James Cameron on Aliens Blu-Ray

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 16, 2010, 06:17:09 PM

Author
James Cameron on Aliens Blu-Ray (Read 10,651 times)

taabuu2342

taabuu2342

@6randy4321 Well obvious to film buffs. regualar film viewers may not have notived that regardless of how many times they see teh film.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

@Blaine  Uh??  AvP-R never had noise or grain problems.  Apart from the obvious (LOL I wont say it) the only real problem with that movie is it's too damn dark, due to over-use (to say the least) of UV filters to darken the colours, an idea they borrowed from Camerons movie to give the same feel.  However, anyone here who knows anything about photography will tell you, if you photgraph something under artificial light and filter it, a certain amount of clarity is lost, leading to minimal contrast in some scenes thus rely on objects or sets being reflective to some degree.  This is the reason why ALIENS was well lit during filming, which you can plainly see when you look at the featurettes and other stuff.  Unfortunately, the dumb Strauss Bros either didnt know this or failed to take it into account, resulting in a film that nobody could make out, even after it was transferred to DVD.

Predator Warlord

Predator Warlord

@RoaryUK  have any of you even seen AVPR on Blu Ray it is super clear nothing but eye candy I don't know WTF you guys are talking about maybe you are use to the DvD version and are also thinking of the theater version as well :(

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

@Predator Warlord  Ok, so I havent seen the Blue-Ray version of AvP-R, but that's beside the point. Of course, Blue-Ray is better than DVD when it comes to improved picture quality, but as with any medium, certain qualities have to be there on film to begin with, wether it be the original negative or a really good print.  Take the vastly improved Wizard of Oz Blue-Ray transfer for example, which was thought to be impossible 10 years ago bearing in mind the original negative wasn't available, and the best print available was in need of restoration... but then again it was great on DVD anyway. But I have seen AvP-R on DVD, and as far as I'm concerned, compared to all the other Alien/Predator related films on this format, there's hardly any improved light quality at all.  Further more, EVERY DVD and Blue-Ray review I have ever read about this film complain about one thing.....ITS TOO DARK!!  What I'm saying is, ok it maybe clearer, but UNLESS the film has been remastered using its original negative, with minimal filtering added for it's Blue-Ray elease, I dont see how this version can be any different to the DVD.  From the pictures I have seen, it looks exactly the same to me.... but maybe you can prove me wrong!!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

@RoaryUK Actually, one of the directors posted here that someone fouled up the darkening process. The should have been overseeing that part, but for reasons I can't remember, weren't able to, meaning it wasn't like they wanted it to be.

I still think that, if it was kept to the same sort of colour as the adverts showed, then some of the scenes would have at least looked better than they had done.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

@Xenpmorphine  Thanks for lthe info, though its obvious something was very wrong with AvP-R's filtering process, which all films go through, I had no idea about this.

Valaquen

Valaquen

I have the AVPR Bluray (it was a gift dammit) and it's no more comprehensible than the DVD, which I've also seen. Bring on Aliens.

TheAncientEnemy

TheAncientEnemy

If you take a look at the red band AVPR trailer, all the scenes are well lit and everything is just as visible as it should be. I believe Hydraulx (or however they spell it) also has well-lit AVPR footage on their demo reel which I am pretty sure can be see online. I remember the Bros saying that the images still needed to be "color corrected" or something to that effect and that the shots in the trailer were not an indicator of the film's final look. This leads me to believe it was a stylistic choice on their part to make the film impossible to see. If the footage existed to make the trailer then the film was already developed and, I am assuming, they did their coloring digitally in post production (since the digital effects were also apparent in the trailer). I suppose what I'm saying is that AVPR didn't HAVE to be so dark and I don't see any reason why it couldn't be re-colored using the raw footage provided that anyone would ever want to touch that mess again.

xcusemoi

xcusemoi

AGAIN... what is "blue"-ray????  ???

Fujimaster

Fujimaster

xcusemoi! Are you really serious? You have internet google it.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

LMAO ... I do believe the knowledge of Blue-Ray has yet to reach those situated on a desert island.... that's progress :-)

Xeno

Xeno

xcusemoi wants to say that "bluE"-ray doesn't exist. It's spelled blu-ray, without an -e. Got it?  :P

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

The technical term is Blu-Ray but the other people use isn't exactly wrong, blue-ray is a viable search because the "blu" bit refers to the colour of the laser.  8)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Jaw-dropping news. I can't wait to see how this comes out. 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed