Alien Prequel - Mixed Opinions

Started by The Hyena, Mar 13, 2010, 01:51:29 PM

Author
Alien Prequel - Mixed Opinions (Read 3,563 times)

The Hyena

The Hyena

Hello.  New member here.  I've been a very long time Aliens fan, having first seen Alien when I was 5-6 years old.  Now, I am very pleased with all Aliens movies (even the AvP movies) and I have read the vast majority of the comics.

Now, with the announcement of the Aliens prequel this leaves me feeling very happy that we are getting a new movie.  However....it leaves some thoughts.

1) The Space Jockey.

I REALLY hope we get to have some explanation on this creature.  Its a complete travesty that they have barely, if at all, explored this creature.  I agree, it doesn't need to have everything absolutely explained.  What people seem to forget is that a Mystery that is never explained, ends up becoming boring/forgotten.  There is a delicate balance between not saying enough and saying too much.  So far, with the only decent info being in a novel, and one or two comics, its beginning to borderline on the 'too little'

One example of something to explain is the Beacon.  Now, when I look to cannon and fan theories, I tend to apply real-life science and psychology to it (I'm a second year biology student at uni irl).

Now, I'm not good at Physics, but how could Weyland-Yutani intercept the message randomly? Is it possible for Weyland-Yutani tech to pick up such alien signalling mechanisms? What that suggests to me... is that Weyland-Yultani MAY have got their hands on Space Jockey technology at some point, some way to 'tune' into a distress signal as they search for intelligent life.

Perhaps a team previously came across a Space Jockey Necropolis city? like in the comics? I don't know.  What I do want to understand really is a bit more about their biology.  The only thing I really don't want them to explain...is if they are 'good' or 'evil'.

I think...the best way to do it, would be for them to talk about the Jockey 4-6 times throughout the movie, perhaps finding artefacts of them (like the Hieroglyph picture) and then, in the last 5 minutes of the movie, we see a living one for 30-35 seconds.

That would be enough to explain several fan theories without taking too much of the mystery away.

2) Weyland-Yultani and Politics

I personally would be very interested to see the movie explain more about how Weyland-Yultani came to power, how they became so influential over the USCM and such.  How they could get away with so much.

They seem more of a government than an actual Company to be honest.

I'll probably add more to this thread and would encourage people to discuss concerns like these, and what they'd like to see in terms of helping canon.

8thPassenger

8thPassenger

Those are interesting ideas.

I have mixed feelings for the Space Jockey thing. I don't want it to be explained in too much detail, so maybe the way you described it would be feasible. You know, indirectly, without having the Jockeys themselves on screen. For some reason I find the idea of watching one of them move and act and everything kinda...funny. Of course Scott might surprise me and do it with style, but that remains to be seen.

But I really like the idea of giving us some more insight into the company and its politics, because that's the aspect I always found emotionally most freightening in Alien. That the only reason you're getting killed by this big black SOB is that somebody wants to make money and win wars, and they don't give a sh*t about your life. And even if you managed to get out of the ship alive, you would probably have no meaningful future whatsoever.

EDIT: I really don't want the prequel to explain too many things in detail, but still give us some clues about why things happened the way they did. That's why Alien worked so well; you are being told just enough so that you get the general grasp of the characters, their relationships, etc... I'm imagining that the company being depicted in an almost David Lynch kind of way, dreamlike. So that you feel and know what they do, without to being told everything explicitly.

Don't know if this makes much sense, I'm not native in English..

Harkus

Harkus

No matter what they do with the space jockey the fans will hate it and hate the film.

The Hyena

The Hyena

The thing is, the Space Jockey idea has the potential to work.

One of the best comics in my opinion, was in Aliens: Platinum.  The very short one which had the Space Jockey one.

It was really one of the first times It appeared significantly, but it wasn't very long.  It was done very well, and showed how truely powerful and arrogant it was.  Its where I got my idea of a 30-second shot of a living jockey near the end of the movie.

The idea that there are there...and still alive...and watching.

I find that very freaky.  Expecially how they want us dead after the aliens.

ShadowStalker

Quote from: Harkus on Mar 14, 2010, 11:25:36 PM
No matter what they do with the space jockey the fans will hate it and hate the film.

Should be more like, no mater what they do it will have divided opions on it. Some will like it some will hate it, im hoping ill be the one of the ones who likes it ;D

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

Seeing more dead Jockeys would be cool, maybe integrated into different kinds of machines.

I don't think there will be any alive, in my mind the ship had been there for 1000s of years, no reason for alive Jockey to turn up....

The Jockey Alien however....

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Harkus on Mar 14, 2010, 11:25:36 PM
Unfortunately true.
I'd even accept the idea of a cargo derelict and the Jockey being a space trucker... ??? :)

RumorControl

Why the f**k does everything have to be explained for today's audiences?  I don't want any info on the space jockeys, the derelict sequence in the first film works only because we don't know anything about their race or society.  The mystery is what builds tension and makes the scene memorable; if the jockeys had been explained in Alien beforehand, the sequence would have been completely redundant.

Ridley is on the wrong track here.  For one, we don't need an Alien prequel to begin with, we need Alien 5.  Secondly, any explanation given for the space jockeys is going to fail to meet fans' expectations no matter what (since your own imagination is more powerful than anything Fox can come up with), so there's no point in doing it anyway.  Third, the Alien series doesn't work without Ripley.

Sexy Poot

Sexy Poot

Quote from: The Hyena on Mar 15, 2010, 10:34:03 AM
The thing is, the Space Jockey idea has the potential to work.

One of the best comics in my opinion, was in Aliens: Platinum.  The very short one which had the Space Jockey one.

It was really one of the first times It appeared significantly, but it wasn't very long.  It was done very well, and showed how truely powerful and arrogant it was.  Its where I got my idea of a 30-second shot of a living jockey near the end of the movie.

The idea that there are there...and still alive...and watching.

I find that very freaky.  Expecially how they want us dead after the aliens.

That does creep me the frig out. Is that comic collection the only place to find the story or is it in any of the omnibuses? Im gonna order it on ebay if its not in there.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I myself don't want the Space Jockey mystery to be revealed to us at all. I'd rather have the alien series maintain at least one mysterious thing about it.

SamHain

SamHain

This is ridley scott guys, he knows how to make a great movie... and i dont know about you but im tired of watching ripley killing those stupid space bugs, i want the real alien back and hopefully it will

Politikon

Politikon

Quote from: RumorControl on Apr 23, 2010, 11:13:47 PM
Why the f**k does everything have to be explained for today's audiences?  I don't want any info on the space jockeys, the derelict sequence in the first film works only because we don't know anything about their race or society.  The mystery is what builds tension and makes the scene memorable; if the jockeys had been explained in Alien beforehand, the sequence would have been completely redundant.

Ridley is on the wrong track here.  For one, we don't need an Alien prequel to begin with, we need Alien 5.  Secondly, any explanation given for the space jockeys is going to fail to meet fans' expectations no matter what (since your own imagination is more powerful than anything Fox can come up with), so there's no point in doing it anyway.  Third, the Alien series doesn't work without Ripley.

YES BUT IF EVERYONE CAN UNDERSTAND THIS CONCEPT, THEN WHY DOES NO ONE AGREE WITH ME THAT IT'S EVEN WORSE TO HAVE THE ALIEN'S LIFECYCLE REVEALED IN THE PREQUEL.  YOU THINK EXPLAINING THE SPACE JOCKEY WILL RUIN THE TENSION IN ALIEN, IMAGINE WHAT ALREADY KNOWING THE THING'S LIFECYCLE WILL DO TO IT!!

THE KEY HERE IS TO KEEP THE SPACE JOCKEY'S REALLY SCARY. SIMILAR TO THE WAY THE ALIEN IS STILL SCARY AFTER ALIEN,...only more so... MAke them really freaky and hard to trust, understand as organisms and leave it that way at the end, so they still dont make sense into the first ALIEN.

Master

Master

I`m ok with Space Jockey exploration concept as long as they`ll keep this Lovecraftian vibe.

Mus

Mus

Quote from: Politikon on Apr 24, 2010, 07:05:33 AM
Quote from: RumorControl on Apr 23, 2010, 11:13:47 PM

YES BUT IF EVERYONE CAN UNDERSTAND THIS CONCEPT, THEN WHY DOES NO ONE AGREE WITH ME THAT IT'S EVEN WORSE TO HAVE THE ALIEN'S LIFECYCLE REVEALED IN THE PREQUEL.  YOU THINK EXPLAINING THE SPACE JOCKEY WILL RUIN THE TENSION IN ALIEN, IMAGINE WHAT ALREADY KNOWING THE THING'S LIFECYCLE WILL DO TO IT!!

THE KEY HERE IS TO KEEP THE SPACE JOCKEY'S REALLY SCARY. SIMILAR TO THE WAY THE ALIEN IS STILL SCARY AFTER ALIEN,...only more so... MAke them really freaky and hard to trust, understand as organisms and leave it that way at the end, so they still dont make sense into the first ALIEN.

Quotefirst ALIEN

Exactly. I don't think you're meant to watch prequels before the first movie.

Besides, I know the life cycle but I still like Alien.

StarBeast79

StarBeast79

I don't agree that the Alien series doesn't work without Ripley.  How do we know?  This is the first Alien flick without her.  I don't count that AVP crap.  That's a whole different beast.  It was a huge mistake to bring back Ripley for Alien 3 and an even bigger one for Alien:R.  Ripley's presence is what ruined the franchise.  They kept coming up with even more absurd concepts to have her around to battle the creature.  The only Alien 5 I'd want to see with Ripley/Weaver is one that picks up sometime after Aliens and ignores 3 and 4.

Weaver's own opinion post Aliens was the right one.  The series needed a break from Ripley and at least the third one should have been without her before bringing her back for another.  If this movie turns out alright and either Ridley Scott or James Cameron themselves say they have a great concept for an Alien 5 with Ripley then I could be into it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed