Homage's **spoilers**

Started by shakermakerman, Jul 09, 2010, 10:01:21 PM

Author
Homage's **spoilers** (Read 14,501 times)

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

Any else getting annoyed with the homage's? I really thought that this would be a movie in its own right but every time i saw/heard a homage i really started to cringe, and a lot of camara shots seemed to mimic Predator too, there was even a shot of a plant that looked like the one in predator that had the pred blood on it. Oh and when one of the soldier's was doing his Billy impression good lord.

just make 1 or 2 then make your own god dam movie.. rant over lol

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

They were too noticeable, to be honest.
But I'm still confused, according to my Dad, the Hanzo/Falconer fight itself is a homage?

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: RazorSlash on Jul 09, 2010, 10:19:19 PM
But I'm still confused, according to my Dad, the Hanzo/Falconer fight itself is a homage?

It is. The Billy vs Predator fight from the first film. At least the set up that is and they used the same musical cue from the first film's score.

darthmaul1

darthmaul1

Quote from: echobbase79 on Jul 09, 2010, 10:21:24 PM
Quote from: RazorSlash on Jul 09, 2010, 10:19:19 PM

It is. The Billy vs Predator fight from the first film. At least the set up that is and they used the same musical cue from the first film's score.

Exactly.  I didn't mind these homages they were good and not as lame as avp-r!! But Royce yelling "come on I'm here kill me come on do it now!!" that was dumb.  Predator 2 didn't do that besides the ugly mother f*cker line.

Keg

Keg

i didnt think the homages were any worse than other films. it isnt anything new. all four terminator films include both "come with me if you want to live" and 2ill be back". A few sentences out of an entire movie doesnt spoil my enjoyment of it.

creature creator

creature creator

yhea i don't see the problem with this either, it are just some lines so what!

JB

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

I like that the Ugly Mother F***er line was said in Russian. it was a nice touch.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Jul 09, 2010, 10:39:51 PM
I like that the Ugly Mother F***er line was said in Russian. it was a nice touch.

Whoa, was that right before he blew himself up? I don't remember seeing any subtitles.  :-\

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: First Blood on Jul 09, 2010, 11:03:39 PM

Whoa, was that right before he blew himself up? I don't remember seeing any subtitles.  :-\

Yeah, that scene. And yeah, there weren't.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: HybridNewborn on Jul 09, 2010, 11:06:28 PM
Quote from: First Blood on Jul 09, 2010, 11:03:39 PM

Yeah, that scene. And yeah, there weren't.

Ah, thanks. :)

Keg

Keg

putting subtitles in would have been even cornier than just saying it in english so they wisely left them out. that scene in itself felt like an homage to Aliens when Vasquez and Gorman are in the tunnel.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

The references and everything may have been noticeable, but at least they weren't so in your face.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Oh the homages annoyed the living hell out of me, half of the damn movie was a homage!

In my opinion, I think anyone who knows the difference between a good sequel and a bad knows that the maximum number of homages that you might be able to get away with in a sequel is one.  I thought Rodriguez knew this, especially after AvP:R which was a horrible homage trainwreck disaster.

I will list the things that I remember:

- Music, almost entire soundtrack (not a big deal, but not really new either.)
- Nikolai using the minigun.
- "What the hell are you?"  Royce
- Hanzo/Falconer fight (the beginning, Billy all day)
- "Kill me, I'm here!" Royce
- "If it comes to that, I'll do us both." Isabelle.  From Aliens, WTF?
- Backstory of Dutch's team and Predator 1 + Royce in mud (homage, but also a genuine addition to the story, kind of cool I think.)
+ Forgot "The enemy of my enemy..."  Royce, AvP homage for the fail!

Another thing that had me cringing was the falling into the water scene, it just looked so much like Arnold's falling scene in Predator.

That's all I can remember, but holy cow.  Dear screenplay writers, if you would like your movie to be taken seriously, do not use more than one homage to a previous film.  Please, for the love of god.  I feel that removing all of this crap and replacing with original things would have done nothing but help the movie.  I really enjoyed the "I'm alive" saying that Noland and Royce used, very fitting to the film and the Predator theme in general.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Funny.

As flawed as AvP was, it did quite a few things right. The way it referenced previous films was one of those things.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: MadassAlex on Jul 10, 2010, 12:33:42 AM
Funny.

As flawed as AvP was, it did quite a few things right. The way it referenced previous films was one of those things.

Are you serious?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed