Charlize Theron in the Alien Prequel?

Started by Shasvre, Jan 11, 2011, 02:29:18 AM

Author
Charlize Theron in the Alien Prequel? (Read 13,069 times)

Shasvre

Seems like Charlize Theron might be in this.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/01/charlieze_theron_drops_out_of.html

Charlize Theron has decided against starring in Clint Eastwood's J. Edgar Hoover biopic, and insiders tell Vulture that Twentieth Century Fox is working overtime to re-jigger its planned prequel to Ridley Scott's Alien to potentially, um, vacuum her up. (See what we did there? Space is a vacuum; so is a Hoover! ...Sigh.)

Apparently, Theron's reps at William Morris Endeavor were a bit ahead of the curve on their client's willingness to star as Hoover's longtime personal secretary Helen Gandy, putting the Oscar winner in the slightly awkward position of having to apologize to Eastwood for backing away from a role she never actually planned on accepting. All has since been smoothed over with Eastwood, but it's also opened the door for 20th Century Fox. The studio is hoping the newly-available Theron can solve one of its more pressing problems: Casting its Alien prequel.

Director Ridley Scott is adamant that the little-known Scandinavian actress Noomi Rapace — best known, to the extent that she's known at all, for playing Lisbeth Salander in the Swedish-language Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy — get the part of the Alien prequel's main character, Elizabeth Shaw. Scott has also been pushing to launch a far more multi-cultural crew into space, and last month, Vulture reported that the director hoped to give the part of Vickers — a fortysomething, tough-but-sexy crewmember — to Michelle Yeoh.

However, knowledgeable insiders say that Fox execs are nervous about pinning Scott's costly CGI movie on such lesser-known actors like Rapace and, should a deal be made with him, Michael Fassbender (as this blog also previously reported is in negotiations to play the part of an android crewman), or Yeoh, and so wanted a bigger name for the part of Vickers.

Regardless, we're told that Fox is having the role rewritten so that it's larger and befitting, if not of Theron, than at least of someone of Theron's stature. We're also told that the South African beauty should get the new version of the Alien script sometime this week and make her decision soon.

Space Sweeper

Je préfère Olivia Wilde.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Gash

Alien doesn't need stars. Fox should let Ridley make the film he wants to make. He's always been very good at casting unknown actors and actresses and often drawing from them their defining performances... Sean Young, Daryl Hannah, Eva Green spring to mind.

And who said the prequels are going to CGI heavy? Scott has thus far never gone overboard on CGI, he's used it to augment set construction more than anything else. He tends to like shooting through the lens. I think perhaps a few hints that he's in competition with Avatar are leading people to jump to conclusions.

m138jewski

m138jewski

Isn't the vulture the same publication that printed all the other rumors that turned out to be false? Like the production delay and natalie portman and all that bullshit. Not buying this

Federick Gonsa

Federick Gonsa

yup, not buying anything that comes from them either. And even so, I have never gone to see a movie just because she was on it.

Mus

Corporal Hicks

I've emailed Fox but theyve been less than useful lately. I'd prefer the unknowns personally.

Kimo

i would be happy to see her in a Alien film if this is true. Her role in the film Monster as Aileen Wuornos was breathtakingly real.

Darkness

I quite liked her in Hancock.

Valaquen

Gonna get dirty with all this bull flying around. I'll wait for the director or FOX to speak, there's been far too many unsubstantiated rumours recently.

scarhunter92

It smells like...
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Let's not abuse the spoiler feature guys. Thanks.

Ash 937

It was only a matter of time before Theron's name got thrown into this mix.  I wonder who will be next...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed