Space jockey from an "underwater world". wtf?

Started by Ballzanya, Jul 18, 2010, 12:36:05 AM

Author
Space jockey from an "underwater world". wtf? (Read 8,575 times)

AirAssault7

Quote from: Cap. Fitzgerald on Jul 19, 2010, 05:33:28 AM
Quote from: deuterium on Jul 19, 2010, 03:59:47 AM
Quote from: Ballzanya on Jul 18, 2010, 12:36:05 AM
according to this, that's what's going on:
http://fusionfilter.com/?p=8033

In that article/link, they attribute the following quote to Ridley Scott:

Quote"They got me going about this wonderful planet which is out near the big gas, you know those massive gas columns that we discovered about 20 years ago," Scott said. "Just to the side of that, there's this wonderful planet called Europa. Around that is Io and Zeta II Reticuli. We're going back to Zeta II Reticuli."

Now, either they mis-quoted the poor man, or Ridley Scott's seriously needs to bone up on his Astronomy/Cosmology.  The massive gas columns he is referring to is most likely the famous Hubble imagery of the Eagle Nebula, which is a stellar nursery.  The famous Hubble image has been dubbed "The Pillars of Creation".  Here is a link to the image:

The Eagle nebula is approximately 7,000 Light years from our own solar system.  And of course, Europa and Io are Jovian (Jupiter) satellites, which obviously are in our own Solar System.  Zeta II Reticuli is a binary system, and is nowhere near the Eagle Nebula, and nowhere near are own solar system (although it is a lot closer then the Eagle Nebula).  Zeta II Reticuli is in the Constellation Reticulum, and is 39 light years away.  Europa and Io, and Zeta II Reticuli have absolutely nothing to do with each other, and Zeta II Reticuli is far, far away.  To put things in perspective, if Earth was scaled down to the size of a quarter (one inch diameter), with all other distances shrunk in the same ratio, then Zeta Reticuli would be 444,500 miles away from the quarter.  I'm not sure how Ridley could have gotten such basic astronomical concepts so wrong...unless he was mis-quoted.
Holy fricken shi!. Thats insanely wrong. I really hope he was misquoted.
My simple guess would be that maybe he was talking about the general direction in the sky using a telescope. NASA may have shown him images of the general sector.

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Mr. Domino on Jul 20, 2010, 12:44:50 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 20, 2010, 12:36:27 AM
Hmmm, blue mist from Alien coming into play a little?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Ridley calls up Roger and Pete asking "say, do you two still have that laser light I borrowed back in '79 mucking about in a warehouse or something?"

He borrowed that thing from The Who, you know.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Ridley is jibbering about the pillars of 'black smokers' - columns of volcanic matter venting out at the sea bed - that could potentially start life in the depths of the ocean on Europa (a moon of Jupiter, the big gas giant in our solar system). Isolated life forms exist here on Earth at ocean depths where sunlight and oxygen atmosphere are effectivley zero so the theory is that black smoker activity on other planets with liquid water and core volcanic activity could result in organic life.

It is slighly worrying that he is contemplating explaining the development of the alien through terrestrial science and evolution. I would far rather it was forever...well...alien!

ShadowPred

Thankfully we aren't getting any underwater bullshit.

I am not liking Ridley saying that the Jockey was in a giant suit the whole time.

Upchuck

I'm probably in the minority here, but I like the idea of the Jockies being aquatic. If they end up getting Giger on board, can you imagine some of the weird shit they'll have swimming around?

MadassAlex

Not seeing any issues with Jockeys being aquatic, myself.

It's something I never considered before and makes the Derelict a whole lot creepier, knowing that at least parts of it are dead, dried-out versions of what it used to be. It's almost as if the Nostromo were exploring the corpse of some ancient god.

Alien Drone 531

to be honest i like the idea of the underwater stuff, i don't know why, but i always loved the aliens in water. them just swimming around is so creepy.....i don't know why though.....

Alexa Chung

Quote from: MadassAlex on Jul 21, 2010, 04:36:53 PM
It's almost as if the Nostromo were exploring the corpse of some ancient god.

Yeah well hold that thought because the Jockeys now live on pastoral worlds. Apparently the whole thing will be filmed in the locations Scott used in A Good Year.

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: MadassAlex on Jul 21, 2010, 04:36:53 PM
It's almost as if the Nostromo were exploring the corpse of some ancient god.

My Lovecraftian senses are tingling now.

Kev Loaf

The Jockey is very Clthu (HP Lovercraft) inspired so the \"under water home planet\" theme is not that crazy to me.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

To those of you who are now expecting underwater jockeys, I do apologize. I read the other part after making the thread.

DaddyYautja

OMG!!
Alien: The Voyage Home II

We find out what happens to the whales! They evolve into the Space Jockeys and to get revenge for what man did to them they engineer the Xenomorph!! But they get loose before the Space Whales get to earth and crash land.

SM

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 20, 2010, 08:56:33 PM
Quote from: Mr. Domino on Jul 20, 2010, 12:44:50 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 20, 2010, 12:36:27 AM
Hmmm, blue mist from Alien coming into play a little?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Ridley calls up Roger and Pete asking "say, do you two still have that laser light I borrowed back in '79 mucking about in a warehouse or something?"

He borrowed that thing from The Who, you know.

The only surviving members of which are called Roger and Pete.

SpaceMarines

That is also true. They are my favourite band, as well.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jul 30, 2010, 09:10:42 PM
OMG!!
Alien: The Voyage Home II

We find out what happens to the whales! They evolve into the Space Jockeys and to get revenge for what man did to them they engineer the Xenomorph!! But they get loose before the Space Whales get to earth and crash land.

And the Russian one gets arrested for looking for nuclear wessels!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed