The Visual Effects of AvPR

Started by Darkness, Jan 10, 2008, 05:49:59 PM

Author
The Visual Effects of AvPR (Read 8,191 times)

Darkness

Darkness

There’s a fairly detailed article on CGSociety about the visual effects in AvP Requiem. They interviewed the Strause Brothers as well two crew members.

“Even so, the film has around 460 visual effects shots. In addition to adding digital characters in post, Hydraulx created the interior of the predator's ship, wiped out a city with a nuclear blast, colorized and augmented predator POV shots filmed on an infrared thermal camera, added blood and gore, painted the Rocky Mountains into backgrounds shot in Vancouver, melted a kid's face with acid, and sent a space ship crashing through a forest like a meteor in the beginning of the film. “Those were huge CG shots,” says Straus of the latter.”

It’s quite interesting. The two crew member interviews are with compositer, Laura Sevilla and animation supervisor Josh Cordes. He talks a little about doing previs on location. Thanks to Peter Moore for the news.

stealth bunny

stealth bunny

The cg was very good but i still can't understand the redesighn of thr predator ship at tha start!!!   ???     ???  

BioMech

BioMech

Under the picture of Wolf: "The Predalien... " LOOOOL!   ;D     >:(     ???   What a barbarism!

daniel clavette

daniel clavette

That look truly cool  and it is great.

Commander Griker

shouldn't it show the Predalien and not the predator? LOL    ???  

gratitude

gratitude

The effects in this film were extremely poor.  The CGI was pitiful and looked painted-on, especially the Predator ship, the headbites, and the blood splatters.  When special effects from 1986 look better than special effects from 2007, you know something is very wrong with the people who made the film.

Deco

Deco

The effects were abismal and the film is an insult to paying customers

Emperor_Toe

Emperor_Toe

the effects could only have been a budget issue, if u look at hydraulixs' past CG in films like FF and 300 u can see its a high end visual effects company.

Commander Griker

konradski

konradski

lol caommander i love itht fan film  theres an alien in shower one somewere ont web wereby pred flushes the loo and pisse,s it off in shower lol

bharat

bharat

effects of avp-r was pathetic,although avp was not that good but the movie got good special effects,aliens and predator looked real in that movie,but in avp-r aliens were painted dummies and predator was like assembled from bits and pieces... poor show by straus brothers after giving excellent effects in 300.

sbrosblow

sbrosblow

300 was Strause Bros?  300 visual f/x people worked on 300 with Hydraulx being just one of several vfx companies involved.  You people give them way too much credit because you have no idea what shots they were responsible for, how much of the shot they were responsible for, or how much of their work escaped the cutting room floor.  And the vfx in AVP:r do suck.  And don't tell me it was a budget issue.  The film cost 40 mil and I guarantee non of the actors got more than scale wages and they sure as hell didn't pay Salerno much for the script.  In other words they had a budget for vfx and wasted it.  Of all the movies that show atomic blasts, this is the worst one.  The ship crash was ok and I'm sure that 10 sec was a large chunk of change.  But the ship sucked, the blood spatter sucked, and the father's arm melting was laughable (they should have hidden their lack of talent with low light levels for that shot like they did the rest of the movie).

bilbo baggins

bilbo baggins

It is always great to hear people smash vfx in a film - and how the film "should" be better and it makes me think - "Could you personally do it better? If you could, please do, but I am sure that won't be happening."  Oh, and most of 300 was completed by Hydraulx - head severe shot, the rhinos, the elephants, the slo-motion stuff. I personally thought AVPR was a pretty decent movie - no it will not win oscars, but I was more entertained at AVPR than I was at the previous 2 very dull Pirates movies :)  Good job on the movie!

darth nader

darth nader

That's the worst argument ever.  So people who aren't in the special effects business can't criticize bad effects unless they can do better?  You sound like those people who say you shouldn't criticize Bush unless you think you could be a better president.  It's not my job to do special effects, its the filmmaker's job.  If they can't do them well, then we call them out on it.  That's the point of critiquing a film.

Deco

Deco

I dont know that the fuss is because the effects in 300 werent THAT great either... The Rhino looked dreadful. As for some of the other movies that the Bros Strause have VFX'd - The day after tomorrow: theres are scene where there are CGI wolves and they too, look terrible. The only way we'll ever get the AVP movie we want is if Fox get Cameron to shoot MY SCRIPT    :D  

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed