In relation to the first, will this be like Evil Dead 2?

Started by Docta Jekyll, Jul 26, 2007, 04:00:15 AM

Author
In relation to the first, will this be like Evil Dead 2? (Read 690 times)

Docta Jekyll

Here is a quote from a stunt cooridnator(I believe that was his job) Jeff Habberstad "It [AVP 2] absolutely can stand alone, but the story continues to be told."

that quote, it can absolutely stand alone but hte story continues to be told, reminded me of another sequel, Evil Dead 2, anybody who has seen that film understands that its basically a continuation off of the first one, but the beginning of the film allows you to see this film without ever seeing the first, and the beginning is more then just reused footage from the first that brings you up to speed, its an entirely newly filmed shorten version of what basically happens in the first, with a few major differences.

Thats what I personally am hoping for this film to be, I hope that there is an opening which consists of newly filmed stuff and not footage from the first avp, but ends with the same effect, a dead impregnated predator being brought on board a predator ship.

so the story idea of a predalien will continue to be told, giving this the ability to be called a sequel, but the opening, which differentiates from the first film too much to simply be called a re cap, will allow this film to be a completely stand alone film.

I think thats a pretty fair assumption, and the fact that the look of the predator ship and altar bed from AVP were changed pretty drastically for this film, I think it all makes sense, they aren't trying to stick to the look of the ship and bed from AVP for continuity reasons because this is a stand alone film, that happens to work as a sequel.

Anyone esle hoping for/thinking the same thing?

I hope I'm right, I hope I never have to watch AVP again.

SM

I dunno about Evil Dead 2.  Aliens would be a better comparison.  They explain the first film in the opening 10 minutes, then we're off.  This one may not even need to explain AvP.

Docta Jekyll

yeah, but when you explain the first film, it feels like something happened that you missed, and you want to see the first film, with the evil dead 2 way of things, you do not need to see the first film at all to be completely into the story of the 2nd

SM

I always got the impression that Evil Dead 2 effectively re-wrote the first one.  In the first one wasn't there a bunch of people with Ash, but in the second it was just Ash and his girlfriend?

Docta Jekyll

yes, but after the first 7 minutes or so, the film hits the ending point of the first film, which was the thing coming straight toward a screaming ash, and the story continues, and there are a bunch of new characters that end up showing up, and a lot of different stuff happens.

some call ED2 a remake, and some a sequel, I hope the same will work for AsVP

Uncanny Antman

I know what you mean...Evil Dead 2 is a sort of remake-sequel hybrid, and it'd be nice if AvP2 did a similar thing so that we can further ignore AvP.

Won't happen though, I'll wager.

It'll be more like Alien3's approach.  A true sequel, but one that ignores design decisions from the previous film whenever they feel like it.  :)

Docta Jekyll

I know its unlikely, but Habberstad's quote gives me some sort of hope that I will never have to watch AVP, or show it to anybody, again, in order for them to understand the set up and whats going on in AsVP

Highland

yeah, i always seen Evil dead 2 as a kind of, " that was sh*t i can do better" , from what i remember they were totally different styles, one was almost a comedy, where as the first (again if i remember) was total serious.

I dont think that'll work here, I think he just means like Alien/Aliens/A3 you dont need to watch the others to understand whats going on. You can stick them on and enjoy. But they are part of a sequence of events.

Docta Jekyll

yeah, your right about the styles, but I really do hope this film is done the same way as ED2, that would be a gift from god, I'm sure it doesnt mean that much to some of you, but this film being able to stand alone and be the first official real respectful to other franchises not connected to first crap film AVP would be a dream come true for me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed