User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Single Player Questions/Help Thread  (Read 51207 times)

GrimyGhost
Feb 14, 2010, 06:29:06 PM
Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:29:06 PM
Q
according to a guy on youtube each campaign can be finished in 1-2 hours... is that true?? if so thats a serious disapointment..

Meh..almost anything can be finished that fast if you zoom trough it and dont take your time with everything. + play on easy. Mass Effect 2 is arround 80hours but people can finish it in 6hours... Same goes for alot of games. It all depends on how much you ignore.
there was no rushing involved, he was on medium... he did campaign play throughs on youtube

Link?

MrBrokenTusks.
Feb 14, 2010, 06:30:08 PM
Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:30:08 PM
Q
I am very troubled at the first boss. I was expecting it to appear twice but i think it i will have to be epic or it has to be really long to justify it being right at the beggining. If i was rebellion i would swap the first and last bosses but obviously I'm not and i don't know the story but to make that last boss work it will have to be really epic otherwise it will be a stupid order for the bosses to be in imo. Because the least dangerous boss is last. I don't know in what concept so i can't really comment but apart from the bosses the marine campaign sounds amazing.

BTW the bosses aren't bad. There amazing its just that i think it would of been better in a different order that is all.

Hive Tyrant
Feb 14, 2010, 06:31:33 PM
Reply #32 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:31:33 PM
Q
You don't pay 60 bucks for the campaign, but the multiplayer, which is the core of the game.  ;)

GrimyGhost
Feb 14, 2010, 06:34:31 PM
Reply #34 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:34:31 PM
Q
You don't pay 60 bucks for the campaign, but the multiplayer, which is the core of the game.  ;)
actually i pay for sp with my money, mp is something to do once i complete it, and rebellion have never staitd that the main feature of the game was mp..

spychi
Feb 14, 2010, 06:35:55 PM
Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:35:55 PM
Q
according to a guy on youtube each campaign can be finished in 1-2 hours... is that true?? if so thats a serious disapointment..
wean said that it took him 6 hours on hard, so i'll take your/that guy's version on youtube as a huge bulshit

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2010, 06:38:03 PM by spychi »

Ghost Rider LSOV
Feb 14, 2010, 06:37:53 PM
Reply #36 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:37:53 PM
Q
So, my question:

What about those facehuggers, they insta-kill you like the old days or you insta-grab them like in the trailer, or is it a grab-but-fail move?
(yeah, I don't make much sense)  :P

GrimyGhost
Feb 14, 2010, 06:38:15 PM
Reply #37 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:38:15 PM
Q
wean said that it took him 6 hours on hard, so i'll take your/that guy's on youtube as a huge bulshit
i would love too, but its kinda hard to when you watch the vids.

MrBrokenTusks.
Feb 14, 2010, 06:38:25 PM
Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:38:25 PM
Q
wean said that it took him 6 hours on hard, so i'll take your/that guy's on youtube as a huge bulshit

i don't think it is bullshit all the reviews have said marine is the longest campaign and that aliens is shortest
and wean has only played marine so it probably is different campaigns that there on

WeaN
Feb 14, 2010, 06:51:39 PM
Reply #40 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:51:39 PM
Q
Who are all named marines? Are there any unknown main characters? Who dies and who lives?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do you see #6?

How is the battle with the Predator handled?

With style :

How many facehuggers do you see? Do you get to fight them?

Yeah you'll face many of them. Sometimes they come out of eggs, sometimes they just lurk in dark places.
You can also shoot the eggs before they come out and save you the trouble.

Biggest battle scene? Description would be nice!

It's a matter of tastes, but to me, the best encounters are probably the 2nd and 3rd bosses, which are ...

How many friendly A.I. do you run into?

Do you see a lot of cocooned victims?

How many Marine exclusive achievements do you have?

Not much so far. I got the Kill 10 enemies with head shots from the scoped rifle one, cause that thing is really handy in open environnements. It deals a lot of damage too, you can usually kill Aliens in one body shot.

Any special "wow" moments?

A few. But if you're used to this kind of game, you'll expect it most of the time. Having played and completed Dead Space more than once, it takes a lot to actually startle me.
I did go wow when the 3rd boss appeared, though. Didn't expect that.

How abundant is ammo for weapons?
I never ran out. You'll find these white ammo boxes often, either lying on the ground or by a Marine's body. As long as you don't shoot half your clip in the air during encounters, you're safe, really.

Any singleplayer exclusive weapons?
None. If you played the demo then that's it.
Smartgun has much more ammo in SP though. You even get to reload the thing.

Do you see / ride in / get transported in an APC?

Nope.

Describe the Alien spit ability. How much damage, how the animation looks, etc.

Oh yeah, that one.
Regular warriors (skin from the demo) don't spit. But eventually you'll come across Brown Aliens (some might like to call it Runner since its design is so close to the Xeno from the 3rd movie) that can spit acid.
Unlike warriors, they tend to keep at range and sometimes they'll spit at you... if you played Halo, imagine a Wraith mortar, except it's smaller and so slow you'll have plenty of time to dodge it. I only got hit once or twice cause I was zooming with the rifle and didn't see it coming.
It doesn't deal much damage even on Hard.

Any easter eggs? Description if you've found any please.

There's definitely a few, but right now I can't recall all of them. You'll get obvious references to the movies in some lines, like "how can they cut the power ?" and stuff.
The first levels are an easter egg themselves since they look like the setting from Aliens so much. You'll basically go through everything the characters from the movie experienced. Fans will enjoy that.

In your  judgement  was it a let down

I really enjoy the first half of the game ... the gameplay is solid, the Xenos look awesome and the environnements aren't breath taking, but they are good enough for what it is. Very faitful to the atmosphere from the movies (Aliens, Predator and the first AvP movie).
What I didn't like is the fact you get more mindless action as you go, at the expense of atmosphere.
Also, I won't go into details to avoid spoiling, but towards the last third of the game (well, the Marine Campaign at least), you get to fight less and less Xenos, which I didn't like. What you fight instead is much less fun to face, and feels clunky because of the Marine gameplay which is obviously more aimed at fighting Xenos.
I found the plot a bit weak, but I'll wait till I complete the two other Campaign to emit a final judgment. But to be honest, anybody expecting a deep plot in this kind of game are luring themselves.

6 hours sounds a little bit short. If reviews are accurate, they indicate that the marine campaign is the longest, with the most substance.   Assuming your average gamer is as capable at FPS at the OP, it may only take a weekend to finish the whole game.

I'm afraid you're probably right.
I took me a bit less than the whole afternoon to complete the Marine SP. I did die a few times during the first encounters... but once you get the hang of it, only the bosses will pose a real threat, until you actually get the mechanics of the fight.

Seriously? the last boss is

How the hell does that work?
Some kind of arkham asylum

Hum.... be prepared for a big spoiler sir :

Before OP confirms I'm going to take some kind of guess that;

Do I win a prize?

No you don't. Check the previous spoiler :)
Then again ... maybe there's a bit of that. It's not actually explained, only hinted at.
But one thing's for sure :

Is it just a straight fight? Or does it

Already explained that fight above, in response to VEF214's question :)

Yeah it's probably possible if you play on Normal or below and if you know it already for beating it at least once before.
I just took my time to admire the scenery or move slowly in dark corridors... you know. To actually enjoy the thing ?

So, my question:

What about those facehuggers, they insta-kill you like the old days or you insta-grab them like in the trailer, or is it a grab-but-fail move?
(yeah, I don't make much sense)  :P

If you have close to full health, you insta grab them just like in the trailer. But you'll lose about 90% of your health (at least that's how it is on Hard).
If they get to you once more ... it's game over man.

Ghost Rider LSOV
Feb 14, 2010, 07:02:20 PM
Reply #41 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:02:20 PM
Q
If you have close to full health, you insta grab them just like in the trailer. But you'll lose about 90% of your health (at least that's how it is on Hard).
If they get to you once more ... it's game over man.

I see.
If you grab one, you lose most health and then drop it down to shoot it?

MrBrokenTusks.
Feb 14, 2010, 07:05:11 PM
Reply #42 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:05:11 PM
Q
In your opinion wean do you think the bosses are back to front because the list u gave us looks like it should be
obviously it is not but do you think it suits the story?

WeaN
Feb 14, 2010, 07:15:11 PM
Reply #43 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:15:11 PM
Q
I see.
If you grab one, you lose most health and then drop it down to shoot it?

Yeah, you grab it and repell the first assault, it gets back on the ground and you're free to do whatever you want (shoot it, run away...).

In your opinion wean do you think the bosses are back to front because the list u gave us looks like it should be
obviously it is not but do you think it suits the story?

Hm... the last boss does suit the story, since...

The first boss COULD be a let down in the sense that you don't actually get to attack it directly. More like scripted events you have to complete in order to win the fight.

MrBrokenTusks.
Feb 14, 2010, 07:20:43 PM
Reply #44 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:20:43 PM
Q
:O that was the boss i was most looking forward to firing hundreds of rounds into. Shame hopefully bosses 2 and 3 (maybe 4 depending on how it is handled like straight up fight or qte.) Will be a saving point for the bosses.

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed