"Fans" are Embarrassing

Started by MoBiUGeArSkIn, Nov 22, 2009, 03:04:00 PM

Author
"Fans" are Embarrassing (Read 8,756 times)

MoBiUGeArSkIn

MoBiUGeArSkIn

"It's not canon!!!"

... I don't know how many of you guys frequent IMDB, but that was the first place I went after reading the new "Predators" script.

For the most part... I really like it. The ending. Well, both endings, aren't great. But I do quite like the quirky cameo ending more. I put this to the IMDB crowd and was met with complete and utter retardation.

People seem to forget that this is a reboot of a franchise that is, effectively, dead.

When I name dropped "Machiko Noguchi" people freaked out. Apparently AvP lore isn't considered Predator canon. Only the Predator movies are considered Predator canon.

So the cross over comics, the novels, the cross over novels... apparently none of this counts, and the only canon we have, in relation the Predator at least, comes from the movies.

So... that means we know f**k all about the Predator then.

Neither movie told us anything worthwhile. Nothing about their food source, nothing about their home world, class structure, weapon inspiration... I see this as something quite important considering their kit is so specific to the task in hand.

None of this is explored. If the AvP stuff doesn't count... then what else do we have?

AvP told us more. A lot more. Machiko Noguchi's character was key to a lot of what we do "know." Being accepted by the Predators, for the most part. Living with them, hunting with them. This is interesting stuff. Good fiction. Expansive fiction. It fills in the blanks. Gives future writers and filmmakers more ideas and options as to where the franchise could go.

Paul Anderson is clearly aware of Machiko Noguchi. Robert Rodriguez, and his writers, are clearly also aware.

Fans? They aren't. Or maybe they are but they're so blinkered they try to ignore it?

I read across IMDB and, to be honest, I find it almost embarrasing to share an interest with these people. When Star Trek was released in the Summer I saw less whining about the changes to that history than I'm seeing in relation to this. The Star Trek fans had what? 6 movies and a decades worth of TV being rewritten? They had something to complain about. Predator fans? 2 movies? Get a life ::)

I'm all for tanked up Predators. I'm all for new hunting techniques. I'm all for them not agreeing with each others practices and fighting over it. The franchise NEEDS a kick in the ass and this could be the film to deliver it!

Solid script. Great cast of genuine actors. All that remains to be seen... is the finished product.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: MoBiUGeArSkIn on Nov 22, 2009, 03:04:00 PM
When I name dropped "Machiko Noguchi" people freaked out. Apparently AvP lore isn't considered Predator canon.
What can Machiko possibly have to do with the new movie?

...And what does it matter?  What's canonical, what isn't...it really doesn't matter at the end of the day unless you're a total stooge for the company line.  Otheriwse, just accept whatever parts of the franchise you want to and ignore the rest.  Or don't.

I dunno, I always find it kind of funny when one fan decries other fans for being nerds, or needing to get a life, or whatever it is you're complaining about. 

MoBiUGeArSkIn

MoBiUGeArSkIn

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Nov 22, 2009, 03:16:53 PM
Quote from: MoBiUGeArSkIn on Nov 22, 2009, 03:04:00 PM
When I name dropped "Machiko Noguchi" people freaked out. Apparently AvP lore isn't considered Predator canon.
What can Machiko possibly have to do with the new movie?

At what point did I say she needed to be part of it. I never did.

I'm merely pointing at the CONCEPT of a human being accepted by the Predators.

Which is something people find impossible to comprehend, despite it already happening... 3 times?

I'm complaining at Predator fans putting a full stop after everything as if the franchise has gone as far as it can.

The way most talk, if a Predator is too tall, has too many dreadlocks, doesn't sound identical to the last one... it's some kind of outrage.

WTF does that say about the franchise if we can't do anything more with it?

Alien³

Alien³

You can't just burst onto AVPGalaxy all upset over peoples opinions, its not the way to go about it. people won't take you seriously if you don't accept that other people have different views of the series. 

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

I don't know what it says, other than the fans have no say in what happens in the films, so why are you wasting your time worrying about them?

1.  Was this thread created basically just so you could complain about the fans at the IMDb board?
2.  Am I a bigger asshole than I was before my sabattical?  ;)

MoBiUGeArSkIn

MoBiUGeArSkIn

I posted it here as I come here nearly every day for the front page, hoping for either an update on the movie or an update on the new AvP game.

And because I need to be shown than not all fans are complete psychopaths.

If all I'm going to get is confirmation that fans ARE psychopaths... then I'll just have to relegate anything AvP into the "I like it but can't talk about it because it attracts idiots" pile.

Does Frenchy Pred still post here?

Alien³

Alien³

Well I don't consider AVP or AVP:R as canon to the predator franchise.

MoBiUGeArSkIn

MoBiUGeArSkIn

But how do we draw the line? AvP, the ideas it brought with it... more expansive than anything in the two Predator movies.

And it seems that people have an aversion to new ideas. Few like to keep an open mind.

Tanked up Predators that "cheat"? HERESY!

I like that idea. Hasn't been done on screen.

Master

Master

Well first AvP is not that bad, but I had to see AvP-r to realise it.

About you and your complaints. Most of Us are not pissed off by fact that francise is expanding. But because super stupid things are added. Seriously what good is in black blood. Or Predator (hunter) useing minigun plasma caster on hunt. And another idiotic thing is ending with arnold. Please... ::)

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: MoBiUGeArSkIn on Nov 22, 2009, 03:52:27 PM
But how do we draw the line? AvP, the ideas it brought with it... more expansive than anything in the two Predator movies.

And it seems that people have an aversion to new ideas. Few like to keep an open mind.

It all comes down to your imagination. If you know everything about them they become less scary. The whole point to the predator franchise is that they're an alien race who have standards that we hardly know anything about, they're unpredictable and monstrous and that is why they're threatening. If we knew everything about them we'd lose interest in watching them.

Your imagination is a powerful tool and taking that away can ruin an entire film. Do you think ALIEN or JAWS would have worked as well if we saw the creatures in full at the beginning of the film?

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Alien³ on Nov 22, 2009, 03:58:07 PM
It all comes down to your imagination. If you know everything about them they become less scary. The whole point to the predator franchise is that they're an alien race who have standards that we hardly know anything about, they're unpredictable and monstrous and that is why they're threatening. If we knew everything about them we'd lose interest in watching them.
Which is one of the things I don't like about the comic books and Dark Horse novels.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: maledoro on Nov 22, 2009, 04:02:39 PM
Which is one of the things I don't like about the comic books and Dark Horse novels.

Well nothing is forcing you to read them.

MoBiUGeArSkIn

MoBiUGeArSkIn

Your imagination is a powerful tool and taking that away can ruin an entire film. Do you think ALIEN or JAWS would have worked as well if we saw the creatures in full at the beginning of the film?

Well this is the reason I want to see new things in this movie - We already know too much about them.

If Predators was just a rinse and repeat of the same Predator creature we've been exposed to... it would be boring.

This film has a number of new things going for it. The dogs, the hawks, the extreme weapons. The difference between this "super" Predator and the ones we've already seen.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Alien³ on Nov 22, 2009, 04:04:42 PM
Quote from: maledoro on Nov 22, 2009, 04:02:39 PM
Well nothing is forcing you to read them.
1. I never said that I felt forced to read them. I read a couple of them and moved on. Forgive me for stating my feelings.

2. Forgive me for agreeing with you.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: MoBiUGeArSkIn on Nov 22, 2009, 04:11:55 PM

Well this is the reason I want to see new things in this movie - We already know too much about them.

If Predators was just a rinse and repeat of the same Predator creature we've been exposed to... it would be boring.

This film has a number of new things going for it. The dogs, the hawks, the extreme weapons. The difference between this "super" Predator and the ones we've already seen.

If we already know "too much" about them why do you want more?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed