Alien vs. Predator: alternate version of the movie.

Started by Aliendrone, Jan 06, 2007, 04:05:37 PM

Author
Alien vs. Predator: alternate version of the movie. (Read 17,798 times)

Aliendrone

okay, i see your points, and i apologize if i went all out at you. (yeah, i admit the dialogue for avp is a killer, i apologize. there is a huge story behind why it kinda sucks.)

However, my friends have done screenwriting themselves and have seen the alien films (those who actually like those kinds of movies) and they think that if i expand the storyline past avp2, then i can use Nick Ripley, but according to them the storyline has to change if i do a third avp so that the Ripley family never knows about the aliens and predators.

oh and whne you're reading AvP, it gets much better when the predators enter the faciltiy. If you want, skip to that part and start, i don't mind.

SM

I've copied the script to my hard  drive and am reading it again making notes as I go.

At least it'll get a fair hearing before I rip into it.

Aliendrone

Aliendrone

what do you mean, making notes?

anyway, i do plan on remaking my first script, decided to do it yesturday.

It's gonna be the first script, but a lot more sensible dialogue and more action.

SM

SM

Quotewhat do you mean, making notes?

Just making notes about the problems with it.

I dunno if you want a copy of all the notes I made, but the short version runs thusly:

- Too many characters have expository dialogue.  ie. They ask questions about things they should already know about solely for the benefit of the audience.

- There's lots of overly wordy dialogue, that could be cut right back.

- The romantic angle between Lex and Max is completely unnecessary.

- Max is a sook.  It's hard to have empathy for a leading man leaves his employer to die - and in fact didn't get his employer to safety in the first place - and then spends most of the rest of the film in tears.

- There's no tension in the piece.  This is down to:

a) Showing way to much Aliens duking it out with Predators early on - the prologue and the Predator ship.  Prologue is fine as long as it's all done with tight angles.  Fight on the Predator ship is a waste of time.

b) Miller is flagged as a bad guy way too early.  He needs the audience to be suspicious about him rather than knowing he's a bad guy right from the word go.

c) Once the shit hits the fans, too much of the action plays out like a video game.  Run down corridor - shoot Alien - rinse - repeat.  It's repetetive and dull.

- There's plot holes too numerous to mention for a 'short version'.

Mind you a couple of bits stood out:

- Scarface replaying Conner's "Got you, you bastard".  The voice recorder stuff was severely lacking in Anderson's version.

- Miller's "That's right, Harlan.  Push!"  Gold!  Pity Grid showing up and slaughtering Miller was so anticlimactic...

Yes there were more fights and they're described as being more bloody, but as I said above, they're too short, arbitrary, and video gamey.

The best idea for this sort of thing is to use Aliens as a template.  Not the plot, but the basic structure which is a) give the characters a goal ('stop the Aliens from getting in' which becomes 'the Aliens are in - lets get out') and b) throw a shitload of obstacles  (Burke, Aliens, minimal ammo, exploding AP Station, remotely piloting a dropship, can Bishop be trusted?) in their way.

I think the overall basic plot (Predator egg carrier lands - somewhat conveniently - near people who happen to be looking for this sort of thing, eggs open and infect people, Predators show up to kill Aliens) is okay - though the basic story of AvP wasn't that bad either and your script simply borrows from it.  However, the characters and dialogue need a complete overhaul.

Aliendrone

Aliendrone

please send me the notes, all of them.

Since I'm remaking my first script, i might as well now what to correct this time.

you know what, email them to me, don't pm.

SM

On it's way.

Aliendrone

thanks, i got it.

Corporal Hicks

Haven't read it, just skipped over comments. Just wanted to post some advice. Since you're what...13? 14? best thing to do is learn by example. Do what I did and just go read lots of scripts. Virtual series are a minefield.

www.mzp-tv.co.uk
www.onlinevirtualnetwork.com
http://bvc.gypsypro.net/index.html
www.virtualstartrek.com
www.trekonline.org
http://sg-universe.net

Aliendrone

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 17, 2007, 10:59:35 AM
Haven't read it, just skipped over comments. Just wanted to post some advice. Since you're what...13? 14? best thing to do is learn by example. Do what I did and just go read lots of scripts. Virtual series are a minefield.

www.mzp-tv.co.uk
www.onlinevirtualnetwork.com
http://bvc.gypsypro.net/index.html
www.virtualstartrek.com
www.trekonline.org
http://sg-universe.net

one, i'm 15

two, i go buy scripts all the time. I visit websites that host blockbuster scripts and the likes the reading those help me create a realistic sounding script

SM

It's not just that.  You also have to look at how scripts are constructed and structured in terms of acts, turning points, pages per act, etc.

Aliendrone

i'm actually looking at a collage in florida that does filmmaking and scriptwriting, since this is my career of choice.

SM

Good move.

Be my career of choice too if I could afford it.

Aliendrone

Here is another scene from my sequel, due out in mid-June...only features the Predator, but still is intense.

Ext. Forest – Night.

We see Thomas slowly moving through the forest. He aims his assault rifle (which has it's flashlight on) up at the trees and at the darkness in front of him. He turns and looks behind himself.

Thomas:
Mac, are you out there. It's me, Thomas.

Nothing. Thomas continues walking until he sees a tree that is very thick at the trunk. Just past the tree is a steep slope down to a small open field.

Thomas walks over to the tree and settles his rifle down. He takes out his walkie talkie and turns it on.

Thomas:
Corporal, I've searched the entire area and can't find him.

Nick: (o.s.)
Okay Thomas, get back to the storage shed as quickly as you can.

Thomas:
Alright.

Thomas puts the walkie-talkie back in his bag. He reaches down and grabs his rifle. Suddenly, we hear the Predator clicking sound. Thomas aims the rifle up at the tree. He backs away from the tree quickly and looks around.

Suddenly, we see a shimmering object appear behind Thomas. The Predator clicks in his throat again. Thomas turns around as the Predator de-cloaks and reveals Dark Blade. Thomas stares up at the Predator.

Thomas aims the rifle up at Dark Blade, but the Predator slaps the rifle away. The gun falls to the ground. Thomas backs up in fear. The Predator roars and pushes Thomas to the ground. Thomas groans in pain as he crawls back to the tree.

Dark Blade shakes his wrist and his wrist-blades shoot out. Dark Blade roars as he walks toward Thomas. We see horror and terror appear in Thomas' eyes. He sits up against the tree as the Predator walks toward him, ready to bring in the fatal blow.

SM

If guys are sneaking around in the dark with weapons drawn, then there's obviously some danger.

So why do they split up?

Aliendrone

well, only thomas is out in the forest, the others are in a storage shed in the forest that they "conveniantly," found.

They are searching for someone who went missing. They have no idea that there are Predators and aliens out in the forest and they know that there are no terrorists hiding in the area.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed