Favorite Alien?

Started by #6.0, Aug 23, 2010, 08:15:07 AM

Not taking design into account, which lead Alien, one important to the story, not cannon fodder was your favorite?

Giger, Alien
19 (50%)
Queen, Aliens
8 (21.1%)
Runner, Alien3
5 (13.2%)
Grid, AVP
2 (5.3%)
Queen, AVP
0 (0%)
Chet, AVPR
2 (5.3%)
Newborn, AR, Do not pick this one to be funny. I just have to let it in. Apperently.
2 (5.3%)
They are all the same to me.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author
Favorite Alien? (Read 18,328 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: BLAIN on Aug 23, 2010, 06:58:48 PM
That, coupled with the way it acts...
I Bingo'ed it. The Newborn was a curious, emotionally instable being. Just like a baby. It couldn't realize what it really was and what it wanted was love from (what he considered to be) its mother.

everything about the damn thing was just...what's the word I'm looking for...stupid?
Weird. Unsettling. Disturbing.

I have rewatched this move so many times in an attempt to like it,
I did also. it took... 10, maybe 12 views for me to appreciate the film as a whole.

The eggs were practically the same as every other alien film. Nothing different in the slightest, save for minute design changes administered by ADI to make them for...lively.
They slightly squirmed, something the precedents didn't do (an indication if I'm not wrong from Jeunet himself, who wanted them to be more "alive" looking); The petals were shaped differently and opened more slowly; the egg sucked inside itself white-ish slime (um) before releasing the facehugger.

Regarding poll, I'll give this one either to Gridalien or Spike. Let's see how it goes...

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

I have rewatched this move so many times in an attempt to like it, and it is the only movie with aliens in them that I have not grown to like. The only one.

Same. I tried to force myself to like it as much as possible. No luck, I still hate it more than any other film. Not just an alien film, ANY other film. To me A:R is tied with all Michael Bay movies for the worst abomination ever, and the worst franchise killer if you dont count TV shows (like Robocop, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Total Recall)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 23, 2010, 06:47:53 PM
Did it achieve to horrify you with the creation of an Abomination against Nature? It did for sure. Nothing is a consensus about A:R. Hell, nothing is a consensus in any film we can discuss about.
Nope.

She feels the Queen suffering; She smiles when the Aliens get free; she refers to the Queen as "her child"; states to be "the Monster's Mother" in front of Purvis.
Puns and joke moments. Otherwise she's powered-up, pun cracking, super Ripley.

QuoteWhen?
Her jovial appearance and joke cracking speaks spades.

You spend a life wiping out a species, only to get yourself revived and more affine to them. That's irony.
And? It's ironic humour. Nothing near the catharsis of Aliens or impending doom of Alien3. Fighting the creature and becoming impregnated was as far as the irony should have been taken.

The eggs too.
Nope.

QuoteExplored with Ripley 8, failed Clones and Newborn.
Nope. Featured, not explored.

samoht

samoht

Quote from: alienhunter14 on Aug 23, 2010, 01:27:59 PM
My favorite is the Giger, Alien.

http://empiresf.free.fr/gifs/alien1.jpg -alienhunter14

ummm....ok...

that ain't the Giger alien. Looks nothing like it.

#6.0

#6.0

Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 23, 2010, 06:25:47 PM
I pick the option that is not in the poll which is RIDGED ALIENS

1) They attack on sight, just like the Runner, but as oppose to the runner, theyre not confused and arent lacking in intelligence so much (Runner fell into the trap twice and in the same way, plus more)
2) They are the smartest one if we go by the movies, they're like a human army and act like soldiers taking tactical decisions and maneuvers
3) They defeated a highly trained and highly equipped marines. Such approach represents how dangerous and terrifying aliens really are because theyre going against military. You cant really see that well when unarmed weaker opponents are facing the alien. If I beat up a smaller, helpless kid it doesnt really show how tough I am. But if I beat up a guy who's armed with knives and sticks and baseball bat than its something else

The ridged head ones are not lead, they were cannon fodder, if you had read the question, you would know that.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: alienhunter14 on Aug 23, 2010, 01:27:59 PM
My favorite is the Giger, Alien.

http://empiresf.free.fr/gifs/alien1.jpg -alienhunter14
I like the Giger Alien too!

QuoteThe ridged head ones are not lead, they were cannon fodder, if you had read the question, you would know that.
lol. And Kane's Son was speargun fodder, and the Runner sprinkler fodder.

#6.0

#6.0

No, they were individuals, killed in the climactic battle, the ridged head aliens were yes ALL killed in part of the climax, but they were first a group, and second killed throughout the film. If you don't like how the topic is set up, leave. There is no reason to stick around and complain about it.

Also, that Alien is not the Giger Alien, It's from AVPR, but I am sure you knew that.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: #6.0 on Aug 23, 2010, 10:01:11 PM

1) They attack on sight, just like the Runner, but as oppose to the runner, theyre not confused and arent lacking in intelligence so much (Runner fell into the trap twice and in the same way, plus more)
2) They are the smartest one if we go by the movies, they're like a human army and act like soldiers taking tactical decisions and maneuvers
3) They defeated a highly trained and highly equipped marines. Such approach represents how dangerous and terrifying aliens really are because theyre going against military. You cant really see that well when unarmed weaker opponents are facing the alien. If I beat up a smaller, helpless kid it doesnt really show how tough I am. But if I beat up a guy who's armed with knives and sticks and baseball bat than its something else

The ridged head ones are not lead, they were cannon fodder, if you had read the question, you would know that.

I disagree that they are side characters, if thats what you mean by "canon fodder". We didnt know about the Queen until the end of the movie, it wasnt the movie's lead villain, it was more of a boss. Aliens were the danger and the title characters. Saying that the Queen is the lead in Aliens is like saying that Shao Kahn is the lead villain in the first MOrtal Kombat

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: #6.0 on Aug 23, 2010, 10:12:40 PM
No, they were individuals, killed in the climactic battle, the ridged head aliens were yes ALL killed in part of the climax, but they were first a group, and second killed throughout the film. If you don't like how the topic is set up, leave. There is no reason to stick around and complain about it.
They proved to be more capable than any of the other Aliens, considering the firepower they faced. And put anything in front of armour piercing, explosive tipped rounds fired at 700rpm and guess what, it'll die. The Alien was never invincible anyway, and never meant to be (they gave it acid blood for a reason, y'know)

'I was stuck on one point; once they got the thing on the spaceship, I wanted to avoid the cliche of bullets bouncing off of it: the indestructible monster, I mean, that's the ancient cliche, right? "You can't stop it, bullets won't stop it." Not at all. I wanted the thing to be, in every respect, a natural animal, which means, yes, if you shoot it, it'll die.'
    Dan O'Bannon.

'Once I had gotten the Alien inside the ship, I encountered a narrative problem, namely, why didn't they just kill the thing? ... Generations of writers before me had resorted to, "Bullets won't stop it!" which is, of course, the big gest groaner of all time. Bullets will stop anything ... Though deadly, the critter was as vulnerable as any other animal to having holes drilled in it.'
    Dan O'Bannon.

If you don't like how the Alien is set up, then, y'know, leave.
QuoteAlso, that Alien is not the Giger Alien, It's from AVPR, but I am sure you knew that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke
and
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Controlling-Anger-A-Self-Help-Guide.htm

#6.0

#6.0

Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 23, 2010, 10:15:32 PM
Quote from: #6.0 on Aug 23, 2010, 10:01:11 PM

I disagree that they are side characters, if thats what you mean by "canon fodder". We didnt know about the Queen until the end of the movie, it wasnt the movie's lead villain, it was more of a boss. Aliens were the danger and the title characters. Saying that the Queen is the lead in Aliens is like saying that Shao Kahn is the lead villain in the first MOrtal Kombat

I am not saying she was the lead VILLAIN, I am saying she was the lead ALIEN. This poll is about individuals. The ridged heads were like the storm troopers, yes they are what are most commonly battled, but they are not the lead, Darth Vader is.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: #6.0 on Aug 23, 2010, 10:21:26 PM

I am not saying she was the lead VILLAIN, I am saying she was the lead ALIEN. This poll is about individuals. The ridged heads were like the storm troopers, yes they are what are most commonly battled, but they are not the lead, Darth Vader is.

Thats what I meant by side characters. But taking Star Wars as an example,. We were introduced to the villain right away (Vader) and knew that hes the guy. Going to see Aliens you werent even aware that something like Queen exists and she doesnt come up untill the end, and she doesnt pull the strings - aliens decide for themselves and protect the queen so she can lay more eggs and make more aliens. Thats why I disagree but I see your angle now

SiL

SiL

#6.0 is right. No one Alien in Aliens was worth mentioning until the Queen rocked up. It's one of the problems with the portrayal. Cameron made them all zombies, devoid of any personality.

#6.0

#6.0

Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 23, 2010, 10:28:13 PM
Quote from: #6.0 on Aug 23, 2010, 10:21:26 PM

Thats what I meant by side characters. But taking Star Wars as an example,. We were introduced to the villain right away (Vader) and knew that hes the guy. Going to see Aliens you werent even aware that something like Queen exists and she doesnt come up untill the end, and she doesnt pull the strings - aliens decide for themselves and protect the queen so she can lay more eggs and make more aliens. Thats why I disagree but I see your angle now

Okay, disagree. If you do not like the poll, stop posting in it.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: #6.0 on Aug 23, 2010, 10:31:55 PM

Okay, disagree. If you do not like the poll, stop posting in it.

Why are you being so offensive? Jesus Christs, did I say that I dont like the poll? Its a forum where you discuss things and when you think you have a different view you explain it and give your arguments.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SiL on Aug 23, 2010, 10:30:57 PM
#6.0 is right. No one Alien in Aliens was worth mentioning until the Queen rocked up. It's one of the problems with the portrayal. Cameron made them all zombies, devoid of any personality.

I don't really get what you mean. They sure werent mindless , just the opposite if thats what you mean, they acted according to the same scheme because its the same creature, if thats what you mean, other than that I dont know

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed