Predator South China Sea

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 06, 2007, 11:27:36 AM

Author
Predator South China Sea (Read 35,841 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Alienseseses on Mar 28, 2008, 03:36:08 AM
(to be sung to the tune of "99 bottles of beer on the wall")

Yeah...that much was obvious.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Just clarifying for the hard-of-thinking.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Stephen has finally put up the original cover:

http://www.stephenyoull.com/New74.html

Amaymyon666

Amaymyon666

This book should have DEF been set in the past

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Jeff on the topic of the cover -

Due to the timing on this, Youll had to do the cover from the synopsis, which led to something kind of funny–there was no snake attack in the novel as completed. However, it's an easy fix since there's a summary scene where the Predator is sequentially battling lots of animals. I'll just stick in three sentences about a python, which doesn't hurt anything. Youll tried to incorporate Pol Pot the croc, but it just didn't work composition-wise, and I understand why.

I know this is probably too small to see details, but in the big version I printed out, you can see the drops of water "on the glass," as if the splashes are up against a camera lens. And there's a very nice slanted vertical light in the upper half, streaming down.

http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2008/02/15/predator-novel-cover/

A small portion from the novel which has ended up being cut -

Favorite Predator Novel Rant That Might Be Cut...
Jeff VanderMeer • January 10th, 2008 @ 9:12 pm • Fiction
...but would be great in the B-movie version...

Suddenly, Maxim spoke up, and would not stop. "We need to get the f**k off of this island. We just need to f**king swim if we have to, to get off of this island. This shit isn't working. This shit isn't even f**king real. I can't believe that you're even talking about this. Let's make a ship out of this ridiculous lodge. Take it apart beam by beam. Make an outrigger like Thor Heyerdahl. We'll call it the Kon-Tiki 2. Hell, we can make a ship out of the bricks of coke I have back in my f**king room. We can make a ship out of the trees in the jungle. Or let's make a bonfire out of the savannah–something so bleeding large that they can see it from space like the Great Wall of China. Let's rape and pillage all the f**king mineral resources so we can make a cannon that shoots volcanoes of fire that'll reach Wales. Let's tie a message asking for help to the leg of every seagull on the beach. Let's take every monkey on the island and teach them to swim and harness them together and make the world's first monkey sea-sled team and whip them until they take us to Thailand. I mean, come on. Use a little bit of imagination."

http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2008/01/10/favorite-predator-novel-rant-that-might-be-cut/

Oh and by the way, this novel has been put back to September along with No Exit.

Corporal Hicks

felix

felix

Definitely going to check this out. Hopefully more good old fashioned Yuatja 9Not Hish please!) ation. Intriguing story. Who else here is going to get this?

Loved Flesh and Blood. Alright on Turnabout. 2008 seems to be the year of the Predator.

P.S- Any new Predator books slatted for 2009?

War Wager

War Wager

Got it preorderd. I've longed for a good modern day, jungle themed Pred novel. This could be the one.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Pre-ordered my copy (and the new Aliens novel) on Amazon last week. Amazon insists it'll ship on the 20th of this month.

felix

felix

Anybody going to review this? Its out today right?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

It might have shipped today, but not all stores might have it yet. Not to mention you need to give people a chance to read it, too. :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'll be asking for my copy when I've done reviews for the last two Predator Omnibuses - which suck so its kind hard to want to.

War Wager

War Wager

Mine got delayed like 3 times, supposedly going to arrive from 28th Oct - 1st Nov.

felix

felix

Just finished reading my copy.

I enjoyed this one a lot more than Turnabout. No Yuatja or Hish here. The Predator is simply called "The Predator". Nice varied cast with The Predator taking on an entire Khmer army.

The existance of Predators seems to be a pretty well known secret here. With the Russians and Americans trying to capture a Predator ship. No references to the movies though "South America" was mentioned and that they "Don't like the cold".

The Predator here seems to be an Elder. Tactical and highly competent. Other Alien races are depicted and a female Predator is mentioned.

I rate this an 8.5/10. Maybe a 9/10.

P.S- Didn't understand what exactly was happening to the Nikolai character though. Maybe someone could me your readings on it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Gah. Must write those other reviews. I really want these new novels. Also got an interview with the author on the way. Need to get that finished.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed