Author
'Human based' story? (Read 4,952 times)

predalien27

predalien27

To tell you the truth, I don't think I'm ready for another Alien movie.  :-\

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

Agree with most of the comments here:

Basically focusing more on the human element actually helps create fear and respect for the creature. When it appears and off someone we actually care about that character.

The other end of the spectrum is AVP:R ... nuff said.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 31, 2009, 01:46:23 PM
I'd argue with that. Alien was very human based and it was where a lot of praise for it went - the human elements, their interaction and etc.

This.

Alien was an effective monster movie because it was a mystery that revealed itself to be about a monster. And in the process, we grew to connect and care about the characters, if only because they were the only humans. The acting and dialogue was good enough to give the illusion of these being real people, so we were feeling as they did as soon as the defecation hit the oscillation.

This is what the AvP films lacked. Because we didn't care about the human characters, the things that happened to them had no relevance to us.

StarBeast79

StarBeast79

Yes, a prime example of why I think the series went off the rails with Alien 3.  I didn't give a damn about the people.  A group of them even try to gang rape the heroine.  Things like that make you pull for the Alien.

I don't need to see a blood bath for the sake of a body count. If a character dies, I like to feel bothered by it, like everyone in Alien and the marines in Aliens.

My guess is Scott was referring to human driven rather then space jockey driven but time will tell.

SM

SM

QuoteA group of them even try to gang rape the heroine.  Things like that make you pull for the Alien.

Ah, but one of them then rescues her and beats the shit out of them.  Instantly making him likeable.

But overall you're fairly correct.

Highland

Highland

Thing is , this will be the 5th installment, It's not going to be good enough to have top quality actors and screen time. To make this movie work, there's going to have to be some seriously fckd up Giger out of this world shit to make it even remotely scary or suspenseful (or even mysterious).

We've had an alien crawling around killing people twice to good effect already, there has to be something in the story that made Scott want to return, what that is i don't know.

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

Quote from: Highland on Apr 14, 2010, 07:28:40 AM
Thing is , this will be the 5th installment, It's not going to be good enough to have top quality actors and screen time.

Have to disagree about quality of actors, with Ridley's name attached to it actors would jump at the chance to be in it - let's wait and see how good the new Robin Hood is - the trailer gives a good first impression - if that is a major success and Alien Prequel the I think he can pick and choose his cast.

That said, I hope we get some talented unknowns, maybe one or two veteran actors.

Same goes for screen time, it's Ridley Scott - Fox will let him have his way.

To make this movie work, there's going to have to be some seriously fckd up Giger out of this world shit to make it even remotely scary or suspenseful (or even mysterious).

I have my fingers crossed for Giger shit. The Alien can still be scary - I just really hope we get some shocking moment akin to the chestburster scene in the first film which is totally new and will emulate the kind of shock audiences had back then.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Xenoscream on Apr 14, 2010, 01:04:16 PM
Thing is , this will be the 5th installment, It's not going to be good enough to have top quality actors and screen time.

Have to disagree about quality of actors, with Ridley's name attached to it actors would jump at the chance to be in it - let's wait and see how good the new Robin Hood is - the trailer gives a good first impression - if that is a major success and Alien Prequel the I think he can pick and choose his cast.

That said, I hope we get some talented unknowns, maybe one or two veteran actors.

Same goes for screen time, it's Ridley Scott - Fox will let him have his way.

To make this movie work, there's going to have to be some seriously fckd up Giger out of this world shit to make it even remotely scary or suspenseful (or even mysterious).

I have my fingers crossed for Giger shit. The Alien can still be scary - I just really hope we get some shocking moment akin to the chestburster scene in the first film which is totally new and will emulate the kind of shock audiences had back then.

Think you misunderstood, when i said not going to be good enough i meant for us as the audience. I don't think it'll be good enough (for me anyway) to just rehash a similar story (alien kills cast) but with a better director and some brand names, we need more than that.

I'll be hoping for that chill up the spine when i see the trailer and not the "here we go again" thought.

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

Quote from: Highland on Apr 14, 2010, 01:28:22 PM

Think you misunderstood, when i said not going to be good enough i meant for us as the audience. I don't think it'll be good enough (for me anyway) to just rehash a similar story (alien kills cast) but with a better director and some brand names, we need more than that.

I'll be hoping for that chill up the spine when i see the trailer and not the "here we go again" thought.

I'm with you on that, although try to be optimistic, Ridley has a great track record, and did a fantastic job on the first film, it was full of original ideas - if he can't pull it off then no-one can.

I'll watch Robin Hood and base my hopes off how well he pulls that off - if he succeeds in going in a different direction, with some original ideas, then I'll stay hopeful  ;)

StarBeast79

StarBeast79

Yes, I agree that Scott's clout will have a positive affect on this film.  Here's a few examples of what happens when a director doesn't have clout on an Aliens film.

AVP--studio mandated a PG-13 cut from the outset.  Contrary to what Anderson has claimed, a PG-13 cut was the plan from the beginning.

Alien 3--the script was being altered and wasn't even near completion when filming began.  The multitude of producers kept dictating to Fincher what he would and would not do throughout the production.  No wonder he's completely disowned it.

A:R--studio mandates Winona Ryder be cast because she's supposedly hip and cool and will connect with a younger audience.

I'm all for strong character actors being cast.  Alien and Aliens without strong performances from working actors like Harry Dean Stanton, Bill Paxton, Yaphet Kotto, Ian Holm, Jennette Goldstein etc wouldn't have been half as good. I think Ron Perlman and Michael Wincott are great character actors and they were the only thing I liked in A:R.

However, what I don't want to see is someone like say Brad Pitt, Russell Crowe, or Angelina Jolie.  Not unless they have no problem being killed off early.  Seeing someone like that means I know who is going to live until at least the very end of the film.

Also, Scott has the clout to say no to whatever absurdities some jackass suit might come up with.  They can say "Ridley, we want a cat-alien, a killer crab alien, and a flying queen alien in the film. This will help us sell more toys," and Scott can threaten to quit, go to the press, etc.  At the end of filming they can say "Cut this this movie down to a PG rating.  We'll sell more tickets," and he'd also have the clout to fight it.

Then again, this flick is going to be in 3D, so who knows.  I hope that's because he wants to do it in 3D and not because the studio has mandated 3D or else.

I'm not a 3D fan.  Shit gives me a headache.

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

I'm also not too keen on 3D... but imagine some nice Giger designs in 3D - that would be worth it, IF they could get the man himself to do the work

Adey

Adey

Ridley does want and like 3D and said the tech he will use is better than what Cameron used. Read the interview.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed