Will Prometheus steal fire from the Gods?!

Started by 180924609, Jan 16, 2011, 07:05:47 PM

Author
Will Prometheus steal fire from the Gods?! (Read 1,366 times)

After my initial disappointment, my view on all of this is YES YES YES!

At least Ridley isnt trying to film his own Phantom Menace!

The very thought of a high quality deep space science-fiction adventure from Ridley Scott that has a loose connection to the Alien universe is PURE GOLD. I seriously doubt that the dis-connection from 'Alien' is 100% - and that is enough for me to get excited about. Nobody wants an 'Alien Explained' movie but we would all love to see that universe again. That is exactly why I feel that the recent Hollywood prequel trend is so awful. George Lucas should be congratulated for showing the world that you should never attempt to retcon hallowed ground.

I strongly suspect that Ridley has benefitted from the lessons learned from recent Hollywood disasters and is attempting to take the notion of a 'prequel' in a new and more appropriate direction. Where the so called Gods of Hollywood have previously failed, please GOD let Ridley succeed...

predxeno

If you're asking whether plot will have people "steal fire from the Gods", then I theorize that the plot will have humans come in contact with Alien technology:

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 16, 2011, 04:44:06 AM
I'll hazard a guess on what Prometheus is about.  Prometheus in Greek mythology gave humans the technology of fire.  So following that, humans have probably found alien technology and are trying to reverse engineer it.  However, the technology comes alive and starts infecting people and turning them into Giger-esque monsters.  I guess one could say it's like a virus; it's technological, but also biological somehow.  The infecting people part really fits in with the Alien concept and will also be similar to John Carpenter's The Thing.  The concept that technology is technological yet also biological fits in with the Space Jockey's technology.  Their technology has an organic feel to it.  Ridley probably fused the idea of an "Alien" monster and the Space Jockey's mysterious technology into one for this movie.

If you're asking whether Ridley will steal fire from the Hollywood "Gods", then I'd imagine their fire has died long ago and Ridley is better off making his own.

Loafer

I absolutely agree. An Alien "explanation" film does feel a bit cheap. Let the mystery remain.

I'm mostly excited about Giger being on board. The man is a genius.

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: Loafer on Jan 18, 2011, 04:27:01 PM
I absolutely agree. An Alien "explanation" film does feel a bit cheap. Let the mystery remain.

I'm mostly excited about Giger being on board. The man is a genius.

I would much rather have an Alien "exploration" film than an Alien "explanation" film, showing rather than revealing everything to us (if that makes sense) and capturing the mood of the original, that of...well, "going where no one has gone before." Like a documentary looking into the Deep Sea and discovering new species; we don't know much about them yet, but we appreciate seeing them for the first time. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed