Ah..AVP2...my first AVP game.

Started by Mkilbride, Jan 21, 2010, 06:48:52 PM

Author
Ah..AVP2...my first AVP game. (Read 6,561 times)

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Mkilbride on Jan 22, 2010, 08:50:49 AM
I thought the Sound effects were vastly superior when compared to the old ones..

Am I the only one with good Speakers / Headphones?:P

Sound FX were great, wepaon sounds, ehhhhhh.

postman

postman

The sound effects were indeed great, but with custom downloads available online, I normally replace alot of the original skins, and sounds with better ones.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

I recall playing the crap out of the AVP2 Marine demo allllllll summer at my grandfather's house (RIP) He had a newer Compaq and it ran so nicely.

Ahhhhhh I love AVP. I am glad it's back in Rebellion's hands. They are already talking about DLC and a sequel.  :)

CONKERSBADFURDAY

AvP2 was also my first AvP game, and some of my most fond memories of online gaming come from it. It's a shame that as the game died, the community seemed to go downhill. I ended up moving over to UT:04 because I couldn't stand the people that were playing AvP2. All my friends had left for bigger and better games.

Roger_Derby

Roger_Derby

My first online experience loved it when i had it still love it still play it today.

Rebel-Blood

Rebel-Blood

This game beat all of the other avp games, the atmosphere and gameplay were excellent such a shame Rebellion will never take any gameplay elements from it, I miss the glaive and the fast paced gameplay.  :(

predxeno

predxeno

This was my first AvP game and that fact is something I regret.  My parents convinced me that I could play this game before I played the original game by Rebellion.  I'm the type that likes to play these games in order.  Anyway, the marine campaign was really scary.  But after I beat AVP2 and its expansion pack, the first one didn't seem scary at all.  Then again I was playing it on Director's Cut and there were so many aliens, perhaps I got used to it.  Did anyone who played the first AVP before AVP2 find it scary at all?

Brother

Brother

Me, but I'm a wuss, so w/e..

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I played the first AvP after AvP2. Still found it scary.

But, much like Brother, I am a girly-man.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I played them in order.

AvP has always been for me more tense than scary, simply because it was so easy to die and the enemy random encounters.  Its a differnet kind of feeling than the second.

The second I was scared, and I jumped considerably more times because they built up the encounters so much.

But on replays AvP still maintains its tense atmosphere for me because of the random enemy spawn, but since after the first couple of playthroughs of AvP2 you know the encounter patterns, it loses its magic.

I wasn't scared of AvP3 at all.  Really.  Not once.  It was a combination of having done it all before, the environs being the same from species to species, and the setups not working (and repeatedly using the same setups).

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 22, 2010, 11:20:33 PM
I wasn't scared of AvP3 at all.  Really.  Not once.  It was a combination of having done it all before, the environs being the same from species to species, and the setups not working (and repeatedly using the same setups).

I wonder if that's what happened to me after I played AVP2 before AVP1.  Plus AVP2 had better graphics so it was probably even scarier.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

AvP2 alleviated its scripted problems by having various scripted sequences.  In AvP3 it was almost exclusively aliens giving ghost readings only for them to pop out of a vent the exact same way they did the previous other 900 times you encountered them.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

wtf.

AvP2 was about as obvious as it comes.

Doesn't help that the Aliens were pretty meagre foes.

Brother

Brother

At least it was fun, for me nyway.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

AvP2 was great fun when you weren't fighting Aliens.

The initial build-up was awesome. And escaping from prison as Harrison was a great move.

In fact, that's sorta the thing AvP2 can really lord over AvP2010 - the SP really mixed it up a lot. There's really definitive events that change the conditions of the battle and AvP2010 really lacked that.

AvP2's campaign with AvP2010's technology and gameplay is essentially as close to done-and-done perfect this franchise would ever come, imo.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed