Ah..AVP2...my first AVP game.

Started by Mkilbride, Jan 21, 2010, 06:48:52 PM

Author
Ah..AVP2...my first AVP game. (Read 6,528 times)

Mkilbride

Mkilbride

I played it in like 2002 from a demo on Fileplanet or so. I played the demo for like two weeks. Multiplayer one that is.

AVP2 was one of my favorite multiplayer experiences ever, even if 90% of servers disabled the Smartgun & Lock on Plasma. Mechs were fun though. Life-Cycle, what a treat.

I tried AVP1 a little after that and did not like it as much, probably because no one played online, but the graphics were almost the same, so it's not that. It just felt like less love & care was put into the first, and with the second, they got it right.

If the new AVP3 and build upon the second and incorporate some of the cool elements from the first one, AVP3 will be one we play for many years. Hell, AVP2 survived on like 40-50 people for 8 years. It was enough.

What worries me most about the new one is the whole multi-console thing, but oh well. Anyone else remember when AVP2 was still new and it's Multiplayer was different from pretty much all games out? That's what set it apart, it had three different play-styles in one game, a thing still un-common today.

Brother

Brother

A small correction - now, after the MW went down there are 20 - 40 people playing in the servers (even more over the weekend), but before in those 8 years there were a lot more people playing.

Mkilbride

Mkilbride

Well yeah, what I'm, saying is, there is a dedicated community of people who loved AVP2 out there. If AVP3 is AVP2 with updated mechanics, graphics, ectera, and not to much changed, I'm sure it'll happen again.

Brother

Brother

Die hard fans and SDK. Rebellion already has the first.

Xhan

Xhan

AvP2 was a mess from the beginning.

Private Hudson

Just so you know Mkilbride, Rebellion, the guys who made the 1999 AVP and the upcoming AVP 3, did not make AVP 2, so I doubt there will be a lot of features from AVP 2 returning.

Mkilbride

Mkilbride

Yeah, I know they didn't, I said that in my post.

Regardless, AVP2 improved upon every aspect of AVP, sounds, story, graphics, gameplay, ect, so I'm hoping AVP3 will incorporate the best of AVP1 & AVP2 for a solid experience.

Xhan

Xhan

AvP had better controls and lighting... and much better modeling and a better damage model ... and strangely, better AI.

Alexa Chung

Alexa Chung

And the marines made a satisfying WHUUMMPPHHH noise as they splattered themselves and three other AIs with errant nades.

Xhan

Xhan

And the awesome CLONK of their weapons hitting the ground.

which is included in 3.

Alexa Chung

Alexa Chung

In fact the best thing about AvP1 is you can push people off mile-high ledges. People with molotov cocktails. 

Xhan

Xhan

screaming people. or run them off of a cliff by hissing.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

AVP 2 was an awesome follow up. The ONLY thing I didn't like was the sound effects on the pulse rifle and smartgun.

Mkilbride

Mkilbride

I thought the Sound effects were vastly superior when compared to the old ones..

Am I the only one with good Speakers / Headphones?:P

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

First game had better mechanics and atmosphere.  Second game was more immersive.

I put both. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed