambo:D

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Sounds awesome to me, but, I hope that this doesn't lead to a huge plothole. If humans terraformed a planet, in order for a bioweapon to be developed, and that bioweapon turns out to be the Xenomorph, then, it'll make you wonder why everybody was so "unfamilar" with it the previous films. Not that they can't work around that, and make it work well -- but then it'd just feel like they were just making something random up to connect the dots (like the completely random "Have the protocol droid mind erased" in Star Wars Episode III). Hopefully Damon Lindelof has avoided any plotholes when writing the screenplay. Being a huge fan of his, I think I'll keep my trust in him.

Mus

Mus

Well hey, it's not like all Coca Cola employees know the secret recipe. Also, if I was some military type leader who manages to let loose a disease I've been working on, I'd deny everything and just try to contain it.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

If I had to guess I'd say it was the jockey's trying to terraform, and the aliens they used to achieve such an end turned on them.  Then the human crew sets down, investigates jockey ruins, understands how to terraform, then gets attacked by the prealien.

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 05, 2011, 03:13:14 AM
If I had to guess I'd say it was the jockey's trying to terraform, and the aliens they used to achieve such an end turned on them.  Then the human crew sets down, investigates jockey ruins, understands how to terraform, then gets attacked by the prealien.

I think you're right on the money here.

I'm interested in the "grand mythology and universe" quote. As a huge fan of both "mythology" and "universe" I think these two go hand-in-hand. It'll be interesting to see where Ridley goes with that.

Investigating the Jockey ruins sounds like it could be an incredible part of the film, if you're right. I can't wait for this film to start shooting, and we get some set photos.

Darkoo

Darkoo

Quotea few tidbits have leaked, namely that the plot centers on the flight crew of the "Prometheus," a massive spaceship commissioned by one of the remaining superpowers on Earth.  That group includes Girl with the Dragon Tattoo star Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, Charlize Theron as Vickers, and Michael Fassbender as (potentially) an android named David.

Their mission is to venture to the planet of Erix and prepare natural resources through a process called "terraforming," which makes the surface livable for humans.  There, the crew encounters the xenomorphs, the alien creatures that have become iconic throughout the four installments of the franchise.
http://www.newsinfilm.com/2011/03/07/cast-updates-on-ridley-scotts-prometheus/

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's the Shadow 19 synopsis again.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Pretty much the same, except nobody was sent with the ship to Erix in Shadow 19.  Perhaps it has been modified into an Alien script?  Keeps getting mentioned.  Shadow 19 was also optioned off to one of the studio's before the Harvest script was leaked.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 05, 2011, 03:13:14 AM
then gets attacked by the prealien.

I suppose I've been calling it the Prequalien. This kind of a naming is terrible I admit, but I suppose I've been using the predalien term since AVP:R

midget

midget

like this big?

Mus

Mus

Well I mean, that whole thing's pretty ridiculous, but that tail, what the hell is up with it. It has to weigh more than the body.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

that's how 'Gators work.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

A croc's tail is powerful enough for it to push its entire upper and lower body out of the water.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed