Homage's **spoilers**

Started by shakermakerman, Jul 09, 2010, 10:01:21 PM

Author
Homage's **spoilers** (Read 14,408 times)

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

The burning skull never came off as an alien skull to me. Looked more like the top jaw of a crocodilian.

Didn't mind any of the homages really. In fact the Hanzo duel music made me grin in the theater.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: shakermakerman on Jul 10, 2010, 11:54:08 AM
Quote from: Xenodog on Jul 10, 2010, 11:16:05 AM
Quote from: CEP on Jul 10, 2010, 10:08:43 AM
Sorry about raping you...but it IS 5:00....you see...so....
You just won the Internets.  :D

But come on! For Christ's sake, did the homages really ruin the movie!? I thought they were nice touches that were nods to previous films, why do you all hate them so much!
Saying that the entire film was a rip-off because of a few homages and was un-original is completely over-exaggerating.

Because of course, we've ALWAYS seen Pred dogs or Black predators before all the time, so they're completely un-original!
Samurai vs Predator? Ha! Unoriginal.
Predator v Predators fight in film? Unoriginal.
Pred UAV Falcon? Unoriginal.

Yeah...those was sarcasm.
Now lighten up and enjoy the damn movie.

Samurai vs Predator- that fight scene has been done in countless movies, they way it started to they way it ended, a true facepalm moment.

Predator v Predators fight- didnt see a fight, i saw a classic Predator get owned.

Pred UAV Falcon- was only in the movie for ooh about 30 seconds? but yes original.

Funny, because I've never seen a Samurai vs Predator ever. Plus everyone else seemed to enjoy it.
And you must be blind then, because Classic still put up a decent resistance, even if he did lose.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

To me, the homages stood out more than they did in either AVP film.

Doesn't make it worse than the AVP films.

Dusk

Dusk

I don't mind homages as long as they are kept minimal and aren't blatant rip-offs. In Predators, it took me out of the Movie a couple times, because I was like "Seen that." "Yup, seen that too." "Oh, come on, enough already."

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Am I the only one who liked the "Aliens" soundtrack hints? I really loved those it brought a great deal of atmosphere with it.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Xenodog on Jul 10, 2010, 06:39:50 PM
Quote from: shakermakerman on Jul 10, 2010, 11:54:08 AM
Quote from: Xenodog on Jul 10, 2010, 11:16:05 AM
Quote from: CEP on Jul 10, 2010, 10:08:43 AM
Sorry about raping you...but it IS 5:00....you see...so....
You just won the Internets.  :D

But come on! For Christ's sake, did the homages really ruin the movie!? I thought they were nice touches that were nods to previous films, why do you all hate them so much!
Saying that the entire film was a rip-off because of a few homages and was un-original is completely over-exaggerating.

Because of course, we've ALWAYS seen Pred dogs or Black predators before all the time, so they're completely un-original!
Samurai vs Predator? Ha! Unoriginal.
Predator v Predators fight in film? Unoriginal.
Pred UAV Falcon? Unoriginal.

Yeah...those was sarcasm.
Now lighten up and enjoy the damn movie.

Samurai vs Predator- that fight scene has been done in countless movies, they way it started to they way it ended, a true facepalm moment.

Predator v Predators fight- didnt see a fight, i saw a classic Predator get owned.

Pred UAV Falcon- was only in the movie for ooh about 30 seconds? but yes original.

Funny, because I've never seen a Samurai vs Predator ever. Plus everyone else seemed to enjoy it.

The way the fight started, played out, and ended, is something that has been done so many f**king times.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

The homages didn't quite 'ruin' the movie for me, I mean I really enjoyed all of the new stuff and the creative efforts as much as everybody else, but in a movie that I'm sitting on the fence about, throw in TOO MANY homages (especially after a movie like AvP:R) and they will shove the movie from A-B grade to a C-D grade.

It seemed like a great movie with awesome performances, so why the homages?  Homages are the weakest sort of plot device you can use to appeal to fans, it just makes you seem desperate or that you, being the director or producer or whatever, are a fanboy yourself, more concerned with throwing in every reference you can to the other films to ensure loyalty then in having confidence in your own creative new work.

They are always cheesy, if you use more than one or so a movie.  Terminator 2, 1 homage, also done well and steeped in emotion.  Terminator: Salvation?  More than one, and they made people cringe.  That's my comparison, and I just think a movie like Predators should have more self-respect than to use so many homages.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed