Remember that crappy computer in the begining of Alien?

Started by Ash 937, May 26, 2010, 04:10:30 AM

Author
Remember that crappy computer in the begining of Alien? (Read 11,019 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Alien classifies as alternate universe simply because of the creature. The Aliens, Facehuggers, Queens, etc. don't exist. But in that universe, they do.

Puks

Do Klingons and Vulcans exist?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

No.
Star Trek also is alternate reality.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on May 26, 2010, 12:58:42 PM
No.

true, we'd have transparent aluminum by now if it was our reality

Puks

Quote from: OmegaZilla on May 26, 2010, 12:58:42 PM
No.

Then why does it acknowledge all of mankind's previous history?

Also, you don't know if aliens exist. We might know in the future.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Puks on May 26, 2010, 01:25:47 PM
Then why does it acknowledge all of mankind's previous history?
Alternate reality doesn't mean there can't be similarities between the two.

Quote from: Puks on May 26, 2010, 01:25:47 PM
Also, you don't know if aliens exist. We might know in the future.
With Alien I strictly point the Necronomicon Monsters. Which don't, and mainly can't, exist. :P

Puks

Puks

This needs a poll.  :D

Edit: Would you mind starting a thread in the Alien movies section? I can't figure out how to add a poll.  :D

*points at self*

Goddamn n00b!

i'm going to have to side with Zilla on this one, just because something is set in the future doesn't make it our reality,
a prime example is jurrasic park, since it was set in the present day that made it alternate reality fiction according to you Puks, but if it was set 10 years in the future that makes it science fiction in our reality? what happens when future events in the timeline in a book or movie begins to happen in the past.

at what point did 2001: A Space Odyssey, or Forever War, or Soylent Green, stop being our reality and became another?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Puks on May 26, 2010, 01:36:06 PM
Edit: Would you mind starting a thread in the Alien movies section? I can't figure out how to add a poll.  :D
Ya Rly. ;)

SiL

Quote from: Puks on May 26, 2010, 12:36:04 PM
From my experience, 486s were just as (if not more) capable of complete break-downs as are quad-core computers of today.
Just cos it looks like shit doesn't mean it's not awesome under the hood.

Quotebut I still can't imagine WY would use 14 inch CRT with primitive keyboards on a friggin' space ship.
They've just spent 42 million dollars on a space-ship. You really think it's too much a stretch to say they didn't want to cut costs wherever possible?

This is the Company that will use people like cattle. I'm pretty sure they don't give a shit if the keys are a bit clunky.

QuoteI just beg you - admit it looks that way because it's dated. Please. That's all I'm asking.
Ridley Scott planned on having really, really thin screens and stuff like that.

He went with what we got instead.

It looks the way it does because it was made in the 70s, yes. But calling it dated would imply I think it looks incorrect by some modern standard. I don't.

Some Mothers Do Have Em!

As stated...it is wiser to keep things simple in space, especially when you are a million miles from anywhere. Apollo 13 anyone?

Highland

Well who's got time to type commands and push buttons on DOS when there's an Alien on a harpoon flying through your windshield? Simple yes, but efficient? no.

Voice activated ships would surely be the way forward with the manual option only a last resort. I like the Avatar machine suit idea though.

RumorControl

Why are we criticizing movies for not being able to predict technology 30 years into the future?  I'm sure that 50 years from now we'll look at Minority Report and laugh at its stupid touchscreen technology when in fact people will be using testicle controlled-PCs or something.

Highland

Quote from: RumorControl on May 26, 2010, 11:05:08 PM
Why are we criticizing movies for not being able to predict technology 30 years into the future?  I'm sure that 50 years from now we'll look at Minority Report and laugh at its stupid touchscreen technology when in fact people will be using testicle controlled-PCs or something.

It's more of a pickle about how you make something look older than that for the prequel?

Not than anyone will give a shit apart from Alien fans.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed