Predators slaughtering humans in AvP

Started by AlienatedPredator, Aug 04, 2010, 12:59:41 PM

Author
Predators slaughtering humans in AvP (Read 10,061 times)

AlienatedPredator

So, this has probably been discussed a few times but I watched the movie yesterday for the first time in awhile and was wondering about the frenzied slaughter of humans by the predators:

1. On the surface they walk into the building and just start laying waste to the team. Theory: an homage to the Predator 2 penthouse scene; or standard operating procedure (no humans alive on surface to muck things up), or working up some bloodlust in preparation for facing the aliens? Also, in the flashback from 1904, the UNARMED whaler was about to be killed by a predator. Theory: no witnesses? If they're so concerned about wtinesses, why have the hunts on earth?

2. At some point in the movie, the predators somehow know that enough people had been face-hugged to supply game for all 3 of them (how convenient Alexa chose to leave some in the sacrificial chamber  :P); so they systematically go about killing the rest of the team and would have succeeded if Grid hadn't interrupted them. Theory: all humans are potential aliens so must be eliminated (but they didn't seem to operate that way in the flashback scenes and Scar was going to let Weyland live even though he was a potential host). Or, they were just pissed because their plasmacasters had been taken (but Sebastian said they had to kill an alien first BEFORE getting to use the casters, big contradiction)

3. It appears Scar was going to let Lex live even before she killed the alien (again, she was a potential host which contradicts the reasons in the theory from point 2)

So, are there cameras in place all over the pyramid that enable the predators to see what's going on inside - specifically, the sacrificial chamber? Sorry for the rambling nature of this post.

Stalker

Quote from: AlienatedPredator on Aug 04, 2010, 12:59:41 PMOn the surface they walk into the building and just start laying waste to the team. Theory: an homage to the Predator 2 penthouse scene; or standard operating procedure (no humans alive on surface to muck things up), or working up some bloodlust in preparation for facing the aliens? Also, in the flashback from 1904, the UNARMED whaler was about to be killed by a predator. Theory: no witnesses? If they're so concerned about wtinesses, why have the hunts on earth?

The predators' mission was to get their plasma casters & then hunt down the aliens, but they were also killing any humans that got in their way. The surface team were armed & the preds obviously wanted to get them out of the way to prevent them from interfering. The reason why they continued to pursue the others within the pyramid was because they stole their cannons. If all had gone as planned, the hunters would have armed themselves & then proceeded to go after the xenomorphs, but since Sebastian cracked the locking mechanism to their sarcophagus & stole the plasma casters, the predators stalked them in pursuit of their weapons.

Quote from: AlienatedPredator on Aug 04, 2010, 12:59:41 PM
Sebastian said they had to kill an alien first BEFORE getting to use the casters

Sebastian never said that in the movie.

It appears Scar was going to let Lex live even before she killed the alien.

So, are there cameras in place all over the pyramid that enable the predators to see what's going on inside - specifically, the sacrificial chamber?

Firstly, Scar was ready to tear Lex's head off before she got down on her knees & then gave him his plasma caster. She then killed an alien with his dropped combistick which earned some respect from him. He no longer saw her as a target since she basically surrendered.

As far as the predators being able to see the events unfolding in the pyramid, they had holographic projectors in their wrist computers that could display a 3D image of the entire building, including the location of the people inside.

Bishop2

So, this has probably been discussed a few times but I watched the movie yesterday for the first time in awhile and was wondering about the frenzied slaughter of humans by the predators:

1. On the surface they walk into the building and just start laying waste to the team. Theory: an homage to the Predator 2 penthouse scene; or standard operating procedure (no humans alive on surface to muck things up), or working up some bloodlust in preparation for facing the aliens? Also, in the flashback from 1904, the UNARMED whaler was about to be killed by a predator. Theory: no witnesses? If they're so concerned about wtinesses, why have the hunts on earth?

2. At some point in the movie, the predators somehow know that enough people had been face-hugged to supply game for all 3 of them (how convenient Alexa chose to leave some in the sacrificial chamber  :P); so they systematically go about killing the rest of the team and would have succeeded if Grid hadn't interrupted them. Theory: all humans are potential aliens so must be eliminated (but they didn't seem to operate that way in the flashback scenes and Scar was going to let Weyland live even though he was a potential host). Or, they were just pissed because their plasmacasters had been taken (but Sebastian said they had to kill an alien first BEFORE getting to use the casters, big contradiction)

3. It appears Scar was going to let Lex live even before she killed the alien (again, she was a potential host which contradicts the reasons in the theory from point 2)

So, are there cameras in place all over the pyramid that enable the predators to see what's going on inside - specifically, the sacrificial chamber? Sorry for the rambling nature of this post.

1) The humans are guarding the entrance to the pyramid and they're armed. That's pretty much the beginning and the end of it. The humans are directly in their way, so clearly it's wise to just eliminate them. Makes for an easier exit later, too, if you don't have to worry about the armed humans up top as you leave. After all, who knows if you'll be sprinting away from the temple later and have little time to concern yourself with such things?

2) Sebastian never actually states that they have to kill an alien before getting their guns. I do believe they only targeted the humans to get their guns, but it could also be a way of keeping down the alien population. Consider this...

- The Predators can use wrist computers to scan and see heat signatures in the temple. We see them do this. How they can do this? I don't know. It's unclear, but we see them do it, so they DO know where the humans are (although heat scans wouldn't know them where the aliens are, obviously).

- The minute the Predators see the humans step onto the floor panel that wakes up the queen down below, they start running. Where are they in a hurry to go? Why would that make them rush? Well, I think the hunt ritual seems to have some clear stages to it. The heat bloom starts up some of the machinery in the temple, and humans come to the site to investigate. Once the machinery gears up, the Predators are well on their way to Earth. They fire off the laser that cuts through the ice (this seems to be automated), then drop themselves on the site. (Do they wait until humans travel towards the temple, or do they just go because "it's time" - i.e., it's been 100 years? It's not clear.) The Predators arrive, but don't seem to be in a HURRY until the floor panel is stepped on by humans who enter the temple. At this point, the whole waking-the-queen-and-churning-out-eggs thing starts up. This is when they start running... Where to? Probably to get their guns, I assume. So...

- Heat bloom appears from machinery in temple
- Humans arrive, laser fired off, Predators dropped
- Wen the floor panel starts up the egg-process, the Predators are THEN free to head into the temple and try to get their guns.
- Once they reach the gun chamber, anything goes. Kill any/all aliens that may or may not have been born, mark self, get out alive, win.

I think that's roughly the structure of the ritual.

3) Debatable... who knows? Maybe he would've, maybe he wouldn't have, it probably didn't matter because he knew he was going to blow the whole place up by that point. Why would he have already decided that, you ask? Because he knew he was dead - by the time he meets Lex he's already been impregnated, so I'm sure by then he's already planned to just nuke the whole goddamn site. And if he's gonna do that, Lex being alive or dead becomes a lot less important anyway.

BANE

BANE

Bishop2 and Stalker answered your questions perfectly. However, I'm going to nitpick.  ;D

QuoteThe Predators can use wrist computers to scan and see heat signatures in the temple. We see them do this. How they can do this? I don't know. It's unclear, but we see them do it, so they DO know where the humans are (although heat scans wouldn't know them where the aliens are, obviously).

They do not detect heat: it's a holographic representation of the entire pyramid in real time. I don't think it had anything to do with heat.

QuoteDebatable... who knows? Maybe he would've, maybe he wouldn't have, it probably didn't matter because he knew he was going to blow the whole place up by that point. Why would he have already decided that, you ask? Because he knew he was dead - by the time he meets Lex he's already been impregnated, so I'm sure by then he's already planned to just nuke the whole goddamn site. And if he's gonna do that, Lex being alive or dead becomes a lot less important anyway.

One of my questions is why he would even try to escape if he knew he was dead. Its kind of a stupid thing to do, unless either 1) he's a glutton for pain or 2) the predators have technology to remove the embryo, and that is what he hoped to achieve.

Vulhala

I always found it a bit odd they didn't realise he had been impregnated when they took him back aboard the ship. They obviously have the ability to see that kind of thing, as he was able to see Weylands cancer.

Bishop2

Quote from: Vulhala on Aug 04, 2010, 03:21:21 PM
I always found it a bit odd they didn't realise he had been impregnated when they took him back aboard the ship. They obviously have the ability to see that kind of thing, as he was able to see Weylands cancer.

Yeah. That's something that's always bugged me too. When they took him aboard the ship at the end of AVP, I completely believed that they had "harvested" the Predalien INTENTIONALLY, because they knew the alien inside of Scar would make for awesome prey later.

But then AVP:R came out and apparently they never had a clue.

Lame.

BANE

BANE

You know what else pissed me off? The queen was killing the predator when the predator had one of its own inside it. A3 showed us they don't do that.

:o

Vulhala

Shit's f**ked up yo!

Bishop2

Quote from: BLAIN on Aug 04, 2010, 03:53:22 PM
You know what else pissed me off? The queen was killing the predator when the predator had one of its own inside it. A3 showed us they don't do that.

I wondered about that, but then I was reading Superman/Aliens (seriously, I'm gonna bring this into it, and yes, I know it's not canon), where they declared that that only works if the host is carrying a QUEEN. Drones will absolutely not attack a host carrying a queen, but the queen would still attack someone carrying a drone. And I thought, you know what? That make sense...

...and it would totally apply, EXCEPT....

...according to the Strauses, the Predalien WAS a queen...

Nevermind, f**k it.  :-[

BANE

BANE

Alas, we have uncovered yet another blemish on the already ravaged Strause Brother reputation.

Master Chief

Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 04, 2010, 01:59:22 PMThe minute the Predators see the humans step onto the floor panel that wakes up the queen down below, they start running. Where are they in a hurry to go? Why would that make them rush? ....
The Predators started running towards the humans once the weapons were taken from the sarcophagus, which started the pyramid shifting stage of the ritual.

Bishop2

Quote from: Master Chief on Aug 04, 2010, 04:35:50 PM
Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 04, 2010, 01:59:22 PMThe minute the Predators see the humans step onto the floor panel that wakes up the queen down below, they start running. Where are they in a hurry to go? Why would that make them rush? ....
The Predators started running towards the humans once the weapons were taken from the sarcophagus, which started the pyramid shifting stage of the ritual.

Crap. You are right. I remembered incorrectly. Good catch.

MadassAlex

Quote from: BLAIN on Aug 04, 2010, 03:53:22 PM

After Spike jumped out of the molten lead, he was really pissed off, even to the extent of targeting Ripley. What what we've witnessed, an Alien's own survival mechanisms seem to take precedence after a certain point of danger has been passed. For an adult Alien warrior, this seems to be roughly equivalent of ten tons of molten lead. For an Alien queen? One metric f**kton of ice and rubble.

BANE

BANE

Ok, let's rewind then: the aliens that attacked the pred before him and Alexa took the lift to the surface. Still against what A3 said, and at that point they didn't know their lives were over.

MadassAlex

'S a good point.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed