You stealth kill someone, you make a trade off. A free kill vs being open to attacks for a few seconds.
And why would we need a trade off? You managed to sneak up on someone from behind. It's not any different as if you'd knife someone from behind in Battlefield. There's no reason why there should be a long stealth kill animation, especially when I can dispatch Marines quicker by rushing them and then finishing them off on the ground. I've quickly disposed of Marines like that when I played the MP. So where's the balance there? Either of it is a sure kill when I catch someone off guard.
Are you serious?! No difference?!
1. In Battlefield meleekills happens not often. In AVP3 the whole time.
2. As alien and pred you move a whole lot faster than in Battlefield, so for preds and aliens its no big deal to get near and finally behind an enemy.
3. Battlefield is an FPS with a knife-kill now and then, in AVP melee is a essential part of the gameplay. It got a real system for that, even if its often annuled by the stealthkill.
4. Its a game about predators and aliens. No standard-soldiers like in Battlefield. I dont think that aliens and predators deserve it to get killed by this push-the-button-to-kill-feature.
5. If the stealthkill would work faster, it would be a stealthkill-fest. Wow. Its allready a mess in many matches (average map with 9 preds and 9 aliens->The time to take the rine and score, with less danger of getting stealthkilled).
Really, whats the point of a complex meleesystem, where meleefights take some time and you are mostly surrounded (not on every map ore maparea or playeramount <-that makes the difference) with enemys, if someone other just have to push a button to kill you. Its nothing about stealth.
You are mostly screwed as pred/alien if a alien/pred hits you with an heavy attack from behind (what I usually do, to avoid frustrating aliens/preds, that are allready in a melee by using the stealthkill).
I think thats clearly enough. You only got the half of HP if someones do that and if you are allready on the half of that points you are dead. Thats something im really fine with.
I played a game yesterday, where noone used the stealthkill and it was impressive how much more fun it is without it. It was great if an alien fighted 2 preds or vice versa, without the danger to get killed by that "stealthkill".
It was a huge map with just a few players. So everyone stalked and tried to being stealthy. No hectic no chaos and no paranoia/fear about getting a tail or whristblade in the back, cause noone used the instantkillbutton. Tactic, tension and epic meleefights.
Reminded me of AVP2 (with AJL-Mod) where this was always possible, just with no real meleesystem.
If someone thinks different, OK, but in my eyes thats the way it should be.
I got no problem, if I get killed the whole time. The question is how I get killed.
That discussion reminds me of an Mortal Kombat-fan, who actually tried to tell me, that the balance and complexity and the overall fightsystem of Mortal Kombat is as good as the one in Virtua Fighter....Yeah. For sure. LOL
1. Activation range should be cut down...
2. Activation only possible while standing still or walking...
3. Actication not possible withing ~1 second of using Jump or Sprint...
4. "Stealth Zone" timer. (No need to hold down the button for 2 seconds,
but you should need to be behind the enemy for some +1 seconds...)
I would like, that its not usable, if you are allready in a meleefight. Apart from that i like that solution.
But i hope just for an option to turn it off. If aliens become underpowered, cause of that, they can boost other skills of it.