AvP Reviews Roundup (Bad)

Started by Darkness, Aug 13, 2004, 11:38:46 PM

Author
AvP Reviews Roundup (Bad) (Read 20,458 times)

Erez

Erez

Let's say for example, that instead of the pred they would make the pope's grandma naked. AvP would suck completely, but Predator would have many things that still make it a great movie that AvP lacks (Mainly because in Predator it stays cloaked most of the time). Well, that had a little sense of humor in it, but I hope you got the concept. And stop those "chill out" posts.

ChineseWarr!0r

ChineseWarr!0r

well i came back and saw AVP with my girl :D i do say i am a tad dissapointed...but I f**kING LOVED IT! i only wished that the preds got more action and didnt die so fast >< and the elder pred should have came out to whoop some ass!!!  i give it a 8/10 :D

LyricalPharaoh

LyricalPharaoh

Im not surprised.  i didn't think i could have a lesser opinion of this movie but i do now.  just because there are possibly worse movies out there i.e."battlefield earth", "Godzilla" doesnt excuse a crappy film from Anderson.  if this really is as bad as they say, then i think Anderson's film days should END. this is a crime to all the fans, PG-13? f**k YOU ANDERSON!! f**k YOU JOHN DAVIS! f**k YOU FOX!!  There may never be a  Predator 3 cuz of this.

ismguy

ismguy

i was telling my friends i saw the movie with i wish they would have used more of the books screenplay than what they ended up with.  personally i think FOX really screwed themselves with the rating and the running time.  the lack of blood was stupid.  when the burster came out of the guy and scar grabbed it there was NO blood on it.  they  could have put some blood on it.  that was stupid.  the more i think about all this and the movie the more i want to hear PA talk about this and tell us why why why.  or a fox rep.  they have been so hush hush.  Woodruff and the FX team should get hella praise for the aliens the queen and the outside of the predator craft.  I also think the set was nice.  did anyone here also notice the cutting of the gore and what not really screwed with the tempo of the fight scenes and the movie overall really.  i dont know.  im gonna watch pred 1 and aliens  tonight and remember the good ol days.  i dont mean to be critical i think it was an ok movie but i really feel bad for the people who made this movie cause when i went and saw it people where laughing and booing.  these one guys (out of reach from my foot) made fun of everything.  i mean these arent real fans but it kinda made me feel sorry for the people that did a good job like Woodruff.  I hope there isnt another pred or alien movie.  they should cut their losses and leave it.

Erez

Erez

John Davis is that f**ker from the previews right? Its face really dmenad a spikey rat trap slicing his head to two with a bunch of cash as bait.

antman

antman

Mr. Paul Anderson is by far THE WORST MOVIE DIRECTOR OF ALL TIME.....!!!!!  I am sorry I ever saw that movie....i even gave it the benefit of the doubt...i tried really hard to like it...but quite frankly You are a crappy director!!  You ruined Resident Evil, and Mortal Kombat, and now for some reason you ruined another movie with a lot of potential (AVP)!!  Why Mr. Anderson?...WHY??  You should not have killed off the two predators so soon into the story!  AND WHY THE HELL WASNT I SCARED!!! YOU ARENT EVEN TRYING TO MAKE IT SCARY R U??!!  You were given the oprotunity of a life time...and you BLEW IT!  I HOPE YOU NEVER DIRECT ANOTHER MOVIE AGAIN...Im sorry if a sound a little harsh, but three movies with POTENTIAL down the drain....THREE!!!    >:D  

AdamJZ

AdamJZ

I liked it, it was great. the next one should be in the future though. It was a really good movie.

big big fan

big big fan

I saw the movie today which the day it came out. I was a little sad. There needed to be more blood. Scar and Lex on a team I really didnt like that. Every1 dies at the same time I HATED that. There were 3 mins between each death and the same goes for the preds and there needed to be more preds then 3. All in all it was ok and i bet a lot of money there will be a number 2 and if there is I hope it is better then number 1.   :-\ 

And u guys should not be so hard on the director. It was not that bad of a movie it just could have been better thats all.

pred-maniac

pred-maniac

i just back from seeing the movie and u know what i have no feelings for this movie other than the ending i loved the ending it just lets me know that paul will probably not make the sequel oh plz god. I am a huge huge predator fan and when i saw scar take his mask off showing it to lex, i could sense and feel  scar was not the predator i expected i wanted more shadowing around the eyes, the eyes were so human that i could tell there was a man in a suit wearing a mask.why couldnt they kevin peter hall to teach the pred actors how to move and act like preds? stan winston hear my cry i want u to get involved in the sequel u make the predator the predator. the alien on the other hand was well done no complaints there. when the scar pulls his mask off i didn't feel like it was the right time for that but u know wat im not going to put the movie down i like the action and ending thats about it. oh by the way if alien wins we lose... because predator doesnt plan on having a war with us or wiping us off the face of the universe so fox u have it alll wrong.

tribalcore

tribalcore

kevin peter hall died a couple of months later after pred 2 of aids

big big fan

big big fan

pred maniac is right preds wolnt wipe out the world but the aliens would and we would not stand a chance.

WonderBrick(WB)

WonderBrick(WB)

In short, the film is equally bad as it is good.  Also, to give you more perspective, I went to the theatres with the expectation of making a day out of the theatre, by watching AVP, Collateral, and then AVP again.  After seeing AVP once, I did not have desire to see it again, so soon.  I can't wait for it on DVD, but the overall experience, and approaches taken to AVP, left me no desire to see it again within same day.  The whole time I watched AVP, I kept thinking about how TombRaider-esque the movie was.  Most lines and scenes were overstated, not understated like Alien, Aliens, and Predator.  To much posturing, overacting, and "big" presentation.  I never felt like these were people like you and me that were suddenly faced with something out of the ordinary.  Instead of a normal world with normal reactions, normal dialogue exchange, where the extraordintary occurances, we have a TombRaider/ResidentEvil comic-booky world where everyone more or less strikes a pose and delivers pumped-up lines.  PG-13.  I could really see and feel the effect of the PG-13 rating.  Important scenes to Alien and Predator films had the camara cut away to quickly.  Someone else said it perfectly...  Studios have other PG-13 francises to use, like MIB.  Aliens and Predator have no business being toned down to appeal to those markets those other properties capture.  POV.  The Point of View in which AVP is told, lets the audience jump around and watch action from the human's POV, Predator's POV, and Alien's POV, and even an omnipotent POV.  This is different then all the Alien and predator films that had the camera follow the humans and see only stuff from the human's perspective.  There are big pluses and minuses to having the POV that AVP uses.  The biggest minus is that AVP totally loses the feel of past Alien/Predator films and feels like a new beast.  The first 45min was very nicely paced.  From then on, it felt like alot was chopped out and/or rushed to get to the end.  Scenes felt intentionally edited short.  It felt like it was intentionally shortened to hit the 87min mark.  I wanted many, many scenes to linger a bit longer, not because I wanted to see more AVP, but simply because it felt like the scenes needed it.  People died, or other important events happened, and the movie instant kept rolling onward with zero lingering time.  I can only hope that a Director's Cut will make it out on DVD and give scenes a bit more justice.  Weylands role.  Other char development.  The Weyland char served little purpose other then to provide a reason to get to have the funds to get to the Antartic location quickly.  None of the potential mythology of Weyland or Weyland Yutani was furthered.  No aspect of robotics reared it's head.  I even thought that Weyland would lead to the introduction of Standford being an early andriod, but this was not the case.  Other chars were clearly there as cannonfodder, though some attempt was made to let us know they had families, to help make their deaths have meaning.  We never had much chance to get to knwo them to get any sense of loss when they died.  The Alien life-cycle.  Wow is it sped up. The facehugger face-grabs a victim, and before the pyramid even shifts states(every 10min), a chestburster is popping out.  And the chestbursters are then full-size in the next scenes.  Glaringly annoying.  Totally inexcusable.  Cheezy moments.  There are some really cheezy moments, like the slow motion running of the Predator and Lex fleeing an oncoming explosion.  The long stares between Lex and Scar.  There are alot of moments that make me cringe.  CGI.  For all the talk of low reliance of CGI and heavy use of actors and models, the CGI can be glaringly evident.  There are many scenes where the actors and models look great.  And there are even scenes where the CGI looks great.  But when the CGI gets heavy usage, it is very apparent, and snaps you right out of the movie.  Predators.  Alot has been said about their size, and much of it is rightfully said.  I think some of the complaints are just a side-effect of the style in which the Predators where shot.  The Celtic Predator was indeed the biggest, and did look huskier then the others.  But overall the Predators did have a huskier look, instead of a tall and lanky look.  Height was fine, but husky stood out.  At points they looks like football players, or even WWF wrestlers.  And unfortunately often it looked like men in suits.  There are times that body language was effective and made the Predators look like Predators, but more often then not, it looked like men in suits.  :(  The Predator vision itself looked like bad CGI at times that facehuggers and chestbursters were seen.  the Pred-vision classic sound was oddly missing, or rather changed.  Checklist of features.  AVP was indeed a checklist of features I wanted to see in a AVP film.  It had Weyland, it had Weyland's homage to the Bishop knife trick, it had unique looks to the Predators, it covered the Predator manhood ritual.  It had a pissed-as-hell Queen Alien and some kick-ass effective killing machine Aliens that were powerful and not just cannonfodder.  It had alot more stuff I won't bother listing.  Infact, it had more items on it's list then I would have even hoped for.  I liked that the stuff AVP fans wanted to see in a AVP film made it to the film, but the actual execution of the film still hurts.  Sequel.  I could really care less for a sequel now.  The checklist of stuff I wanted to see covered was indeed covered, except for the introduction of an andriod, by way of Weyland.  Without Weyland around, any future introduction on any andriod is meaningless.  And I certainly don't want to see Lance Hendrickson brought back in andriod form for a meaningless tie to bind the franchises together.  The only thing I want to see in any sequel is to see a strong, deadly experienced Predator in action, kicking ass to help make up for the poor showing of the Predators in AVP.  We knew these Predators were young and inexperienced.  I can accept that.  I love that the Aliens were shown as the underestimated powerhouses they are meant to be.  But I want to see an agile, skilled Predator that shows us the difference between young inexperience and a skilled vet.  Overall, the movie had as much good as it had bad.  And it had some really good stuff, and some really bad stuff.  Some aspects were so bad, I left feeling embarressed for the film, and how others might view the francise.  I came with low expectations.  Part of me wants to rank this film down with Alien: Resurrection, but I thik the concept of AVP was very sound.  It was the implamentation of certain parts that made me cringe.  Repeat viewings might sway me towards a better or worse opinion, but as of right now, it is worse then Alien, Aliens, Predator, Predator2.  It is around Alien3.  Concept and a checklist of stuff AVP fans wanted to see keeps it from hitting Alien: Resurrection status, though it comes dangerously close.

Fallen_Guard

Fallen_Guard

you people are all insane. that was the single greatest movie i have ever seen. i think its funny as hell that you all went totally f**k shit saying its gonna be the greatest movie ever. then it comes out and everyone has to go crying to thier mommys about how Anderson didnt do this or there was too much of that. shove it up your ass's lol. that movie f**ken rocked all!

you people are insane. i love this movie more then michal jackson likes young boys. i'm gonna see it again and again and i will NEVER get bored of seeing Grid alien whiping 2 predators off the face of the planet in less then 5 minutes    8) 

Darth Garuda

Darth Garuda

I think everyone including PA forgets that AVP started with a Xenomorph's skull in a Predator trophy case, not the other way.  Predators are not weaklings, they'd mop up those bitches easy.  5 people killed how many in Aliens?  Predator kill 2 Spec Ops teams in I and tons more in II.  How would they fall to a few Aliens?  This is watered down inconsistant crapolla, and Predator fans are pissed on.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Actually   AVP started with Dark horse comics in 1999 and they still have the best origianl story....  grrrrrrrrrrrr

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed