Running a Dedicated Server: Making your Default.cfg

Started by coolishmike, Mar 02, 2010, 12:49:04 AM

Author
Running a Dedicated Server: Making your Default.cfg (Read 17,772 times)

|ES|REDRUM|LDR|

Dedicated Server Admins, please post your working default.cfg and .exe command line.

I wasn't able to get a dedicated server running yet and I think it may be a router/port forwarding issue.

Any info about known issues you had with set up in order to get your server to run would be helpful.

V3teran

V3teran

1.First of all go into steam/tools and download the Aliens vs Predator Dedicated server beta.

2.Go into startmenu/ control panel/folder options....at the top click view and make sure the box "hide extensions" for known file types is UNTICKED.

3.Locate your steam folder on your hardrive (normally c:) and go into the folder Steam/steamapps/common/aliens vs predator....right click on your mouse and select new text document. Rename this document to default.cfg....It may warn you about the file not working properly if you change it,just ignore it and click ok

4.Copy and paste this below into the default.cfg

IP=85.42.147.103

servername  United Kingdom server

rconpassword aapf77

addmap Jungle dm      
addmap Ruins dm
addmap Refinery dm
addmap Gateway dm
addmap Temple dm
addmap Ruins dm
addmap Pyramid dm
addmap Gateway dm
addmap Temple dm

scorelimit 100
timelimit 15

host

listmaprotation

5.Look at what you have pasted above,you dont need to change any of it except for IP=(place your own ip here)
If you do not know what your IP is you can find out by visiting this site and your IP is displayed on the right hand side under anonymous.....www.tweakforce.com

Also right click on aliens vs predator dedicated server(in steam browser) and select properties/launch and copy paste your IP in here....example: IP=85.42.147.103...so you would copy paste.....IP=85.42.147.103...it should be the same IP as the one in the default.cfg

You can also change the server name from United kingdom to whatever you want

6.Go into your router and change firewall to off and go into dmz settings to 192.168.1.100 and reboot your router

7.Now start the dedicated server up and then your game,go into multiplayer/player match/browse games...select the server type to dedicated internet and select browse games  and select your server that you have just setup,it should be listed in the server browser by whatever name that you called it.

You can find the list of server commands in your aliens vs predator folder in this file....
DedicatedServerCmdRef.

Hope this helps

Insomniac

IP=85.42.147.103

This is wrong and will be ignored by the dedicated server.

safetyman

It's a terrible idea to advice people to configure their router with IP adresses YOU use.

Le Celticant

Quoterconpassword aapf77

LAWLZ.
The Master Pass I'm using since... 5 years now for all my AVP2 server and AVP3.
Didn't you copy / paste my old post on this forum for having server issue  ;)

Also, the IP you provided doesn't apply for anyone, they need to put their own and set up the port (open them, 3 in UDP and 1 in TCP) as indicated in the DedicatedServerReadme.txt
Something Like that:

QuoteIP=X

servername  Y

rconpassword Z

addmap Jungle dm     
addmap Ruins dm
addmap Refinery dm
addmap Gateway dm
addmap Temple dm
addmap Ruins dm
addmap Pyramid dm
addmap Gateway dm
addmap Temple dm

scorelimit 100
timelimit 15

host

listmaprotation

X -> Put your INTERNET IP (not your local one or the game will be set to LAN.)
Y -> Put the name of your Serve there.
Z -> Put the Master Pass to have access to administration in game. That's something very personal.

To load a server you need at least 2 command:
*addmap
*host

Host actually execute the server and host it.
I've putted listmaprotation at the end to be aware of the map I've setted (because I don't want to open every time the .cfg to know what will be the next map.)

safetyman

"IP" is an invalid command and does nothing.

Le Celticant

Quote from: safetyman on Mar 03, 2010, 01:33:39 PM
"IP" is an invalid command and does nothing.

In the .cfg it's an useless one indeed but it doesn't affect the server either.

V3teran

V3teran

if you read what i said,you would see that i said that the IP needs to be changed..duh..cant you people read????I was only trying to help,next time i wont bother...the FACT is if you follow that guide you will be succesfull in making your own dedi server....if all your gonna do is flame me then MAKE UR OWN GUIDE AND POST IT!!!

All i did was look at other posts and change the revelant data to suit my pc,i then posted what i had done here,its not hard to do is it?
I was only trying to help.....

Anonymous684

Anonymous684

calm down!

Insomniac

Quote from: V3teran on Mar 03, 2010, 03:11:47 PM
if you read what i said,you would see that i said that the IP needs to be changed..duh..cant you people read????I was only trying to help,next time i wont bother...the FACT is if you follow that guide you will be succesfull in making your own dedi server....if all your gonna do is flame me then MAKE UR OWN GUIDE AND POST IT!!!

All i did was look at other posts and change the revelant data to suit my pc,i then posted what i had done here,its not hard to do is it?
I was only trying to help.....

No one is flaming you, just trying to point out that it doesnt matter what you set the IP too in the cfg file, it will do nothing as it is not a command it uses. The posts you copied that from were wrong in the first place and i'm just trying to stop incorrect info from spreading too far!

V3teran

well i guess im still learning myself,the thing is by doing what i have said above,it works for me,so i cant be that wrong.Im sure it will work for others too if followed correctly.

Insomniac

Quote from: V3teran on Mar 03, 2010, 07:30:26 PM
well i guess im still learning myself,the thing is by doing what i have said above,it works for me,so i cant be that wrong.Im sure it will work for others too if followed correctly.

Oddly, an IP command has been added in the lastest update, though i imagine it works like: "ip x.x.x.x". (without the equals)

DirtyBerd

LOL! No wonder the dedicated servers suck, your running them from your house with a shit connection on a cheap ass computer and your probably downloading things at the same time your running the servers all behind a router that you hardly know how to configure. LOL! If your lucky you might be able to host about 8 players and that's pushing it, never mind 18. Running a dedicated server from your house is nothing but a glorified match making service. this games gonna die in two months.

Brother

Yah not everybody is running them on their home PC, even when ran by a server company there are a lot of issues.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed