Predator Blu-Ray Comparison

Started by Darkness, Jun 24, 2010, 06:40:02 PM

Author
Predator Blu-Ray Comparison (Read 10,418 times)

Darkness

Darkness

Here’s an article I wrote comparing the picture quality between the original Predator Blu-Ray and the upcoming version. 20th Century Fox has given the new release a digital restoration and they weren’t kidding. Predator looks stunning. The grain that plagued previous releases has been removed completely.

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition goes on sale June 29th in the US and July 5th in the UK.

Purebreedalien

Wow! That's amazing, thanks for writing that up. I can't wait to get my hands on a Blu-Ray player and that Blu-Ray. 8)

r0x0rs

r0x0rs

I'll be waiting at midnight for it to hit the shelves!

darthmaul1

darthmaul1

I will have to watch it to get a better idea but I think sometimes you need the grain other wise the effects might look bad if only the picture has been cleaned up.

BISHOP 93

BISHOP 93

:o NICE shame i only got the definitive edition last year :-\  decisions, decisions

Daunty

Daunty

Amazing? They killed it! DNR'd it to death... Arnold looks like WAX now: http://i50.tinypic.com/96z5f7.jpg

You guys tell me wich one looks more realistic... Predator should have grain. Not as much as the previous edition, but it shouldn't look so clean as this. Every little detail has been completly removed. Fox screwed us over and I'm afraid to what they might do with 'Aliens'.

Griffith

Griffith

Haters gona hate

JaredK21

JaredK21

Once a hater, always a hater ;)
It looks great, stop crying. Go watch the VHS...it's still there waiting for you.

Predator Warloard

Predator Warloard

Daunty? WTF are talking about Arnold looks like wax do you even know how converting stranded def video to blu ray even works it heightens the resolution and get rid of film grain. He looks shiny because they were in humid  tropical conditions hence jungle that "wax" is sweat

bleau

bleau

Actually Arnold put oil on his face and body to look better. There is more detail in the newer version. The old blu ray had so much grain it covered everything up. Oh and it's not DNR'd to death. :)

frostedone

frostedone

The old Predator Blu-ray was quite grainy, but that is due to the film stock.

This new version looks better in that it is brighter and virtually no grain, but the DNR seems to have been applied a little bit too much. The characters look almost too smooth and unnatural.

That said I still like this more then the old version. :D

Predator Warloard

Predator Warloard

The point of this new Blu Ray release is to make the movie look fresh and new like it just came out in theaters

Valheru

Valheru

I agree with Daunty...not about Arnie's face but the fact that Predator is an old film and should be left that way...sure, scale it to bluray res. but leave the image as it is, as people fondly remember it as and the fact that the grain actually adds some real world grit and atmosphere to it instead of being ultra clean and clear. An old saying is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and seriously which predator looks better here in the links below...the dark, menacing looking one, or the one on the right where there's no room for imagination to fill the unclear areas, where it actually nearly just looks like a movie prop / guy in a suit.

Orig - http://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/predatorold33.jpg
New - http://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/predatornew33.jpg

GROND29

GROND29

What about the HD audio quality? any changes there? people often forget about the audio

Hawks1

Hawks1

roxxors, huh?  this is just a bluray, you think walmart will have boxes of them at midnight like a video game?  doubt it.  tuesday best buy it is for me, not blockbuster they mark up the dvds and blurays 5 bucks higher than best buy.  this one will be 30 bucks flat everywhere though.  they may even charge 35 bucks for it initially.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed