Hospital Scene in AvP2 [Updated]

Started by Darkness, Mar 31, 2007, 10:34:10 PM

Author
Hospital Scene in AvP2 [Updated] (Read 25,085 times)

RIJOENPIAL

means (sorry..hit SEND by mistake...) ... A preview is analysing the hype or expectations, our own and others, and analyse the info available and see if that info allows for pattern-finding...This movie already gave enough info to establish a preview analysis...the concept, story, setting, cast, writer, etc...first draft script, what was maintained, what didn't...   I don't disguise my high level of expectations behind blind faith, but prefer to factualise them... I have seen enough of FOX past history in publicing and developing movies to know a decoy when I see one... When you want to make a good movie, you choose a good cast, not a 'cheap' one...you choose a good writer, not a rewriter... and you chose a setting for a prequel that does not conflict in any way with what preceded it...  You CAN make a good AVP movie if you invst resources and brainpower in them...no clue of that so far has come to my knowledge...

RIJOENPIAL

More FX, fights and gore don't make a good movie, not by a long shot...and I'm afraid too much time has passed for Fox to remember how to make a successful sequel... If you don't count X-Men 2, a movie that had an enourmous fanbase to make it successful, not because it was a good movie at all... Talking of soap-operish one-liners movies... So I don't need to see the whole picture to asset about what AVP2 will be or not be... I can distinguish between a good movie and a bad one just by seing previewing differences... I know a movie with a cast of OC, Smallville 'kids' is not comparable to a 'Saving Private Ryan' one...And I am not even taking into consideration the setting yet... Teh setting is ridiculous...And most o you said tha the pyramid one from the first was ridiculous, so why do you think a present-day smalltown setting, full of clich

Kenobi

Kenobi

so a hospital parkin lot...what about a bar??? now theres a good scene....o god why couldnt this be in the future... =(

Xenomorphine

RIJ:  Glad to see you agree with me. :) Like I said, if you had judged 'Aliens' or 'Predator' purely on what was heard about a lot of characters in those, you would probably be coming up with similar conclusions. What matters is the execution of how those characters are handled.  Again, we know absolutely nothing about the story, other than the setting. Those involved in it have specifically pointed out that the script they are using is not the one others have heard of, regardless of a few of the more generic elements being involved in it (such as the setting).  And it's perfectly acceptable to compare 'Jurassic Park' with this, in the context of demonstrating why the inclusion of young characters can easily lead to thrilling sequences.  No, constructive criticism is not what you describe. It's much more balanced than what you are doing, which is essentially presuming everything under the sun, bnased on very little CONFIRMED information. You have no idea how good the cast is, other than making assumptions they can't be because you have personally never noticed them in other productions. Are we to say Harrison Ford is a crap actor, just because he was in the 'Star Wars Holiday Special'? :)  And the film's atmosphere depends on what goes on. 'Alien' is recognised as one of the best in cinematic history, but if it's analysed, very little in the way of actual story is there. Even less with 'Predator'. It really does depend.

Xenomorphine

Just for the record, I liked the pyramid idea. :)

Xenomorphine

What would the future provide which this would not? Continuity? But we already know the Colonial Marines were abolished and the more inept United Systems Military were put in their place. If you just want the Colonial Marines to be there (who are essentially the same as their contemporaries in our age), then you are still not going to have the question of the villains winning, because 'Alien Resurrection' showed the public were generally unaware of the creatures, by the time it was taking place.  If you want to have that element returned, then you have to factor in the USM and they were hardly professionals. At least, going by their leadership quality and behaviour in that film.

RIJOENPIAL

Xeno, you are still making a  basic mistake: you believe everything you are told... I know a bad cast when i see one, and don't pretend that this cast assures anything more than a horror-101 cast': young, dumb and full of come... and i said that this cast is made of actors so secondary (almost extras) that they don't even register ...See IMDB's filmography of these actors and Shane to understand what i aim for... I have seen enough movies to acknowledge patterns... But that's me... The setting, which to you is not relevant, is exactly the gensis of the problem... You take the Xeno out from space into a familiar tv room, or parking lot, or whatever, you destroy the alien-ess of it... it becomes just an animal, on two ro four legs, against an humanoid masked hunter... And that's it... I am almost seeing an Alien being thrown into a living room with a TV on and all...and you tell me that is not making the characters frugal, banal as a dog chasing a cat or a cat chasing a mouse or fighting with other cats... I see wildlife fights which, in comparison, (and now they WILL be in comparison level...) look far more dangerous than this... The Pred on Predator2 looked too human in the city setting, so what do you think the As and Ps will look like...? Forget continuity, how about the mythos, the extraordinary-ness of the characters rendered banal by a «street» (and this time is literal) brawl between a Pred and various Aliens...?

RIJOENPIAL

The moment you believe Fox is being honest with you WHILE all they are doong is trying to sell their product, you are done for... When a studio, knowing full well that only a magnificent movie will give them a boxoffice hit, greenlight a movie with this cast, writer and crew, so inexperienced, it is more a gamble than an assured hit...tell me I am wrong... and they know it full well, that is why they are having the longest post-production time for a movie like this, to condition the viewers into submission, feeding them until the premiere with little info, aiming at maintaining the hype and therefore have a massive attendance...basic 'sheep herding 101' there, Xeno... I, as a fan, am unwilling to giv in to this marketing 'out of the manual' policy...I don't know about you...

Katarn

Katarn

Well, someone is being a pessimist    ;)    The problem with most people is that they can't accept something new added to the A&P saga. All everybody wants to see, is Cameron's Aliens with a Predator or two thrown in.

RIJOENPIAL

Hey, I don't want a re-hatch of previous movies... Aliens was my nº 2 movie, and all I want is a movie carefully crafted from the script up because there is a lot of potential there, so clumsily and hastily misused by greedy corporations..Hey, Fox DOES look a lot like Weyland-Yutani...talking about self-deprication...    :D     8)  

Dual Blade

Dual Blade

Look, I can understand your fears RIJOENPIAL but lets look at this point from another view:  Predator for example, if you didn't know a thing about the stars of the show, never seen them act or perform AT ALL would YOU  have been confident about the star of the film an ex body-builder ( actaully two, Jessi Ventura) being able to perform the way you expected him to in the movie or just crash and burn a horrible death in the cass performance? My point is that it is not just the acting but THE WHOLE PICTURE, how the entire film will feel and look, the whole mode.  Alien, Ridley Scotts first film was the Dualist, would you have even thought that he could accomplish the sucess of this movie having come from an advertising carreer and nothing at all science fiction orinated, but FOX saw the potential there.  We are ALL anxious to see more shots of the movie, lets ALL be calm guys, the brothers WILL deliver,am sure of it.    ;D  

RIJOENPIAL

You are comparing the incomparable...A movie's success is a fluke, especially in the eighties, when they were experimenting...even the writers and moviemakers were amazed at how successful Predator and Alien became...  And again, don't compare the eighties with today, it will sound way off... It is like comparing our father's time with our own... Like I said, it is comparing the incomparable... For isntance, AVP is built on two franchises from thirty years ago, one, and two decades the other... Alien and Pred were the giant leaps into the unknown...I wished we had more of that today, instead of this pitiful and coward manipulation and lack of creativity that drowns our times...  And again, Dual Blade, I say again that we already know better than to have faith in the Devil we know... Fox is renowned, over the past decade,  for spawning blockbusters or sequels that are light years away from their originals, so why the faith then...? Why the high climb...? So that you can fall harder..? So you can build high expectations and then , inevitably, fall hard on your tush...? I don't think so... The moment we fall for the studios' pitiful marketing mensonges, we become what we detest: a part of the Matrix...      :D     ;)  

Nukiemorph

Back to the idea of aliens and predators fighting in view of the public...  They could throw in a government cover-up easily.  I mean in the Resident Evil films, Umbrella managed to keep the zombie epidemic quiet for a while by telling the world it was an elaborate hoax.  There's always the idea that the government or some big corporation covered it all up.  Plus, this is based in a small mountain town.  Maybe they'll give reason for all communications to be down.  It's not that hard in the mountains.  I know people talk about how there will be traces of the alien and predator corpses and battles left behind, but the government can obliterate that stuff too.  (Sure, it's not the most intriguing or original idea in the world, but it keeps the continuity alive.)  There's plenty of time between the events of AVP 2 and Alien to make up some reason the general public of Alien's time, as well as the Weyland Corporation, wouldn't know about them.

Nukiemorph

I think with a little bit of imagination, the continuity of the Alien films is nearly untouchable, at least by this installment... (unless the aliens or predators destroy the planet and kill off the human race, but I doubt they'll do that...)   :P    We shouldn't just sit back and say "Well, the movie didn't explain why this fits with the other films, so it must not fit at all.  I'm angry and the series is ruined."  The way some of you guys talk, it almost sounds like you WANT to let this movie ruin the franchises for you.

Nukiemorph

One more thing...  Someone said the director mentioned that they're probably going to break away from the continuity...  Where was the said???  On the director's quote page of this website, Greg is quoted as saying, "Everyone needs to understand that Colin and I are completely aware of the continuity concerns, and they have been addressed. We respect canon, and we wont break anything that happens in the Alien time line. The toughest questions arise when the canon of the various films conflict - and in these cases its our opinion to look to the originals as the guide. Everyone will need to remain patient in regards to the secrecy that surrounds our film - details will be released when we see fit. I would encourage everyone to hold off on their negative comments until they see the first teasers....this film isn't going to be what you are expecting." and Colin is quoted as saying, "Movies = Cannon."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed