Author
AVP Plothole (Read 6,304 times)

ian36015

ian36015

Never thought of that..Sounds realistic. Forgot about Lex. LoL

Meathead320

Meathead320

Maledoro,

Good point on them not believing Lex. I could also see a few survivors of a "small town" incident not being believed either. Especially by the general public.

BUT, there may be some existing satellite photos of Preds, or even the Queen from the final fight that may have been pinched off by Weyland industries.

So there may be a "hmmm" going on somewhere. Not that they are likely to open their yaps about it.

Then Lex shows up with "wild stories", but consistent with satellite photos. Throw in a passed lie detector test.

I am sure even if the company puts on a public face of "she is crazy"; there will still be a hidden agenda to investigate further.

Maybe the whole reason for a company research policy about extra terrestrial signals needing to be investigated?

maledoro

maledoro

You know what a nuclear explosion would look like on a satellite telemetry? A big, white, blurry flash. For all they know, it was another explosion like the one that took place on Bouvet Island back on September 22, 1979. No one knows which government was responsible for that. I'm sure that Weyland Industries would not want to snoop around those parts for fear of tangling with the American government or another country's military. Not to mention that the Norwegians would be pissed about the Company's trespassing.

As for the Company's policy to investigate "systematized transmissions", I think that Ash was exaggerating when he had said that in order to provide a sturdier anchor to his argument. If the Company would have such a mandate, it would be illegal. To have ships knowingly stop and investigate a warning would possibly put humans in harm's way and is therefore unlawful.

Meathead320

Meathead320

I'm not saying just an explosion, I am saying afterward. The fight with the Queen, Predator, and Lex.

All of that can be captured in good detail with a satellite.

Today we can get such good intelligence from satellites that we can pick out individual faces.

Weyland industries could be ahead in that area of technology, and managed to a get a decent look at the Queen, the Predator, and even the Pred ship at the end.

All of which they would be very interested in.

Now as far as Ash wanting to exaggerate company policy in order to get the expedition down there, perhaps.

We have no idea what laws are like in that time and place, and they were originally told, by ash I am presuming, that is was a distress signal, not a warning.

It was only when it was too late that Ripley discovered it to have been a warning.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Meathead320 on Jan 15, 2007, 07:04:06 PM
I'm not saying just an explosion, I am saying afterward. The fight with the Queen, Predator, and Lex.

All of that can be captured in good detail with a satellite.
If it were. Most likely, the Company had the satellite move on to other areas to see what else is happening.

Today we can get such good intelligence from satellites that we can pick out individual faces.
Not all satellites. It's unlikely that Weyland would have one as powerful as the military's. Not to mention why a robotics manufacturer would need a satellite, anyway.

Weyland industries could be ahead in that area of technology, and managed to a get a decent look at the Queen, the Predator, and even the Pred ship at the end.
I'll believe it when I hear it. But, until then...

Now as far as Ash wanting to exaggerate company policy in order to get the expedition down there, perhaps.

We have no idea what laws are like in that time and place, and they were originally told, by ash I am presuming, that is was a distress signal, not a warning.
But the Company knew all along that it was a warning and reprogrammed the computer to be convinced that it was a distress signal and had Ash onboard to back up the lie.

As for laws, how likely do you really think it would be if a government passed a law saying that it's alright for a company to bring harm to its employees for the company's financial gain? Those politicians wouldn't even be impeached as they would be lynched in the streets by angry mobs.

It was only when it was too late that Ripley discovered it to have been a warning.
A warning that didn't tell the Company that we had encountered this species before on Earth...

Meathead320

Meathead320

Quote from: maledoroAs for laws, how likely do you really think it would be if a government passed a law saying that it's alright for a company to bring harm to its employees for the company's financial gain?

Ever heard of Halliburton?

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Meathead320 on Jan 16, 2007, 01:55:25 AM
Quote from: maledoroAs for laws, how likely do you really think it would be if a government passed a law saying that it's alright for a company to bring harm to its employees for the company's financial gain?

Ever heard of Halliburton?
The word you skated by is "legal". Sure, Halliburton may have put people in harm's way, but would you show me how it was done blatantly and legally?

yautja99

yautja99

I know in AVP2 Xenomorphs will be running around a small town.

yautja99

yautja99

I hate this Plothole so much cant they stop making Xenomorphs be on Earth this early.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

earth gets pretty much destroyed eventually anyway if you watch the alternate cut of Alien Resurrection.  I think that Ripley was more afraid of the Aliens destroying humanity, than earth per say, because Humans had already colonized many different worlds.

SM

SM

Quoteearth gets pretty much destroyed eventually anyway if you watch the alternate cut of Alien Resurrection.

PARIS has been destroyed, and southern Africa is uninhabited (as too is central Australia apparently), but there would be significant human habitation otherwise Call wouldn't have been trying to save it.

Vader the White

Vader the White

Quote from: Meathead320 on Jan 15, 2007, 05:00:47 PM

Does any one here think that Weyland-Yutani did know about the alien before A1?

I did. They happened to know about for Alien to be able to Ash on board and know about what the derilct signal really was.

SM

SM

No the Company knew about a hostile organism the Jockies were warning people to stay away from.  There's no proof they knew about the Alien with a capital A.

SiL

SiL

The novel only goes so far as to say the Derelict gave a detailed description of the creature, but not that it matched any existing recorded organisms. Ash was spilling the beans, why would he hide it?

Newsfop

Newsfop

Lex has one remaining shred of evidence, maybe two. She's got the telescoping spear given to her by the elder. And if she's treated quickly enough, there may be a chance for medical staff to swab her scar to test for the chemical makeup of what caused her skin deformity.

As for satellite observation, such things as clouds prevent one from seeing activity. And the second thing is you can only pick up ground activity when the satellite is specifically told to do so. Generally when you unearth an ancient pyramid, you're not exactly expecting anything to still be alive.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed