Old school predator (Spoiler)

Started by Milan, Mar 19, 2010, 12:40:27 PM

Author
Old school predator (Spoiler) (Read 56,221 times)

Veteran Warrior

Quote from: Ijapa on Mar 24, 2010, 04:19:46 AM
I see the whole thing similar to Openmaw. Think about what human hunters do: they sit in trees with piss on themselves and blow deers' hearts out through their chests from 500 yards with bullets specifically designed for maximum killing power.

Then they come back and show their buddies the thing's ten point rack and everybody "oohs" and "ahhhs."

Then there are some hunters who'll use a compound bow because guns are too easy.

Either way, Predators (the clan or clans we've seen anyway) are depicted as hunters and not as ancient samurai who issue challenges and meet at such and such place at such and such time and have a duel. That's not a hunter-prey dynamic.

Sure, the Elder gave Harrigan the pistol, but that's not honor, that's the equivalent of a human hunter shooting an albino lion and missing and then saying, "Hell, you're somethin' special, maybe you deserve to be free and regal and beautiful and, uh, alive."

http://avp.ugo.com/images/top-fights/predator-vs-mike-harrigan.jpg
Free, regal, beautiful, alive

By inserting a make-believe code you're making them more Scar-like than Anytime like. Predators, insofar as we've seen, appear to relish inducing panic and inflicting pain. Predators are big pussy-faced crybaby sore loser assholes.

And I love it because it makes them great villains. So would a wounded, defeated, bruisy-ego'd Predator accept help to get revenge? Hell yeah it would, just like it's so resentful of losing a fight it'd blow itself up. All that said, some Predators are probably actually out-and-out nice Predguys. They're a galactic-faring species, someone has got to be a philosopher or some shit.

I like this post, it makes sense when you analyze the pred race

bobcunk

bobcunk

Quote from: Veteran Warrior on Mar 24, 2010, 03:43:29 PM
I see the whole thing similar to Openmaw. Think about what human hunters do: they sit in trees with piss on themselves and blow deers' hearts out through their chests from 500 yards with bullets specifically designed for maximum killing power.

Then they come back and show their buddies the thing's ten point rack and everybody "oohs" and "ahhhs."

Then there are some hunters who'll use a compound bow because guns are too easy.

Either way, Predators (the clan or clans we've seen anyway) are depicted as hunters and not as ancient samurai who issue challenges and meet at such and such place at such and such time and have a duel. That's not a hunter-prey dynamic.

Sure, the Elder gave Harrigan the pistol, but that's not honor, that's the equivalent of a human hunter shooting an albino lion and missing and then saying, "Hell, you're somethin' special, maybe you deserve to be free and regal and beautiful and, uh, alive."

By inserting a make-believe code you're making them more Scar-like than Anytime like. Predators, insofar as we've seen, appear to relish inducing panic and inflicting pain. Predators are big pussy-faced crybaby sore loser assholes.

And I love it because it makes them great villains. So would a wounded, defeated, bruisy-ego'd Predator accept help to get revenge? Hell yeah it would, just like it's so resentful of losing a fight it'd blow itself up. All that said, some Predators are probably actually out-and-out nice Predguys. They're a galactic-faring species, someone has got to be a philosopher or some shit.

i agrea they must have scientists and stuff on there planet, and im shure there not all evil hunters. thats why the teamup didnt bother me in avp. if this were startrek there would be a pred on the enterprise.

Raptor

Raptor

Disagree completly about everything but that just me though.

I do think they have Honor,thats the impression Anytime,Pussyface,Scar,and the Elders gave me.

Maybe Im wrong to you but for me it makes more sense that way that the other alternative that they are just cold blooded assholes that doesnt care for anything but themselves.

Why they dont kill womans,children unarmed persons?

Why they take the fallen comrades if they not blow themselves?

HONOR.

you are free to disagree though but that will not change my view of seeing it.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Raptor on Mar 25, 2010, 04:59:15 PM

I do think they have Honor,thats the impression Anytime,Pussyface,Scar,and the Elders gave me.

Maybe Im wrong to you but for me it makes more sense that way that the other alternative that they are just cold blooded assholes that doesnt care for anything but themselves.

HONOR.

How in the blue Hell is it honorable to hide in the tree's and shoot at people that have no idea you're there? Unless you're at war and its about winning at all costs, what kind of honor is that? Being sporting works just fine for the Predators.

Opinion is fine, but when it flies in the face of reason it must be challenged.

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

According to some actions the predator took during the first film, I'd say they don't hunt just for the fun of it.
Reason is only the 107 minutes you can watch. Explanation is everyone's own business. Honor or sport don't match my opinion. But it doesn't make it less than anyone's, since that's an opinion too. And it works for everyone... just to mention.

Dusk

Dusk

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 25, 2010, 06:22:25 PM
How in the blue Hell is it honorable to hide in the tree's and shoot at people that have no idea you're there?

Apparently it's all forgiven and forgotten, as long as the Predator beats you to death with his bare hands or hands you a prize when you survived. They can act like the biggest ***holes and cowards, as long as there is a mildy relatable gesture at the end, they are honorable Samurais. Even though they usually hunt you cloaked from higher ground.

Raptor

Raptor

HONOR.

How in the blue Hell is it honorable to hide in the tree's and shoot at people that have no idea you're there? Unless you're at war and its about winning at all costs, what kind of honor is that? Being sporting works just fine for the Predators.

Well for start they are hunters are they not?

Do you expect them to go "Hello everyone Im here to hunt you down,I tought I needed to introduce myself because thats the honorable thing to do"

That ahd nothing to do with being honorable or not.

If they were not Anytime wouldve plasma shoot at Dutch laughing his ass off when he was down plain and simple,there is no defying reason at all about that to me.

tom288

tom288

Actually hunters rarely make shots past 150 yards.  They're certainly on the closer side of things when it comes to tree stands

You can maintain the hunter-prey relationship because unlike humans and deer, predators hunting humans involves 2 sentient species.  Predators hunt creatures that essentially "hunt the Predators" in turn.  That inherently involves a degree of respect.  Harrigan received the pistol because he killed the creature hunting him.  If it was merely acceptable to let Harrigan live then the Elder would have simply walked off.  The shot actually demonstrates this by having the Elder turn to leave and actually pause before turning around and awarding Harrigan a trophy.  The Elder awarding the trophy to Harrigan also illustrates the fact that Harrigan, as a sentient species, can be a part of the same code/system that the Predators themselves hunt by.  He bested his foe, thus he gets rewarded/

They enjoy the hunt, the violence, and the kill.  But you can't argue that they do not operate using at least a basic code.  They don't hunt the young, they don't kill pregnant females.  Honor may not be the best word to use, as it is a loaded term, but there is a sense of code that the hunters follow.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: bobcunk on Mar 25, 2010, 04:30:07 PM
Quote from: Veteran Warrior on Mar 24, 2010, 03:43:29 PM

i agrea they must have scientists and stuff on there planet, and im shure there not all evil hunters. thats why the teamup didnt bother me in avp. if this were startrek there would be a pred on the enterprise.

Well, showing a Pred that you can fight doesn't make you an ally, it makes you a target.
Watch Predator 1 and 2 if you don't believe me.
When Lex killed that alien she would have become a target...

...And If there was a Pred on the Enterprise he'll be hunting it's crew members.

HONOR.

Well, a Predator can sneak into a children's hospital and start eating on a kid mortally sick with Cancer and be Honorable, because he doesn't break the "code".

There sense of honor or fair play ain't like ours.
I think that the skinned body's left behind is a sign to show us and other Predators that a Hunter is there and that this Predator have claimed the territory for his hunt.

Master

Master

Skins are the trophy just like skulls. Bodys left after skinning are just leftover ::)

Dark Passenger

why the hell do people think predators are honourable warriors?

they are HUNTERS which means its not like they are forced to go out and kill. they do it because its fun.

warriors with honour such as samurai fight for their lord and their country.
predators wouldnt have such a thing.
theyre not into war, they just like to kill.

spinksy

spinksy

Quote from: Dark Passenger on Mar 25, 2010, 11:04:01 PM

they are HUNTERS which means its not like they are forced to go out and kill. they do it because its fun.

Well said!!

Milan

Milan

Quote from: Dark Passenger on Mar 25, 2010, 11:04:01 PM

If you do something for "fun" it usually isn't a matter of life or death, if you like to fish for fun you wouldn't commit sueside if you didn't get any fish that day, or if you had one but it got away.
It would upset you, maybe...but you wouldn't strap a bomb on your chest and jump into the lake, killing yourself and all the fish within the blast radius.
If you however did that, the last thing I would think is that you were a dude who was just fishing for fun...

Quote from: Master on Mar 25, 2010, 10:55:01 PM
Skins are the trophy just like skulls. Bodys left after skinning are just leftover ::)

Maybe, but we had 4 movies with the Predator and none have showed us what they do with the skins,
Only that they leave the skinned bodys hanging.
And I think that they leave them like this for someone to find, if that someone had any knowledge about them then it would be a sign that a Predator is operating in that area, otherwise why would they leave that behind when they do make an effort in hiding the fact that they are here?
So the logical reason for me is that the "skinning" is a custom used for them telling us that it's hunting season in that area, or that they claimed that area for hunting. It's not a warning towards the prey, it's a statement.

AvP, didn't have any skinned bodys but those hunters weren't like Anytime or Pussyface.
They went to the Pyramid to become legit. Maybe they weren't allowed to skin their prey.

Dark Passenger

QuoteIf you do something for "fun" it usually isn't a matter of life or death, if you like to fish for fun you wouldn't commit sueside if you didn't get any fish that day, or if you had one but it got away.
It would upset you, maybe...but you wouldn't strap a bomb on your chest and jump into the lake, killing yourself and all the fish within the blast radius.
If you however did that, the last thing I would think is that you were a dude who was just fishing for fun...

well first of all we arent predators so we dont have their mind-set.

and second of all the predators hunt prey that can fight back, i can hardly imagine fish can fire projectiles at us.

now if we were hunting something dangerous like a lion or bear im sure being in an even fight would be the last thing you'd want.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: Dark Passenger on Mar 25, 2010, 11:50:36 PM
QuoteIf you do something for "fun" it usually isn't a matter of life or death, if you like to fish for fun you wouldn't commit sueside if you didn't get any fish that day, or if you had one but it got away.

well first of all we arent predators so we dont have their mind-set.

and second of all the predators hunt prey that can fight back, i can hardly imagine fish can fire projectiles at us.

now if we were hunting something dangerous like a lion or bear im sure being in an even fight would be the last thing you'd want.

Still, they commit sueside if they fail and they don't have to be mortally wounded to do this.
It doesn't make any sense if they were hunting only for fun.
But I do think that they think that the hunting is fun, that they love every aspect of it,
that it's the only thing that makes their life worth living.
I think that they look forward to each hunt and what kind of Prey they will find on location.
Going back to earth and hunt someone like Harrigan or Dutch must be like an invite to an all you can eat buffe for a person who can't stop eating, even if it would kill him.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed