Favorite Alien?

Started by #6.0, Aug 23, 2010, 08:15:07 AM

Not taking design into account, which lead Alien, one important to the story, not cannon fodder was your favorite?

Giger, Alien
19 (50%)
Queen, Aliens
8 (21.1%)
Runner, Alien3
5 (13.2%)
Grid, AVP
2 (5.3%)
Queen, AVP
0 (0%)
Chet, AVPR
2 (5.3%)
Newborn, AR, Do not pick this one to be funny. I just have to let it in. Apperently.
2 (5.3%)
They are all the same to me.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author
Favorite Alien? (Read 18,310 times)

Feral_PRED

Feral_PRED

My favorite is the Giger, Alien.

-alienhunter14

BANE

BANE

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 23, 2010, 01:23:24 PM
It didn't ruin the movie. It was part of the message of it, along with Ripley 8 herself and the failed clones.
Sure, it was part of the message. But in doing so, it ruined the movie, as I said. Or maybe the movie was so bad all the way along, and the newborn was just a period at the end of a sentence...either way, both the movie and the newborn were terrible and unnecessary.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Can't debate with bias; why did it ruin the film? Because it was shit... okay, but why was it shit?

brennan4

brennan4

Quote from: alienhunter14 on Aug 23, 2010, 01:27:59 PM

http://empiresf.free.fr/gifs/alien1.jpg -alienhunter14
Um, that's not the giger alien.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That's the Res Alien.

It's really hard to decide.... :-\ Give me time.

#6.0

#6.0

Quote from: brennan4 on Aug 23, 2010, 04:59:27 PM
Quote from: alienhunter14 on Aug 23, 2010, 01:27:59 PM

http://empiresf.free.fr/gifs/alien1.jpg -alienhunter14
Um, that's not the giger alien.

Yeah, brennan4 is right.

Also, this has nothing to do with design, it has to do with LEAD aliens. the ridged head ones are not lead, they were cannon fodder, if you had read the question, you would know that.

Quote from: Keg on Aug 23, 2010, 01:10:13 PM
My dislike for the predalien goes far beyond that of the newborm. at least the newborn had a genuine excuse and reasoning within the story to be the way it was. the predalien didnt.

WOW.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 23, 2010, 01:23:24 PM
It didn't ruin the movie. It was part of the message of it, along with Ripley 8 herself and the failed clones.
I think you're confusing intention with achievement. People didn't feel sorry for Ripley, the only lesson to be learned about cloning from AR is that it's a crappy plot device in movies, otherwise, Ripley being a clone was nothing but beneficial to her. Regarding the Aliens, they were not identified in the movie as being aberrations, so they're interpretative by many (however wrongly) to be ADI's standard Alien (doesn't help that they repainted the design and switched only the legs for AVP). So the only lesson AR teaches about cloning is that it gives the protagonist a new lease on life and super abilities, and makes ADI create a horribly misinterpreted Alien design. The film would have been better off without it, not the characters. (The Fly had a better message about gene splicing - it showed the downside of the experiment on the experimented, rather than just the extra energy and cool wall climbing).

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

I pick the option that is not in the poll which is RIDGED ALIENS

1) They attack on sight, just like the Runner, but as oppose to the runner, theyre not confused and arent lacking in intelligence so much (Runner fell into the trap twice and in the same way, plus more)
2) They are the smartest one if we go by the movies, they're like a human army and act like soldiers taking tactical decisions and maneuvers
3) They defeated a highly trained and highly equipped marines. Such approach represents how dangerous and terrifying aliens really are because theyre going against military. You cant really see that well when unarmed weaker opponents are facing the alien. If I beat up a smaller, helpless kid it doesnt really show how tough I am. But if I beat up a guy who's armed with knives and sticks and baseball bat than its something else

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Valaquen on Aug 23, 2010, 05:35:57 PM
I think you're confusing intention with achievement.
I'm not. For the 10-12 minutes of screen appearence, the Newborn did achieve what it was intended to do, not in a excellent, flawless way, but still.

People didn't feel sorry for Ripley,
We all know this applies to AR haters/overall dislikers - but no one did a global scale poll.

the only lesson to be learned about cloning from AR is that it's a crappy plot device in movies, otherwise, Ripley being a clone was nothing but beneficial to her.
No it wasn't. She sacrificed herself to destroy this species and she finds herself to be more affine with them. It's a sort of inside-irony.

Regarding the Aliens, they were not identified in the movie as being aberrations,
One would assume after a viewing. Mutated Queen > Mutated Aliens.

The film would have been better off without it, not the characters.
It was the point on which the whole film revolves around. It can't be taken off.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 23, 2010, 06:26:51 PM
I'm not. For the 10-12 minutes of screen appearence, the Newborn did achieve what it was intended to do, not in a excellent, flawless way, but still.
Talking on a general scale, that's never a consensus. So it's not an achievement.

QuoteNo it wasn't. She sacrificed herself to destroy this species and she finds herself to be more affine with them. It's a sort of inside-irony.
She never acts 'close' to them outside of a few puns. She displays nothing monstrous, and in fact seems to enjoy her existence. The only irony it is would be ironic humour.

QuoteOne would assume after a viewing. Mutated Queen > Mutated Aliens.
The only aberration of the Queen's was a womb.

QuoteIt was the point on which the whole film revolves around. It can't be taken off.
It did not revolve around that, it featured but never explored it. It was there to justify the Ripley's appearance, nothing deeper than that.

BANE

BANE

QuoteI'm not. For the 10-12 minutes of screen appearence, the Newborn did achieve what it was intended to do, not in a excellent, flawless way, but still.
No, it didn't. For the 10-12 minutes of on screen appearance, all it did was make me want to take the disc out. And this was the first time I watched it. No message became apparent to me, no lesson taught. Just pure and simple trash that ruins a movie and instills a desire to remove this awful filth from my brand new Sony VCR player.

QuoteWe all know this applies to AR haters/overall dislikers - but no one did a global scale poll.
The majority of people feel this way. I'm sure if you gave a poll asking who sympathized with Hitler, a few people would.

QuoteOne would assume after a viewing. Mutated Queen > Mutated Aliens.
Except the queen only mutated near the end of the film, before dying at the hands of its live-born baby filth thing.

QuoteIt was the point on which the whole film revolves around. It can't be taken off.
So then its the point that sucks and not the newborn?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Valaquen on Aug 23, 2010, 06:35:08 PM
Talking on a general scale, that's never a consensus. So it's not an achievement.
Did it achieve to horrify you with the creation of an Abomination against Nature? It did for sure. Nothing is a consensus about A:R. Hell, nothing is a consensus in any film we can discuss about.

She never acts 'close' to them outside of a few puns.
She feels the Queen suffering; She smiles when the Aliens get free; she refers to the Queen as "her child"; states to be "the Monster's Mother" in front of Purvis.

She displays nothing monstrous, and in fact seems to enjoy her existence.
When?

The only irony it is would be ironic humour.
You spend a life wiping out a species, only to get yourself revived and more affine to them. That's irony.

The only aberration of the Queen's was a womb.
The eggs too.

It did not revolve around that, it featured but never explored it. It was there to justify the Ripley's appearance, nothing deeper than that.
Explored with Ripley 8, failed Clones and Newborn.

Quote from: BLAIN on Aug 23, 2010, 06:35:56 PM
No, it didn't. For the 10-12 minutes of on screen appearance, all it did was make me want to take the disc out. And this was the first time I watched it.
I bet because of its appearence. I wanted too, the first time I watched it.

No message became apparent to me, no lesson taught.
Because you didn't read enough behind it.

The majority of people feel this way.
You don't know it for sure.

I'm sure if you gave a poll asking who sympathized with Hitler, a few people would.
That's a whole world different.

Except the queen only mutated near the end of the film, before dying at the hands of its live-born baby filth thing.
In fact I said after a viewing, which means the whole film. Plus we already had seen the different eggs.

So then its the point that sucks and not the newborn?
Didn't say anything about this. Was responding to Valaquen who said:
The film would have been better off without it, not the characters.
Unless he meant the Newborn and not the Anti-Cloning Plot point. In this case I apologize.

Mus

Mus

Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 23, 2010, 06:25:47 PM

1) They attack on sight, just like the Runner, but as oppose to the runner, theyre not confused and arent lacking in intelligence so much (Runner fell into the trap twice and in the same way, plus more)

Why can't I recall it falling into a trap twice? I watched it like two days ago and can only remember them trying to lure it into that sealed room, only to have the Alien ambush someone, killing half of their men in the process. Later they ran around in the corridors to get it into the lead works, which actually worked.

BANE

BANE

QuoteI bet because of its appearence. I wanted too, the first time I watched it.
That, coupled with the way it acts...everything about the damn thing was just...what's the word I'm looking for...stupid?

QuoteBecause you didn't read enough behind it.
I have rewatched this move so many times in an attempt to like it, and it is the only movie with aliens in them that I have not grown to like. The only one. Despite all my rewatching, and despite all my english lectures hammering into me techniques for analyzing works of literature and art, I never saw said message. I mean, the first time I saw Alien I immediately picked up on the rape undertones that so many people, even in these forums, haven't picked up on. This newborn does such a piss poor job in conveying the message you say it does that I don't hate it because of the tampering that happened to it, nor do I sympathize it: I hate it because it is just plain stupid and not in keeping with anything in the alien franchise. So they may have intended to send one message, but they ended up sending another.

QuoteIn fact I said after a viewing, which means the whole film. Plus we already had seen the different eggs.
The eggs were practically the same as every other alien film. Nothing different in the slightest, save for minute design changes administered by ADI to make them for...lively.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Mus on Aug 23, 2010, 06:49:12 PM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 23, 2010, 06:25:47 PM

Why can't I recall it falling into a trap twice? I watched it like two days ago and can only remember them trying to lure it into that sealed room, only to have the Alien ambush someone, killing half of their men in the process. Later they ran around in the corridors to get it into the lead works, which actually worked.

It didnt kill them, the fire did. It killed one guy and was lucky that this guy started the fire. And he was just standing above him, lucky again he didnt raise his head earlier
It gets caught into the vault and then the led pool. Both times the "food" wants to be chased and he just follows like Scooby Doo villains. So the first time not only it doesnt suspect that somethings wrong and that the guy wants it to follow him into a dead end with no airlocks or a way our, but also ignored people on the side waiting to close the door. And then later on he still follows the people that want to be followed and eventually falls into a trap AGAIN in the same exact way. By the second time I thought it would at least suspect something. Its a far cry from the intelligent creature of the first 2 movies

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed